Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SS 9mm replacement cylinders for K frame

SS 9mm replacement cylinders for K frame

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Actually, everyone competing seriously with revolvers in USPSA and ICORE run .38 Short Colts.
    I beg to differ. 9mm outnumbered the .38 SC/LC almost 2-1 at the 2017 Nationals.

https://uspsa.org/magazine/view//2018-00#page=40

I regard IDPA rules as idiotic because they further handicap revolvers vs autos, when the revolver division is tiny. You’ve got to be die-hard revolver to shoot the division. If it could be more competitive, more people would shoot it. Plus I’d invest in an 8-shot revolver if I could run it in USPSA and IDPA. I’m not going to buy a 627 to shoot USPSA once a month.

IDPA already bears little semblance to real world. Not 10% of shooters run what they carry, or how they carry.

Who EDCs a Glock 34 under a shoot-me-first vest?
    Last edited by jtcarm; 03-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I beg to differ. 9mm outnumbered the .38 SC/LC almost 2-1 at the 2017 Nationals.

https://uspsa.org/magazine/view//2018-00#page=40
    Interesting.

It would be nice to know how many were surveyed. Any ideas? Percentiles mean more in the context of the sample size they represent.

Also to note: 99% of shooters are running handloaded ammo - the majority of them 160-grain Bayou Bullets. Whether they are running the 9mm 160 (.356" diameter) or the .38/.357 160 (.358" diameter) - the point remains that they aren't using factory .355" bullets. The reason why is because of sub-par accuracy from the 9mm guns using factory ammo.

Which returns us back to the OP - and my answer to the OP's question:

Don't spend your time converting a .357" barrel gun into a 9mm. .38 LRNs are currently about $230/1000 from various sources. The 9mm you're planning to shoot is probably cheaper, like $200/1000 but will likely give you sub-par accuracy.

Instead, take the cash spent on a conversion and buy a case or two of .38 and a stack of Safariland Comp III speed loaders or a stack of Speedbeez Dade-Type Loaders . Since you can't run 9mm moonclips in IDPA and you can't compete at a high level running a 6-shot gun in USPSA, speed reloading with a 9mm moonclip gun is cart before the horse in that realm.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Who EDCs a Glock 34 under a shoot-me-first vest?
    Not me. It's a 1911 under a shoot-me-first vest.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    The expense involved would allow purchase of a Ruger 9mm LCR. Then if you are not pleased, you can sell the Ruger.

Interesting.

It would be nice to know how many were surveyed. Any ideas? Percentiles mean more in the context of the sample size they represent.

There were 26 shooters at 2018 Revo Nationals. Probably all were surveyed, but such a small group represents a dead division.

Also to note: 99% of shooters are running handloaded ammo - the majority of them 160-grain Bayou Bullets. Whether they are running the 9mm 160 (.356" diameter) or the .38/.357 160 (.358" diameter) - the point remains that they aren't using factory .355" bullets. The reason why is because of sub-par accuracy from the 9mm guns using factory ammo.
    Correct. 3" to 5" groups at 25 from a rest out of 929s (with their long barrel and sight radius) is pretty much the norm. Put in a .358" hi-tek coated bullet and it shrinks to 1". You'll never get good accuracy out of a .3575" +/- .0005" barrel with .355 bullets. Remember the old Ruger SA .357 gun that came with a 9mm cylinder? Those extra cylinders didn't get used much.

Also with a .38 you can run moons, speedloaders or loose rounds if your gun is cut for moons. With 9mm you can't. Well I guess you could run loose rounds if the cylinder is reamed to headspace properly. My 625 will. But it's definitely a NY reload proposition.

Better still, spend that conversion cost on a Lee Classic Turret press kit ($219 on Amazon)

By purchasing components in bulk and loading cast bullets (that includes Hi Tek coated), you can produce .38 ammo for under 15-cents per round.

Let’s say you buy brass-cased .38 ammo for 25-cents apiece (about as cheap as you’ll get brass). Then the equipment will have paid for itself in 2500 rounds, or 6 months if you shoot 100 rounds per week.

I guess you can buy 9mm ammo for about the same price as the .38 handloads, but I would not be optimistic about the accuracy of a .355 factory bullet out of a .357 bore.

7cpr for rimrock 158 grain bullets.
    3cpr for primers
    $23/lbs of unique 5.2grains per round

Brass from 20cpr perfecta .38. Wish I bought more than 2 cases.

User Tag List