Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Week 258: Five-Yard Roundup

http://blog.krtraining.com/five-yard-roundup-drill/ I thought this write up about the drill from KR was interesting. It was also interesting that even though a lot of us talked big about how easy this drill is in the other thread about it, it was shown among a fantastic group of shooters that it wasn't all that easy to clean with only Mas doing it.

Site Supporter
    @MVS - My guess is that Mas was better able to slow down enough to add more precision. I bet there were a bunch of folks with scores in the high 90s who had enough time for another cup of coffee before the second beep.

Brings to mind the old saying: Hang out with old guys. They know shit.

it was shown among a fantastic group of shooters that it wasn't all that easy to clean with only Mas doing it.
    My guess is that Mas was better able to slow down enough to add more precision. I bet there were a bunch of folks with scores in the high 90s who had enough time for another cup of coffee before the second beep.
    The 5 Yard at Tac Con was shot on turning targets - pretty quick turning targets and a scoring of "miss" if your shot tore a hole more than 2" due to being late. I wouldn't discount the effect of the turning targets from the standpoint of psychological pressure and the creation of a draconian penalty for a late shot. On the original 5 Yard, a late round was down five points - at Tac Con it was a full 10 point penalty. At least one very good shooter, was late on one shot which meant an 86 instead of a 96.

My best score on the Roundup was a 96. I shot a 94 the first time which I felt was solid work for me. I was also among the group whose 94 meant they went to a second round. IIRC, there were seven of us shooting for the remaining two slots in the final 16. The second time through, I was really feeling the match pressure. I ended up shooting way faster than I should have in order to have the 10's I'd need to be competitive. On every string, I fired my last shot and stared at the still facing bullseye, knowing I should have used that time. I had the time but not the ability to use it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Shot at “high noon”, indoor lit range, Gen4/19, w/Warren/Sevigny night sights, 147 Winchester fmj-“duty practice. GLS holster, unconcealed for draw(1.94-“10”). Good on time on rest of strings, threw a 9 shooting hand only and support hand=98. Shot the support hand in 1.55-obviously should have used the time. I like this drill as a short check, and for aggressive focus.
    Had a 2.49/3.35 clean @0745 this AM on the old “3x5 cold”. Shot a 269/300 on the FBI “Instructor Bullseye”. I’m becoming convinced I
    Should not try to shoot “slow, precision”; just shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    http://blog.krtraining.com/five-yard-roundup-drill/ I thought this write up about the drill from KR was interesting. It was also interesting that even though a lot of us talked big about how easy this drill is in the other thread about it, it was shown among a fantastic group of shooters that it wasn't all that easy to clean with only Mas doing it.
    Ohhhh yeah. I didn't clean it (97 and 98) although I "expected" to . I posted the observation earlier that the 10 ring seems an exceptionally small target standard for a drill/test intended to emphasize practical life saving skill at the up close range of 5 yards. I didn't say wrong or bad, just an observation.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-02-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Squeaked this one in on 4/3-Gen5/17, GLS holster, unconcealed, 147 Rem.jhp “duty” load, lit indoor range.
    97 points: 1.90 on the draw w/a”10”; got loose on the shooting hand only w/an 8&9. This one stays in rotation, with variations on light when at indoor range and sequence. Concentrate and focus effort to keep all “in the black”. Thanks to Mr. Dyal and Mr. White for their efforts!
    As a side note: 3x5 “cold”, Level 3 holster@0745=2.56,3.39 clean(double clutched the draw).

@ JHC: respectfully curious: is your observation due to a feeling at 5 yards we should be cranking on the speed( as in Repass One Shot
    Eval. to a 8x11)?
    If one can deliver a hit or hits as fast to a 3.25” area as opposed to a 5.25” area in the same time, is it “better”?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @MVS - My guess is that Mas was better able to slow down enough to add more precision. I bet there were a bunch of folks with scores in the high 90s who had enough time for another cup of coffee before the second beep.

Brings to mind the old saying: Hang out with old guys. They know shit.
    Rev, if there is anything we old farts are good at, i t's slowing down...
    Last edited by Mas; 04-03-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @ JHC: respectfully curious: is your observation due to a feeling at 5 yards we should be cranking on the speed( as in Repass One Shot
    Eval. to a 8x11)?
    If one can deliver a hit or hits as fast to a 3.25” area as opposed to a 5.25” area in the same time, is it “better”?
    More accuracy better in general. I'm thinking at 5 yards the BG is not going to have to much trouble hitting me in the liver either so I better get on it and it makes me wonder if I'd rather not take the extra tenths to sink a 10 at that distance. I think 8" circle is too big as would be 8x11. The grapefruit size sweet spot that DB often refers to is more than a 10 ring. Just ruminations.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I sincerely appreciate the reply and see you point. The “8 ball”(actually 9 ring),black, would be a big grapefruit! So, I’m going to go to the “10in10” drill, or consider the last 10 shot string shot on the Super Test: 10 rounds@5yards in 5 seconds. That would seem very proficient; and again, this is all circumstantial. You look at Mr. Rehn’s analysis and that seems sound...
    Thanks

User Tag List