Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: See what you need to see training.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Simple, right?
    Simple, not easy!
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I am seeing really good improvements from running this drill 5x a week. I'm not practicing more in terms of time than I have in the past, but I am seeing improvements on a weekly basis.

Previously my practice was less structured, and this drill has provided structure and direction. It's helped me to practice with purpose. It's not just doing the drill that has helped me. Instead it's learning to see what I need to at the various distances and pay attention to what is happening.

Seriously, it's ten minutes or less per day.

I started a week early so I'm about 4 weeks into it and things are really starting to click.

@JCS

I think having a drill that pushes people out of their comfort zone and forces them to shift gears in a single session can bring out the differences in vision and trigger press. Giving three different SWYNTS mental maps.

It’s so easy to just keep doing things the same way over and over but you don’t get better that way.

I love what @ssb and others have discovered in their mechanics and vision.

It’s kind of like deconstructed classifier training. When I would break down a classifier like “can you count” a close up draw and reload has to be at a certain speed and accuracy to make a certain standard. Once I got past the initial shock of it being outside my skill set, I was able to accept that’s what the required skill set was for where I wanted to be.

That’s about a 3 yard distance and you have to get all alphas.

You can see how SWYNTS training is a building block component of core action pistol skills.

Wrapping up the month

As we get to the end of the month, I'm starting to build the next phase drills for you guys. If people have tried this even if they didn't commit to the month of dry, post up impressions and thoughts.

Will post some summary thoughts of why and what to close out this phase within the next week. This is only step 1 but a critical fundamental building block to build on.

Will try another group training thread in the journals for people who are interested.

Post up or "like" to be included in the next phase.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    As we get to the end of the month, I'm starting to build the next phase drills for you guys. If people have tried this even if they didn't commit to the month of dry, post up impressions and thoughts.

Will post some summary thoughts of why and what to close out this phase within the next week. This is only step 1 but a critical fundamental building block to build on.

Will try another group training thread in the journals for people who are interested.

Post up or "like" to be included in the next phase.
    I'm in on phase two!

I'm starting to lower the pars on this with the goal still being visually seeing what I need to for the respective distance.

One other thing this drill taught me is that I overconfxrm on reloads also. Post reload I'm letting the dot settle like a 15 yard shot on a 7 yard reload.

Definitely in for part 2!

I just did the last day of week 4 on this, so really only Monday and Tuesday left in the original one-month challenge.

I have taken to doing several 3 yard draws at the outset to get some speed in place, and then stepping back to the 15 yard draws. I feel like I have a lot of time on these. They are relaxed, and I am increasingly having a good time watching the dot just hang out right near/on the 2" circle. I feel comfortable at 15 yards, and I feel good about the split pace, counting like a one-and. At 7 yards I am more or less on track. Don't feel like I have a lot of time, but I feel like I generally get two good trigger presses in before the beep. At 3 yards, today was a good day. I felt like I was seeing the dot reasonably well on presentation and getting the two shots off in time. Live fire will tell.

This was a very productive drill for this month. I feel like I've learned a lot. I am still doing the visualization before each rep, and I find that is hugely helpful. I am continuing to adjust the way I'm gripping the gun, and I feel like that's going well. I do think it is holding me back a little bit in my progress on SWYNTS--I mean, I think I would feel in dry fire like I was able to go faster if I had just left my grip like before. But I think in the long run doing the SWYNTS while working to get my grip improved is a big help.

Will report on live fire whenever I get a chance to shoot this live over the next few days or week.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Drill, training and test.

One of the things I love about this is that people are taking these skills and applying them to their favorite standards and seeing the clear improvement.

That’s one of my big criticisms about normal “standards.” They’re not drills or training. They’re tests.

So they don’t teach you to get better, they just test where you’re at.

This training is training, a drill and a test all in one.

It gives a mechanism for improving and tracking improvement which is what’s so different. Because frankly most people don’t know how to get better.

I look at these training journals and people don’t get much better. Maybe they don’t want to invest the time. Maybe they just don’t know how to get there.

But it’s so much more fun to be awesome.

Basically I do SWYNTS components as the mainstay of my range practice.

Today working iron sighted 1911 doubles at 10 yards at a 0.20-21 cadence.

Name:  BB9C8577-6E7F-456C-A6D9-EA2EF56D77FC.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  36.9 KB

I’m working on seeing and timing.

Working on my visual cues and my mechanics.

Working on tightening up the group with the same cadence.

0.18 splits with iron 1911 at 5 yards.

Name:  D9A01944-BA98-45C9-9218-6AE46E06E5B9.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  69.4 KB

It’s just constantly playing with cadence, rhythm and vision timing.

SWYNTS NEXT STEPS

Vision, timing and recoil management are applicable to all different platforms.

Basically I go through the same process and experiment with what kind of timing I can do, then work to improve grouping. Then apply that timing to a longer distance and rinse and repeat.

PCC 10 yard 0.14 split doubles.

Name:  95D30047-74F7-4E70-9473-B38BC385F673.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  50.9 KB

So I think like most things, people’s motivation and participation flags and fizzles.

Without shooting sports, I know that my motivation would also fizzle and I would say “good enough.”

What I’ll do is keep advancing this thread and people can jump in at whatever point they’d like and pipe in whenever.

For the people who actively want to have drills designed for their level, we will push forward.

@JCS
    @Moylan
    @Q5shooter
    @ViniVidivici
    @Mike C
    @Risto

I’ll tag along. Life got in the way these past two weeks so I haven’t made five days per week, much less posted. I found this beneficial.

User Tag List