Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bad Idea # Eleventy Billion

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    rob_s - Do you have kids?
    Irrelevant to the question, but yes we do.

nice dodge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Irrelevant to the question
    No, it's not.

People without kids, often think they know how parenting works, and they have plenty of criticism and lots of answers. It's one of those things where you don't know how much you don't know. I've certain done this, and learned quite a number of lessons. My kids have gotten in to an amazing amount of stuff, despite our best efforts. It really does go back to the question I posted earlier.

I suppose this comes down to: Do you want guns to look like toys? No, I don't. My answer does not change if it's a new toy or an older toy.
    It's fine if you draw the line in a different location. I don't need to come up with every situation where it could be an issue. I look at that Glock and know it would trip up my kids. I'll avoid owning things which blur that line, you're free to draw your line as you see fit.

I'm not sure why you have such a chip on your shoulder when someone draws a different conclusion from you.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-17-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm genuinely curious, why all the antagonism?

(If you feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is. If you don't feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is.)
    A combination of this:

And this:

Personally, I was tripped up by the Glock, mainly because I'd previously only had exposure to this colorway for the Nintendo Zapper:

Alright, alright, I'm getting off your lawn, calm dawn.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-17-2016 at 02:18 PM.

No, it's not.

People without kids, often think they know how parenting works, and they have plenty of criticism and lots of answers. It's one of those things where you don't know how much you don't know. I've certain done this, and learned quite a number of lessons. My kids have gotten in to an amazing amount of stuff, despite our best efforts. It really does go back to the question I posted earlier.

It's fine if you draw the line in a different location. I don't need to come up with every situation where it could be an issue. I look at that Glock and know it would trip up my kids. I'll avoid owning things which blur that line, you're free to draw your line as you see fit.

I'm not sure why you have such a chip on your shoulder when someone draws a different conclusion from you.
    There's no chip, you just haven't adequately explained anything. Typically, that's when people start the "chip" and "you're being mean" and attempts to make the argument about me not the topic (this is at least your second, if not third, such attempt in this thread) nonsense. I'm not being mean, I'm asking you questions and disagreeing with the (limited) answers you give. The fact that you had to ask if I had any kids is a pretty clear indicator that you're struggling.

you're right, you don't need to come up with any situation at all. you are free to have a hysterical knee-jerk reaction to something you found online, post what you think is going to be a love parade on a forum, and then struggle when you can't figure out why the majority of the respondents don't agree like you thought they would.

To the topic at hand, despite your attempts to drag the discussion away from it, what harm is there in this gun? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're worried about.

Are you concerned that a child might find it, unsecured, and somehow inflict harm on themselves or others because they think it's a toy?

Are you concerned that a criminal might paint their gun like this in order to make a cop or someone else think it's a toy only to be able to get the drop on them or hesitate?

I don't get what you're worried about or why you think it's a bad idea, and so far you really haven't offered any sort of explanation at all. you don't need every situation, I'd just be interested to hear even one.

Site Supporter
    you just haven't adequately explained anything.
    It seems pretty clear to me. And the fact that others have commented that they saw my side (whether they agreed or not), or liked my post, indicates that it's adequately explained for others too.

Frankly, I have no interest in continuing this with you. You don't agree with me, and I'm just fine with that.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-17-2016 at 03:38 PM.

someone old enough to remember what a nintendo gun is but young enough to be stupid with same finds it unattended and unsecured and picks it up, loads or finds it loaded, and harms themselves or someone else?
    Millennials...
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I suppose this comes down to: Do you want guns to look like toys? No, I don't. My answer does not change if it's a new toy or an older toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    What about toys that look like guns?
    Slightly related: I was somewhat scolded at Rogers Shooting School for not treating a SIRT like a gun. They said it should be treated like a gun. I disagreed.
    This is kind of what I was alluding to with my question. Things like cap guns, or airsoft, or nerf, or water guns, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Things like cap guns, or airsoft, or nerf, or water guns, etc.
    The cap guns and water guns I've seen were obvious toys, but I certainly see your point with Airsoft guns. I don't have them around my house, but that wasn't an intentional act. For my purposes, which doesn't include FoF, Airsoft would be treated as a gun.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-17-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm genuinely curious, why all the antagonism?

(If you feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is. If you don't feel like this question is directed at you, it probably is.)
    Repressed hostility. It all goes back to staying at my grandparents house and being forced to watch the Andy Griffith show.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The cap guns and water guns I've seen were obvious toys, but I certainly see your point with Airsoft guns. I don't have them around my house, but that wasn't an intentional act. For my purposes, which doesn't include FoF, Airsoft would be treated as a gun.
    Thanks. I appreciate your point of view on it.

User Tag List