Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Another video about the Midwest Industries AK stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I would like to have one good AK. Doesn't have to be state of the art, but first rate quality. Just basic AK.

I have a WASR and an OPAP (plan to divest both and get one good AK).

Can anyone save me 93 pages? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I would like to have one good AK. Doesn't have to be state of the art, but first rate quality. Just basic AK.

You might consider FB Radom Beryl rifle. Though it's due to change soon, the Poles are using the military version of it now in 5.56. Commercial, it also comes in 7.62x39.

They're very hard to come by right now - shipments of the 5.56 sell out in minutes at $1569.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    You might consider FB Radom Beryl rifle. Though it's due to change soon, the Poles are using the military version of it now in 5.56. Commercial, it also comes in 7.62x39.

They're very hard to come by right now - shipments of the 5.56 sell out in minutes at $1569.
    I would agree with Jaywalker that the Beryl is probably the most up to date foreign made AK available on the market. It would be a great (but pricy) buy. I’m not sure how much it deviates from the AKM standard but that may become a problem if you want to add accessories that are not specifically for the Beryl.

Then again - Arsenal is pretty much the standard for well built AKs.

Why however are the OPAP and WASR not “good” AKs? As far as being able to do AK things they are more than capable enough and especially in the case of the WASR - can be easily upgraded into a modern AK.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-24-2023 at 10:20 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I would agree with Jaywalker that the Beryl is probably the most up to date foreign made AK available on the market. It would be a great (but pricy) buy. I’m not sure how much it deviates from the AKM standard but that may become a problem if you want to add accessories that are not specifically for the Beryl.

Then again - Arsenal is pretty much the standard for well built AKs.

Why however are the OPAP and WASR not “good” AKs? As far as being able to do AK things they are more than capable enough and especially in the case of the WASR - can be easily upgraded into a modern AK.
    @Willard This is something to consider. Back in the day I sold a buddy a wasr so I could buy an Arsenal. After shooting the two side by side I realized my fancy new arsenal didn’t do anything the WASR couldn’t do except have modern furniture and a threaded barrel.

WASR is fine unless early century butchered mag well.

OPAP not so fine. Zastava poor heat treat and QC issues affected that line as well. I had to dump both of mine for egging the FCG holes and other heat treat issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

If you really want to upgrade to a model that you’ll feel the difference, IMHO, it will be stepping into a milled receiver gun. They shoot noticeably smoother and while heavier they are better balanced due to the extra weight being in the receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I regret getting rid of my SAR-1 (prerunner of the WASR line) - especially with all the cool stuff coming out from Midwest. Now I have myself wishing for an AKM pattern gun to serve as a basis for an Alpha build.

My “second” AK (after the Valmet) was an Arsenal SA93 milled gun. It’s mostly debanned now and while I do agree it is a smoother rifle overall than my ZPAPs, when it comes down to shooting I don’t really appreciate the difference.

If you @Willard are wanting an AK that has nice (Western) fit and finish then I understand wanting to offload the WASR and would suggest the Arsenal or the Polish Jack (although there are reports of poor stock fitment with the recent batch) or maybe find a Hungarian SA-85. Keep in mind that most Arsenals are milled guns which means that you will be a bit more limited in terms of what accessories are available for the gun. If you are wanting an AK with the classic look that a milled gun will be perfect, if you are wanting to accessorize it, then I would look for an AKM pattern gun. From my experience the Polish and Hungarian guns have been the AKMs that exhibit the best fit and finish of the more commonly available AKM pattern rifles. If you are just looking for a modern AK to leave alone and enjoy than the Beryl would probably be where I would go.

Palmetto would be a good way to go as well, but keep in mind that imported guns are seen as “cooler” within the AK world so if that is an important factor I would buy an import.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-24-2023 at 01:12 PM.

I am not a high round count AK kind of guy. The ones I had or currently have are range toys.

A good friend is an AK guy. His opinion is Russian>Bulgarian>Romanian> everything else, which is a toss up. I trust him as he is at a pretty high level, built quite a few kits, and has engineered components for upgrading them.

As stated, my experience is limited but the two Saigas ran with no issues, one in 5.45 and the other in 223. Arsenal, one in 223 and the other in 7.62x39 were good and no issues. The 223 is on a milled receiver and is exceptionally accurate for an AK. I've had a couple kit builds in 5.45. One was a Century Tantal in 5.45. Ran great but the accuracy was poor because they put the wrong barrels on then.

I currently have a PSA blem in 7.62x39 that was bought as a kit about 5 years ago. I put it together and it has run on the 5 or 6 mags I have put through it.

I really like recoil pulse on the 5.45x39 and 223/5.56 AK as it feels closer to the AR that I shoot more often.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am not a high round count AK kind of guy. The ones I had or currently have are range toys.

A good friend is an AK guy. His opinion is Russian>Bulgarian>Romanian> everything else, which is a toss up. I trust him as he is at a pretty high level, built quite a few kits, and has engineered components for upgrading them.

As stated, my experience is limited but the two Saigas ran with no issues, one in 5.45 and the other in 223. Arsenal, one in 223 and the other in 7.62x39 were good and no issues. The 223 is on a milled receiver and is exceptionally accurate for an AK. I've had a couple kit builds in 5.45. One was a Century Tantal in 5.45. Ran great but the accuracy was poor because they put the wrong barrels on then.

I currently have a PSA blem in 7.62x39 that was bought as a kit about 5 years ago. I put it together and it has run on the 5 or 6 mags I have put through it.

I really like recoil pulse on the 5.45x39 and 223/5.56 AK as it feels closer to the AR that I shoot more often.
    While I don't have the expertise of @Hizzie and @Suvorov I can offer some observations from my recent research. First, a milled Arsenal in 7.62x39 will "take you to Hell and back" (per another person in the previous 90-some pages). However, Arsenal is seeing excessive 5.56 bolt carrier tail peening that they still haven't come to terms with. The workaround is apparently a replacement KNS adjustable gas piston, but it can be annoying to have to do your own fix when you're spending $2k on a rifle. Also, please be aware that spending that on an Arsenal will not exempt you from the possibility of canted sights, etc., endemic to the AK.

In general, 7.62 AKs are pretty standard for magazines, but you may have significantly more trouble with 5.56 magazine and their incompatibility. It appears that adding 5.56 to their lineup was an obvious move, but each factory may have chosen a different route to get there. FWIW, I was searching for a 5.56 AK and recently decided to go with a starter AK in 7.62 - probably a WASR 10 or a Zastava ZPAP M70 - less trouble at the expense of stocking a different caliber. Again, FWIW.

User Tag List