Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Well, it looks like it won't be Tucson, I've landed in North AZ

I have maintained for some years that if I had a young shooter that I wanted to start off with the best possible training, I would send them first to a Rogers Basic Class and then to 250 at Gunsite, to learn mindset.

My wife and I took our first class, API 270 the rifle class taught by Jeff Cooper, in 1991 before we went to Botswana hunting on our honeymoon, so we have a long association. Their facility is incredible, and for experienced shooters I would pass on the pistol classes and take the facility intensive classes like carbine (223 and 556), rifle (270), shotgun (260), Precision Rifle, and the various specialty classes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'll say this for Gunsite:

They had four instructors in the class I took at Rogers. They had numerous instructors attend the Rangemaster NWTacCon. Several took Gabe White's class this past week. While they are obviously tied to the Gunsite doctrine, they aren't shutting themselves out to other stuff out there. Ken Campbell states that the doctrine is evolving.

I took a class (Shotgun 260) at Gunsite this past October. I'm hoping to back for a pistol class there. Even if you find yourself at odds with some doctrinal things, their facilities offer opportunities that you just don't get on the travel circuit.

As for the temperature difference mentioned above, I left Paulden in mid-afternoon, and the temp was in the 60s. An hour and a half later when I stopped in Flagstaff, the temp was in the low 40s.

Sedona is also only an hour and a half away from Ben Avery in the Phoenix area; so, there are plenty of training options available.
    Thank you very much for the input, good to know that they are well versed in the other "more evolved" approaches as well. And you know, if nothing else Gunsite is sort of like a historical landmark so it bears visiting for sure, or just to experience the world class facilities.
    As far as Gabe White, sadly I missed his class when he first came to N. GA, as I was living in Athens GA at the time.

I think Ben Avery is a must visit for me for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Only place I was ever airsick was about 1000' AGL over Sedona...
    Where you in a plane or hiking?!

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I still have red dirt in the family tent from Sedona. Just doesn't go away.
    Vortex dirt

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have maintained for some years that if I had a young shooter that I wanted to start off with the best possible training, I would send them first to a Rogers Basic Class and then to 250 at Gunsite, to learn mindset.

My wife and I took our first class, API 270 the rifle class taught by Jeff Cooper, in 1991 before we went to Botswana hunting on our honeymoon, so we have a long association. Their facility is incredible, and for experienced shooters I would pass on the pistol classes and take the facility intensive classes like carbine (223 and 556), rifle (270), shotgun (260), Precision Rifle, and the various specialty classes.
    Good to know for sure, and since I've got a few pistol and 556 carbine classes under my belt with other trainers, I've got my eye on Battle Rifle to start with, but it is a 5 day class so that may be time prohibitive, but I am definitely keeping that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Thank you very much for the input, good to know that they are well versed in the other "more evolved" approaches as well. And you know, if nothing else Gunsite is sort of like a historical landmark so it bears visiting for sure, or just to experience the world class facilities.
    As far as Gabe White, sadly I missed his class when he first came to N. GA, as I was living in Athens GA at the time.

I think Ben Avery is a must visit for me for sure!

In the classroom in which my class was held, some of Jeff Cooper's course manuals were in a display case along with a bunch of memorabilia.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Where you in a plane or hiking?!
    EH60 out of Huachuca.
    Name:  QF_Wolf.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  31.6 KB
    And I swear it was more than 12 hours "bottle to throttle." OTOH, they were pushing to get me through the training, in the face of some nasty weather. I still maintain I would have been okay if the PC (who was also the OIC of the course) hadn't cracked open that can of dip...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In the classroom in which my class was held, some of Jeff Cooper's course manuals were in a display case along with a bunch of memorabilia.
    He was a charismatic warrior philosopher for sure and to be venerated.

Last edited by DacoRoman; 01-11-2019 at 02:17 PM.

EH60 out of Huachuca.
    Name:  QF_Wolf.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  31.6 KB
    And I swear it was more than 12 hours "bottle to throttle." OTOH, they were pushing to get me through the training, in the face of some nasty weather. I still maintain I would have been okay if the PC (who was also the OIC of the course) hadn't cracked open that can of dip...
    Very Cool..
    But that dip will get 'ya I tell you!

EH60 out of Huachuca.

Used to see and hear Hueys out of NAD around Sedona and the Verde. I always loved the sound of Hueys.

User Tag List