Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ollie North ousted from his NRA role

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The House did pass CCR in 2017:https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ry-reciprocity

It wasn’t Republicans that kept CCR from becoming law. We didn’t have enough votes in the Senate for a cloture vote because we couldn’t convince enough Democrat Senators (even those in shall-issue states that already recognize permits from every state) to vote for the bill.
    What was offered in return? Anything? No legislative horse-trading?

First off, I believe that McConnell and the Senate leadership didn't want to use any of their political capital on behalf of a 2A bill.

Second, if you weld yourself to one political party, you're not going to get anything from the other party.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

What federal bills on abortions or gay rights are you talking about?
    Not a bill, but things like Trump rescinding transgender bathroom protections, banning transgender from the military, and blocking citizenship for children of gay Americans born overseas.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 05-20-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What was offered in return? Anything? No legislative horse-trading?

First off, I believe that McConnell and the Senate leadership didn't want to use any of their political capital on behalf of a 2A bill.

Second, if you weld yourself to one political party, you're not going to get anything from the other party.
    Now you're just trying to get me in trouble with the Virginia Bar.

We really don't want to be a single party issue, and, at the state level, there are still some really pro-gun Democrats. I had a Democrat legislator in Kentucky extol the virtues of his Rifle Dynamics AKs to me while discussing a bill to reduce/eliminate training requirements in Kentucky. (we ended up getting permitless carry instead).

We endorsed over 60 Democrats at the federal level in 2010 (about 20% of our endorsements). While some unhelpful rhetoric doesn't help, the money that Bloomberg is willing to throw at Democrats (and the ACA vote that killed the blue dog caucus) are the real problems for us in reaching out to Democrats at the federal level. Even the new class of "moderate" dems (and our last two endorsed dems in the House) voted for this terrible bill.

Coincidently, I started in ILA in 2010. So, it might just be my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I completely understand keeping the base excited to raise money, but would be more impressed if they took that money and produced results worthy of $1.4 million salaries. It doesn't matter how bad a threat we face, throwing money into the excessive lifestyles of those who succeed only at raising more money fails to address that threat.
    I’ve already said my piece on the old guard ‘s lack of touch in other threads. That said, I will say that I am fine with suits and salaries and sides, oh my, if the results are there. If we saw CCW reciprocity and a firm SCOTUS on bearing outside the home, I’d be fine with my donations going to whatever luxuries float the old guard’s boat.

Hell, for nationwide CCW and a firm opinion, I’d learn how to fit WLP for a field of bespokes myself.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    The House did pass CCR in 2017:https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ry-reciprocity

It wasn’t Republicans that kept CCR from becoming law. We didn’t have enough votes in the Senate for a cloture vote because we couldn’t convince enough Democrat Senators (even those in shall-issue states that already recognize permits from every state) to vote for the bill.
    Unlike some here, I am 100% willing to believe that Trump is solidly in our corner.

I am not so willing to believe that about the rest of the GOP.

If the GOP was even remotely serious about that bill, they would have scheduled it to get through the House soon enough to at least try to get it through the Senate. Concealed carry is something even some Democrats have been able st support.

One of the biggest problems I have with the GOP is the attitude of "we don't have the votes so why bother even trying."

How about offering a statutory bump stock ban (that is drafted with careful NRA-ILA and Second Amendment Foundation input to ensure no unintended consequences) in exchange for national concealed carry reciprocity? Now do we have the votes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’ve already said my piece on the old guard ‘s lack of touch in other threads. That said, I will say that I am fine with suits and salaries and sides, oh my, if the results are there. If we saw CCW reciprocity and a firm SCOTUS on bearing outside the home, I’d be fine with my donations going to whatever luxuries float the old guard’s boat.

Hell, for nationwide CCW and a firm opinion, I’d learn how to fit WLP for a field of bespokes myself.
    An argument can be made that if you want the best, you have to pay for it. As a big believer in the law of supply and demand, I can relate to that argument.

However, in most private industry, salary is directly proportional to performance expectations and inversely proportional to job security if those performance expectations are not met.

When I see NRA Tweets attacking doctors as a whole (the stay in your lane fiasco), rather than explaining, in greater detail, why a small number of doctors in charge of certain medical organizations have it wrong, that does not reflect the performance I expect of a $1.4 million salary, or even a $140,000 salary. Drop that salary down to $14,000, and now it matches the intelligence of that decision.

Show me the results, and then we can discuss whether I should donate to support an annual salary an order of magnitude over what I earn for my family.

Something else I expect at any salary level is integrity.

If a decision maker is getting paid by NRA TV, ultimately out of the NRA's pocket, clear it with the board first.

If a decision maker feels he needs more money for expensive clothes, or to travel by charter plane, or to buy an expensive home for an intern, present those requests and reasons for those requests to the board first.

Although I think that at some point, (perhaps somewhere in the $500,000/year range?) the top people in a nonprofit need to accept that they are there for the cause, and money should go to the cause rather than their lifestyle, if, and only if, the results and integrity are there, I can accept the high salary.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 05-20-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

However, in most private industry, salary is directly proportional to performance expectations and inversely proportional to job security if those performance expectations are not met.
    I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Now you're just trying to get me in trouble with the Virginia Bar.
    Explain this one, please. I don't understand how anything I've said would cause you to violate legal ethics.

Feel free to PM if you wish.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 05-21-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Explain this one, please. I don't understand how anything I've said would cause you to violate legal ethics.

Feel free to PM if you wish.
    You asked for the disclosure of non-public info that I don't believe I have implied consent to share. Application of rule 1.6 to dual-role in-house counsel is somewhat complicated, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Site Supporter

John Cornyn agreed to split Fix NICS from reciprocity in 2017. WHY?
    And without a fight. Not even a whiff of "You get something, we get something".

Sure, the media would have made some hay over the fight. So what? They were gonna make hay over something.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-news...-going-nowhere
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List