Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Grip a Handgun. Robert Vogel

How to Grip a Handgun. Robert Vogel

Robert Vogel of Vogel Dynamics discusses the proper technique in gripping a handgun for fast and accurate shooting.

I find this to be really concise and well presented, and very agreeable in content. Thank you for taking the time to post it!
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I find this to be really concise and well presented, and very agreeable in content. Thank you for taking the time to post it!
    This.

Thanks!

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I've watched this a couple of times and I get most of what he is saying. But the roll your elbows up seems to reduce the support hand palm contact with the grip.

He's not saying roll elbows up to the point that the bottom hands aren't on the grip is he? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I find that when I follow this guidance of rolling the elbows, the very bottom of my support hand is not touching the grip, but I do get extra-heavy contact at the top of the pistol's grip with the meaty part of the base of my thumb/palm area. I think that this is a worthwhile trade.

I try to use Vogel's grip, except that my thumbs remain more parallel, with my support thumb along the dust cover instead of all the way down onto my support hand index finger.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I find that when I follow this guidance of rolling the elbows, the very bottom of my support hand is not touching the grip, but I do get extra-heavy contact at the top of the pistol's grip with the meaty part of the base of my thumb/palm area. I think that this is a worthwhile trade.

I try to use Vogel's grip, except that my thumbs remain more parallel, with my support thumb along the dust cover instead of all the way down onto my support hand index finger.
    Depends on the gun in my experience.

For example I can use the upward elbow roll on a Glock but it doesn't work as well on the P2000. The extra piece of hand pushing on the upward side of the roll interferes with the slide catch. For the P2000 a downward elbow roll works best.

I think the key is the inward pressure from the support hand vs what part of the gun it is particularly applied to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Robert Vogel of Vogel Dynamics discusses the proper technique in gripping a handgun for fast and accurate shooting.
    I would call his technique "one of the techniques that work really well" rather than "the proper technique". There are other shooters who are even more accomplished than him and they don't do everything like he does.

I recommend trying the Vogel technique, because it can be instructive to do things even if you don't like the results.

For me, rolling the elbows

1) Is unnecessary for producing sufficient force on the gun
    2) Causes tension and fatigue in my arms and shoulders
    3) Because of (2) reduces my ability to transition quickly, smoothly, and precisely
    4) Doesn't work well in a leaning position where one arm can't be extended as much as the other
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I recommend trying the Vogel technique, because it can be instructive to do things even if you don't like the results.

For me, rolling the elbows

1) Is unnecessary for producing sufficient force on the gun
    2) Causes tension and fatigue in my arms and shoulders
    3) Because of (2) reduces my ability to transition quickly, smoothly, and precisely
    4) Doesn't work well in a leaning position where one arm can't be extended as much as the other
    Absolutely try and test everything from everyone. That's how we end up adapting various microtechniques to form our own.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I've watched this a couple of times and I get most of what he is saying. But the roll your elbows up seems to reduce the support hand palm contact with the grip.

He's not saying roll elbows up to the point that the bottom hands aren't on the grip is he? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    No, he isn't saying that. I'd counter that if your hands are loosing contact with the gun at all when you roll your elbows up, you aren't gripping hard enough (or your grip strength isn't sufficient to begin with). It acts to change the force vectors at the hand/gun interface itself, favoring the top of the grip, which increases the PSI, which increases the friction, all else being the same. Rotating inwards would have the same effect with the friction bias being towards the base of the grip, versus the top.

User Tag List