Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restocking a Savage 110 Hog Hunter?

Restocking a Savage 110 Hog Hunter?

I have an unfired Hog Hunter in .308 that I’m trying to decide whether to keep or sell. If I could find a decent, inexpensive stock with a more upright wrist and a DBM conversion I’ll probably keep it. I was holding out to see if Magpul would ever come through with a Savage version of their Hunter stock, but they seem to be too busy making T-shirts and tchotchkes for the man bun crowd - it’s sad to see how this once good, serious company has fallen.

I really don’t want a chassis. Does anyone have any suggestions for an economical stock like this?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have an unfired Hog Hunter in .308 that I’m trying to decide whether to keep or sell. If I could find a decent, inexpensive stock with a more upright wrist and a DBM conversion I’ll probably keep it. I was holding out to see if Magpul would ever come through with a Savage version of their Hunter stock, but they seem to be too busy making T-shirts and tchotchkes for the man bun crowd - it’s sad to see how this once good, serious company has fallen.

I really don’t want a chassis. Does anyone have any suggestions for an economical stock like this?
    Decent and inexpensive tend not to occur in the same product when you're talking about rifle stocks, especially if you want a DBM. Most factory synthetic stocks are actually pretty good, so you can easily drop a couple of hundred bucks and see little or no improvement.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Decent and inexpensive tend not to occur in the same product when you're talking about rifle stocks, especially if you want a DBM. Most factory synthetic stocks are actually pretty good, so you can easily drop a couple of hundred bucks and see little or no improvement.

Okie John
    I’m aware that price vs. quality is a thing, but the Savage options are pretty poor - and even if I went to their DBM AccuStock, it still has the wrong type of wrist (I have a bad wrist, and the angle of “normal” rifle stocks hurt like hell after a few rounds.)

I’ve looked at B&C, but they’re blind mag. Maybe they can be economically inlet for DBM?

I was hoping something new came to market over the last few years since I last looked at doing this...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Maybe look at the PRS target stocks that are made for Savages. Some of them are light and they typically have a conversion for AICS mags included.

Site Supporter
    I have the 308win version (ie short action or Savage Model 10). I restocked mine with a Savage Model 14 monte carlo stock I got from GunBroker for about $45. I bought the bottom metal and magazine body from Savage, turning it into a DBM rifle. I can use the factory 4-round mags or the factory 10-round mags.

Name:  rifle1.jpg
Views: 4020
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  rifle2.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  30.5 KB

Chris

This may be playing a little fast and loose with your "inexpensive" requirement, but there's this:

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...by-Choate.html

https://www.tacticalworks.com/CDI-Pr...5-spacing.html
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    This may be playing a little fast and loose with your "inexpensive" requirement, but there's this:

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...by-Choate.html

https://www.tacticalworks.com/CDI-Pr...5-spacing.html
    I saw that, but I’ve never though of Choate as being worthwhile. Have they changed in the last 30 or so years?
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 11-07-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    Ken

I saw that, but I’ve never though of Choate as being worthwhile. Have they changed in the last 30 or so years?
    I get that. I hear Choate and the first thing I think it "cheap SKS stock." But that Tactical Stock seems to be pretty decent. I have one, and it works for me. Other reviews that I've seen seem to mirror my experience with it.

My only complaint is that I needed to add a riser to get a good cheek weld, but the riser blocks removal of the bolt for cleaning. (or maybe you can get the bolt out, but then can't get a cleaning rod in from the rear. - Been a while since I've looked at it) Not a huge deal, it's only one screw to remove , but a minor inconvenience.

Also, I would not choose this stock for a carry-through-the-woods hunting gun. With the DBM floorplate is's something like 4+ lbs before you even add the action and barrel. For a bench gun, it's good though.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Have you looked at Stockys stocks? I have not used them, but their prices are good.

https://www.stockysstocks.com
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Have you looked at Stockys stocks? I have not used them, but their prices are good.

https://www.stockysstocks.com
    They don’t seem to offer much to allow conversion of a blind mag Savage to DBM.
    Ken

User Tag List