Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lapping an AR receiver?

Lapping an AR receiver?

If you’ve done this, using a kit like this, I’m interested in hearing if it helped.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you’ve done this, using a kit like this, I’m interested in hearing if it helped.
    I've not done one with an existing gun, so I can't compare before and after. It doesn't seem to have made a difference on my 20" build though.

Chris

Site Supporter
    BTW, if you want to try it, we can work something out. This is the sort of tool, while not expensive, is a limited use item unless you're building a bunch of rifles. Being made of steel means it'll last forever when used against aluminum ARs.

This is the one I have: Brownells AR Lapping Tool. it doesn't come with lapping compound, so I used the compound from my old barrel lapping kit. It was finer, so took a bit longer.

BTW, the same goes for anyone in the NoVA region who may be reading this. I have two ARs with no plans to build more. I don't see this getting further use by me.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Isn’t this going to remove the anodizing from the inside of your receiver and accelerate wear ?

It seems like this is something that should be done before anodizing.

I researched this a bit, lots of folks reporting that their windage went to just dead center after lapping.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I researched this a bit, lots of folks reporting that their windage because just dead center after lapping.
    Not parsing your statement.

"their windage because just dead center..."?

Did you have a stroke?

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Isn’t this going to remove the anodizing from the inside of your receiver and accelerate wear ?

It seems like this is something that should be done before anodizing.
    It doesn't touch the inside of the receiver. The portion of the tool that rotates within receiver extension where the barrel inserts is reduced in diameter. It's not quite as reduced where it sits in the bolt channel (prob wrong terms), so it doesn't cause any wear as long as you lube it well. The only place it removes anodizing or metal is where it contacts the receiver face and that's because you use lapping compound at that spot.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Not parsing your statement.

"their windage because just dead center..."?

Did you have a stroke?

Chris
    Do you even typo, bro.
    #RESIST

I have one, and it’s helped since I prefer A frame FSBs - even with quality upper receivers. It doesn’t take much.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    BTW, if you want to try it, we can work something out. This is the sort of tool, while not expensive, is a limited use item unless you're building a bunch of rifles. Being made of steel means it'll last forever when used against aluminum ARs.

This is the one I have: Brownells AR Lapping Tool. it doesn't come with lapping compound, so I used the compound from my old barrel lapping kit. It was finer, so took a bit longer.

BTW, the same goes for anyone in the NoVA region who may be reading this. I have two ARs with no plans to build more. I don't see this getting further use by me.

Chris
    I’ll hit you up for my 5.45 sooner or later. It needs a new rail and I’ll lap it then.
    #RESIST

User Tag List