Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use of slide lock is unsafe?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    If you think about it, there's not a whole lot of difference in what the slide is doing if you hit the slide lock to release the slide, or pull the slide back back to release, or fire a round so that the action cycles normally.
    That was my thought also. If anything, sling shotting the slide would seem to cause greater slide velocity given that the slide will travel a longer distance than the release from slidelock.
    Last edited by AlwaysLearning; 04-07-2019 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    What pistol? Some are not designed to be conveniently used as a slide release.

ETA: But even on those it is not likely to result in a slam fire.
    Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    That was my thought also. If anything, sling shotting the slide would seem cause greater slide velocity given that the slide will travel a longer distance than the release from slidelock.
    And if your gun has been bubba'd up enough to slamfire on the slidelock, it'll keep going on the shooting part too.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Glock.
    Some class or other I attended it was noted that Glocks have slide stops, not slide releases; that is, the slide stop is so small because it is not intended to be used as a slide release. YMMV. IANAL. You be you. And Fight The Derp!

That said, which of the three methods of releasing the slide (overhand, slingshot, or slide stop) is best is one of those perennial topics along with 9mm v .45, 1911 v. Glock, and whether the FAST should be used as a drill.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-07-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Hi,
    Had a safety question. While shooting at a range, I was told that when reloading a pistol I should not release the slide with the slide lock because it was unsafe and could cause the pistol to slam fire. I'd never heard this before. Is it true?

Thanks
    I'm really curious what method this instructor thought would chamber the first round without slam fire. Did they tell you the "right" way?

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I'm really curious what method this instructor thought would chamber the first round without slam fire. Did they tell you the "right" way?
    I bet they did... and I bet it involved the phrase “gross motor skillz”.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I was told to use what I think is called the "overhand" method.

Site Supporter

Derp

Derp a derp a derp a derp a derp...

Rumors to the contrary, the slide release works very well on a Glock. If the standard OEM part is too smoll for someone to run it with their thumb, the factory and aftermarket have you covered. In fact, the new hotness Glocks come with ambi slide releases.

Do what makes you comfortable and happy, I’ll keep on dropping the slide the fast, efficient way.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And if your gun has been bubba'd up enough to slamfire on the slidelock, it'll keep going on the shooting part too.
    This. If it slam fires on loading, it's going to slam fire until it's empty or FTF.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I would remove that person from my list of credible sources.
    David

User Tag List