Page 55 of 725 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155555 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Just saw this. Don’t know enough to have a thought one way or the other. Doc?

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/I...vaccine-619101
    I clicked through and read the article, but I haven't searched the literature yet. However, "vaccine platforms" are a real thing. US DOD has funded some work for development of modular platforms to facilitate rapid vaccine production. It's entirely possible that a nimble company with a good platform already in hand could make a GMP prep of vaccine in 90 days. Performing all the required tests on the GMP batch of vaccine is what would take too long. If I were this company, I'd be trying to do the same thing. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they are successful.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    SOLGW posted today that IWA, the European equivalent to SHOT show has been cancelled.

http://soldiersystems.net/2020/02/27...edium=facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    CDC saying masks are not needed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...rus-2020-01-30

I don't have contact with the general public most days so I don't have to choose. I'm on an island and I'm retired.
    Didnt the cdc just release a facial hair and masks for dummies graphic. Not sure what to make of that statement...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Didnt the cdc just release a facial hair and masks for dummies graphic. Not sure what to make of that statement...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    The graphic was for respirator fit in general, not necessarily something made in response to this particular disease.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    SOLGW posted today that IWA, the European equivalent to SHOT show has been cancelled.
    I've a conference scheduled in three weeks in Ireland. The organizers sent a memo that they'll make extra Guinness and Jameson available. According to their preliminary research, sleeping through the illness reduces its perceived duration.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The NFC Forum, with whom I work, cancelled the meeting in Seattle scheduled for the week of 09-MAR. The direct (air travel, hotel, dining, et al declines) and indirect (developments and shipments are being slowed due to the inability to move both people and things) economic impacts are going to be a big drag on the economy. I have been doing my budget work for next year with the assumption that revenue is down 25%; that makes my SG&A much higher than it normally is. I will have to do some thing to avoid cutting headcount, like reallocating portions of my CapEx budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Just saw this. Don’t know enough to have a thought one way or the other. Doc?

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/I...vaccine-619101
    A vaccine will have to pass a lot of tests to be accepted, and this usually takes more time than the development of the vaccine itself. Then you have to gear up for producction.

I don't count on having a vaccine ready for at least a year.

Site Supporter
    Hannover Messe is a HUGE trade show coming up soon. Someone already mentioned 2020 Olympics in Japan. The impact on local, regional, national, and international commerce will be significant if these large events are cancelled or significantly downgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'd bet 70/30 against.
    Tokyo Marathon was just canceled.

Site Supporter
    WifeGBiv's employer (large global manufacturing company) cancelled all non-essential travel globally. Partly due to virus concerns and partly due to the need for offsetting what is expected to be a substantial impact to top-line revenue in the short term. Travel is a large but controllable expense. Better to phone/video meetings than have to lay people off or increase the risk of them getting sick.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List