Page 100 of 375 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Thanks for everyone for the opinions on the Seiko. Just got it in today. I really like it. Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate images on here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looking for watch advice. Want to buy a higher quality version of the Casio pictured below. Features I want:

12hr face with 24hr markings
    Day and date display
    Easily movable dive style bezel

My complaints with the Casio is that the bezel is very tight, almost impossible to turn, the face scratches very easily, and overall it's just a cheap plastic watch.

I'd like to keep the budget around $200 if possible, used is fine. This is a work watch and will live a fairly rough life. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Tom Fineis; 06-11-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

^^^ Be interested in what you find.

Being a Scuba diver, I also find most bezels pretty much useless unless you are talking a dedicated dive watch. I've even found some bezels rotate BOTH WAYS lolol.

Speaking of which, have you looked into Citizen dive watches?

Got the mrs. one a while back for her Open Water Cert. She really likes it. Very nice little watch.

Seiko also makes a solid watch:

Seiko Men's SKX007K Diver's Automatic Watch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B5MI3Q..._PElxxbSYC6TFW
    Last edited by RJ; 06-11-2016 at 08:17 PM.

I like the requirements Tom Fineis laid out.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I know rainbows have been culturally misappropriated and carry certain connotations these days, but I really like this watch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3647RK/

Attachment 8475
    I think that looks more like a color wheel than a rainbow. Anyway, cool looking watch
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, I believe it's not uncommon for "pilot" watches, as opposed to "dive" watches, to have a bezel that turns both ways. My Sinn 857 has a bidirectional bezel whereas their dive watch bezels are unidirectional.
    Very true; that shows my lack of Pilot experience.

"For diving", I'd prefer a unidirectional bezel which, if bumped, only serves to lengthen the dive time. That way, it would put me on a different (higher) point of nitrogen absorption on the dive tables (and thus safer).

PS Does anyone use Dive Tables anymore? Sigh...
    Last edited by RJ; 06-12-2016 at 06:30 AM.

@tom fineis
    http://www.casio.com/products/Watche...s/MRW200H-3BV/
    Has bidirectional bezel, though could probably be had for a fraction of the $200 you mentioned
    Eta: didn't notice you said didn't want a casio
    Last edited by Paltares8; 06-12-2016 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Very true; that shows my lack of Pilot experience.

"For diving", I'd prefer a unidirectional bezel which, if bumped, only serves to lengthen the dive time. That way, it would put me on a different (higher) point of nitrogen absorption on the dive tables (and thus safer).

PS Does anyone use Dive Tables anymore? Sigh...
    How are you safer if your watch gives you an inaccurate dive time? And how are you safer if your watch tells you that you have a longer bottom time? Am not clear as to what you were saying there.

As for the dive tables, in my experience (am a divemaster) nobody uses them anymore. Why do it when a computer gives you a constantly updated actual dive profile, keeps track of surface time, provides you with all the info you need for multiple dives?

Like everybody I used the tables, lived by them for many years and have quite happily left them behind. I still wear a dive watch as a backup in case of a dive computer failure because I can roughly tell how much bottom time I have left, but younger divers don't. My daughter is a dive instructor, wears two computers, and considers dive watches useless.

Dive watches are basically now fashion accessories for men for all practical purposes, they have lost their place in the scuba diving world. Sad, I still like them, but that's the reality. A $300 computer will serve you a thousand times better than a $7,000 Rolex in an actual dive.

^^^ A "longer" dive, even if accidental, will push you to a higher pressure group. This is safer, since it will tend to over state the amount of residual nitrogen in your tissues. This will in turn lead to a longer surface interval and hence a more conservative dive profile on a succeeding dive.

But I get what you are saying. Nobody would use a Dive Table slate these days. Sigh.

Rich
    PADI DM-55958.

PS I only used my Rolex on ONE dive; on The Wall off Seven Mile Beach In Cayman. At 124', that was probably a bad idea. But heck that was a while ago.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-12-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    @tom fineis
    http://www.casio.com/products/Watche...s/MRW200H-3BV/
    Has bidirectional bezel, though could probably be had for a fraction of the $200 you mentioned
    Eta: didn't notice you said didn't want a casio
    Yeah, that is the same watch I posted. I own one, a $16 Amazon special, but the bezel is basically useless (way too stiff), the face is cheap plastic that can barely be read after a month or two, and the battery lasted me less than a year.

I know the military face and dive bezel usually aren't on the same watch. I use the bezel to time medications, cardiac arrests, etc. A bi-directional bezel would be fine, as I'm just spinning the bezel to the minute hand when we start whatever we're doing, and I can easily say "It's been five minutes" or whatever other time I need. We also do everything in mil time and reading it off my wrist is easier than doing math. I have a rule not to do math in public.

Aware of the custom Seiko's and Luminox. I think I prefer a Quartz movement, just curious if anything other than Luminox exists.

Thanks for the input so far gents.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List