Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New pistol advice

Site Supporter

New pistol advice

I am looking at the following guns as new carry options. You all were very helpful in my decision to pick up a used Security Six, and now I need your advice again. Additionally, several of you have been very helpful in PMs. Thank you all for your time and advice.

Currently I use Glock, and while the SCD is nice, I prefer a manual safety or DA trigger. I have used both the DA/SA platform and the 1911 in the past. In May I hope to take a LAV course, so I will use either the new gun or my Glock in that course.

Beretta 92 Compact:

I like the idea of a manual safety if I decide to try AIWB carry and for admin handling. Plus Beretta has plenty of aftermarket accessories.

The only mods I would make to it out of the box is either a D or 14# spring and LTT grips. Possibly convert it to G if I hated the safety.

They are $440 on Buds.

My concern is that it will be too heavy for CCW and that using the safety will not be easy. My hands are not the biggest, and I can use the safety, it’s just not as easy as the 1911. Not sure if the LTT grips would help with this.

CZ P-07:

I have had them before, and I really like them. They are easy to shoot well and not too heavy. They are priced about the same as the B92 Compact.

If it were the P-07 vs the 92 G, then I would almost have to take the P-07. I am not sure there is any reliability/durability difference between the two.

If I CCW this, it would either be IWB or OWB.

Springfield 1911 Loaded Parkerized:

I like the safety features and appreciate the ease of shooting the 1911, especially one handed.
    Concerns are reliability, is Series 70 as safe as Series 80, and getting tired of lugging around the hunk of steel.

Cost is about $650.

It's the oddball option, and the one I am least logically interested in, but didn't want to leave it out.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-15-2019 at 12:58 AM.

I've spent over two decades futzing with 1911's. The ones that I have that work and are worthy of trusting my life to have a significant amount of time and money invested in them (a Jardine Colt, a Kimber pre-Series II by Virgil Tripp and Dave Berryhill, and a Colt worked over by Don Williams). The Springfield Loaded is just ok as just a range toy in stock form. You can drop another grand and a half into it "IF" you can get one of the very few decent 1911 smiths out there to work on it for you in a timely manner and then you might have something. As a base gun, there are much much better options out there.

I love me some Berettas (my little guide from over a decade ago is still on pistol-training.com), but for me I've actually found the full size 92FS conceals easier/better for me than the Compact or Centurion. The Compact has always kind of "meh" in my opinion. If you were talking a full-size I would say go that way all the way...especially a 92G with a straight dustcover (my personal preference) if you can find one cheap.

The P-07 is a great little pistol. If you've already had one then you know what they are all about.

Have you looked at a PX4 or SIG SP2022?
    Last edited by KevH; 03-15-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I've spent over two decades futzing with 1911's. The ones that I have that work and are worthy of trusting my life to have a significant amount of time and money invested in them (a Jardine Colt, a Kimber pre-Series II by Virgil Tripp and Dave Berryhill, and a Colt worked over by Don Williams). The Springfield Loaded is just ok as just a range toy in stock form. You can drop another grand and a half into it "IF" you can get one of the very few decent 1911 smiths out there to work on it for you in a timely manner and then you might have something. As a base gun, there are much much better options out there.

I love me some Berettas (my little guide from over a decade ago is still on pistol-training.com), but for me I've actually found the full size 92FS conceals easier/better for me than the Compact or Centurion. The Compact has always kind of "meh" in my opinion. If you were talking a full-size I would say go that way all the way...especially a 92G with a straight dustcover (my personal preference) if you can find one cheap.

The P-07 is a great little pistol. If you've already had one then you know what they are all about.

Have you looked at a PX4 or SIG SP2022?
    Yes I think you’re right about the 1911.

Why do you say the full sized conceals better than the compact?

I appreciate the SP2022, but it just seems awkward and bulky.

I have almost no experience with the PX4. It’s a platform I should really try.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Why do you say the full sized conceals better than the compact?
    It's counterintuitive I suppose, but with some guns (and some body-types) the full-size is just much easier to actually carry than the compact versions.

I'll put it this way. I cannot AIWB (or carry at the 4 o'clock IWB for that matter) a Colt OACP to save my life. It wants to tilt out of my pants. The 5" Government Model I can AIWB without any issues at all. There is good reason many good holster makers (like Alessi and Kramer) add material to the bottom of the stubby gun IWB holsters to help them stay put and not let the rig dig into your flesh to make it uncomfortable.

The 92 Compact always has felt too thick and stubby for me while carrying it and the same while shooting them. The Centurion was not too bad, but I adding another half inch to the slide and sight radius doesn't really cost me much.

AIWB the 92FS with a little cant is actually fairly easy to conceal. With the safety engaged it's probably the only gun I've (GASP) Mexican-carried up front (long before anyone had coined the term AIWB).
    Last edited by KevH; 03-15-2019 at 02:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    It's counterintuitive I suppose, but with some guns (and some body-types) the full-size is just much easier to actually carry than the compact versions.

I'll put it this way. I cannot AIWB (or carry at the 4 o'clock IWB for that matter) a Colt OACP to save my life. It wants to tilt out of my pants. The 5" Government Model I can AIWB without any issues at all. There is good reason many good holster makers (like Alessi and Kramer) add material to the bottom of the stubby gun IWB holsters to help them stay put and not let the rig dig into your flesh to make it uncomfortable.

The 92 Compact always has felt too thick and stubby for me while carrying it and the same while shooting them. The Centurion was not too bad, but I adding another half inch to the slide and sight radius doesn't really cost me much.

AIWB the 92FS with a little cant is actually fairly easy to conceal. With the safety engaged it's probably the only gun I've (GASP) Mexican-carried up front (long before anyone had coined the term AIWB).

Interesting. I’m only 5ft 4 in, and weigh about 175.

I wonder if this would have an impact on compact vs full size.

I’ll throw out a counter opinion. I can’t comfortably carry a full size 92. The extra slide / barrel length is just enough longer that it pokes me uncomfortably while seated. Also, the longer grip prints a little more than I’m comfortable with.

I carry a 92G compact frequently. The F is a no go for me. Even if the safety wasn’t counter intuitive to my many years on a 1911 safety, my thumb is too short to manipulate the 92 style safety, even if I did put the time in. I know you don’t have to carry safety on, but stuff happens.

I can’t recommend a 1911 for carry unless you’re going to really commit to it, and especially a 9mm. Ironically, my other carry is a Wilson EDC X9.

I'd take a CZ P-01 or PCR over anything you've listed.

They have a better DA/SA trigger than the P-07 and as good as a Beretta 92, on average. It's slimmer than a P-07, more compact than any 92 variant, and has a superior grip geometry compared to both.

Magazines are easily available and as cheap as Beretta mags. Holsters are stupid easy to find in any material and any style.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'd take a CZ P-01 or PCR over anything you've listed.

They have a better DA/SA trigger than the P-07 and as good as a Beretta 92, on average. It's slimmer than a P-07, more compact than any 92 variant, and has a superior grip geometry compared to both.

Magazines are easily available and as cheap as Beretta mags. Holsters are stupid easy to find in any material and any style.

I like the option because it would make the RAMI a smart choice for deeper concealment.

The down side with the CZ line ,besides the P-07, is the lack of ALS holsters. Still it’s a good thought.

How has the durability of your metal framed CZs been?
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-15-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Site Supporter
    @TheNewbie - Another possibility to check out would be the M&P 2.0 with thumb safety.

Reliability of my metal frame CZs has been solid. Both were traded used and I have no idea how many rounds were through it. My 75 has close to 6K rounds through it and my P-01 about 2K.

I only wear concealment holsters except in USPSA practice or matches so retention holster choices are not on my radar.

User Tag List