Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Control Maintenance, striker vs TDA

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'd much rather see someone take the cost of that cool new pistol and invest it in ammo and a training course with a good instructor.
    I appreciate your whole post and agree with it in large part. However, this part sticks out to me. I understand why this is the advice everyone gives. Heck, it's probably the advice I would/do give. However, I think it's flawed in some way also. Before going down my 4 month Beretta rabbit hole, I spent $300 + travel and ammo with Larry Vickers on "Advanced Pistol Marksmanship" and $425 + ammo (class was local) with Gabe White on "Pistol Shooting Solutions."

I think most would agree that these are "good instructors" and I learned things from these classes, but neither of them taught me what I learned about trigger control from 4 months shooting a Beretta.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, maybe some of this has to do with "levels" too. A beginner shooter might have learned a lot about trigger control in those classes. However, there are degrees and levels to this stuff. The trigger control required to shoot a 3" group vs a 6" group at 25yds are a bit different (just as an example).
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I don’t think you can learn that much in any single class. But you learn what you need to work on, how to train better, and it’s important to have an example of what true excellence looks like up close.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Just as you didn’t divest yourself of all your Glocks, you probably should keep a Beretta even if you do decide to go back to primarily working Glock. The same things you liked about them before will be there when you decide to go visit again, and it will probably save some money to just keep one for that down the road time.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I am content with the Glock right now, and don't intend to move away from it. I really like its robust simplicity, and I am enjoying how well I can run it as long as I grip it well....so I guess I view TDA as a great coach, but not necessarily the best overall trigger system.
    100% this. I did TDA and even SA with safety for enough time to gain competency. Now back to the simplicity of SFA. I pretty much shoot them all the same, but I enjoy the mental simplicity of the SFA, despite the crunchy triggers.

So far, this thread discussion has been pretty much confined to shootability per se. Another factor (if, in fact it actually needs to be considered by the OP {or others}) it parameters of use. If you're determined to get the best shooting results (i.e., accuracy and speed) that's one thing; if there's the possibility of threat management (i.e. holding someone at gunpoint, but having some speedbumps in place to ensure that firing is really what you want and need to do), then there's some consideration that might be directed to DAO, LEM, DA/SA...

My most shootable pistols per se are my Glocks and HK VP40, but the ones I'm most likely to carry as a duty pistol are my HK P30L with V1.5 LEM and Meprolights, and my Beretta 92D, upgraded with Wilson Combat, Langdon, Wolff and Tool Tech/Trijicon components.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-02-2019 at 03:07 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm pretty sure Dagga Boy once mentioned that he keeps a Smith SSR around as a dry fire mule and for when he feels like shooting a spinny ammo feeder in matches. You don't have to feel bad about peening notches on a current production cylinder.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think consistent practice with a variety of guns will keep you a well rounded shooter. I enjoy being able to go from a 1911 to a DA revolver, to a Beretta, to a Glock and not miss a beat. I don't feel hampered and after a long 6 month break from glocks I can pick one up and shoot it well.
    Same here. My competition guns are 1911/2011, CZ, and Glock. Carry are EDC X9, 92 Compact, G43. (see a pattern.) The one thing I know I’m not trained to adapt to is a slide mounted safety, so the 92 is a G model. Minimize, but know your limitations.

Site Supporter
    I have been running 1911s lately and have found that trigger control improves after running some of my light loaded 148 gr wadcutters through the GP100 in double action.

Running a double action trigger or even just running some 25 yard DA groups with a TDA gun is a good way to diagnose trigger control issues.

I'd hold on to the Berettas.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    ...The one thing I know I’m not trained to adapt to is a slide mounted safety...
    Same here. Great point. A year ago, the safety on my Shadow2 gut bumped on in the middle of a stage, and I lost maybe 5 seconds trying to figure out what was wrong.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I appreciate your whole post and agree with it in large part. However, this part sticks out to me. I understand why this is the advice everyone gives. Heck, it's probably the advice I would/do give. However, I think it's flawed in some way also. Before going down my 4 month Beretta rabbit hole, I spent $300 + travel and ammo with Larry Vickers on "Advanced Pistol Marksmanship" and $425 + ammo (class was local) with Gabe White on "Pistol Shooting Solutions."

I think most would agree that these are "good instructors" and I learned things from these classes, but neither of them taught me what I learned about trigger control from 4 months shooting a Beretta.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, maybe some of this has to do with "levels" too. A beginner shooter might have learned a lot about trigger control in those classes. However, there are degrees and levels to this stuff. The trigger control required to shoot a 3" group vs a 6" group at 25yds are a bit different (just as an example).
    Maybe some lessons can’t be taught - they just have to be learned through experience ( and quite possibly lots of failure). When I think of lessons I’ve learned about trigger control lately, that is how I am beginning to see it.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

User Tag List