Page 70 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: OIS in Kenosha Wisconsin, civil unrest

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    No. “Canceling”, as I understand it, is causing someone to lose their job, livelihood, and reputation for for expressing a thought which is “incorrect” by current standards.
    While I would vehemently object to a teacher presenting American police as a continuation of racist oppression in the United States, it is not an offense that demands immediate termination, either. Some examination? Yes. If found to be presented as a fact, then certainly warranting some sanction (as it is not objectively true). If repeated, certainly then the imaginary teacher should be let go. But it would be inappropriate and hypocritical to jump to conclusions and terminate someone for a perceived social offense, when we find those things to be objectionable when done by the “other side.”
    You want to spend time arguing and dissecting the merits of a teacher that chooses to teach that crap in school be my guest. I would get fired for a lesser offense in my line of work so I hold the same standard to someone that is trying to mold and influence the thoughts of my child. I'll push for termination of someone that wants to bring that shit into the classroom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    The last 40+ comments in this thread are competely off topic. I had to scroll up and make sure I was in the right thread. It would probably be good to move them to a new thread.
    Valid point. I admit that I lost track of which thread this was in when replying.
    I’m happy to get back on topic.

Site Supporter
    Fire the teacher for teaching an unauthorized curriculum. A teacher shouldn't be able to disregard what they were hired for.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Fire the teacher for teaching an unauthorized curriculum. A teacher shouldn't be able to disregard what they were hired for.
    What? and risk excommunication from the First National Church of 'ism's, 'ist's, 'obe's, and 'azis???
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Well, tomorrow is going to be interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/polit...ake/index.html

"Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump is still planning to visit Kenosha, Wisconsin, this week after Democratic Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers wrote him a letter urging that he reconsider as the city continues to grapple with racial unrest following the police shooting of Jacob Blake."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I fully support your decision, but keep this mind: your district did what it did as a CYA in case another PARENT does something nutty to your kid, not to shield the teacher from your prying eyes. Let me give you a (partially) hypothetical example.

Say your kid is in my class. Also in my class is a student who is bipolar/schizophrenic with tendencies toward paranoia. This student decides your kid "has it out for them." Her parent, who is merely "disturbed" not "crazier than a shit house rat," looks in on an online class and decides that your kid indeed has it out for her little darling. She decides to contact your kid via social media and make threats, or she drops by your home or workplace to "have a talk..."

That's what those agreements are for.

If I was speaking to a parent with your concerns, I would give them the old "I'm not saying this..." and advise as long as no other students become aware of the observation, who's to know?

I would only say that on the phone tho, not an email, and not to some parents.
    Just wanted to thank you for your contributions in this thread.
    While we are wrestling with what we believe is the right thing to do, I very much appreciate your bringing us today's reality.
    +Most enlightening reading I've done today. This and the Propaganda thread.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    The last 40+ comments in this thread are competely off topic. I had to scroll up and make sure I was in the right thread. It would probably be good to move them to a new thread.
    Fair enough.

I don’t know if we have any locals from WI here to comment, but this recall effort to remove Gov. Evers seems relevant:

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I imagine Trump will be traveling with a pretty considerable security detail.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well, tomorrow is going to be interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/polit...ake/index.html

"Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump is still planning to visit Kenosha, Wisconsin, this week after Democratic Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers wrote him a letter urging that he reconsider as the city continues to grapple with racial unrest following the police shooting of Jacob Blake."
    I wonder who advised him to go to Kenosha? WI must be a swing state. He probably won't be going to OR anytime soon.

Better idea. Stay in DC and send Kyle some bail money. Have Barr deliver it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-31-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List