Page 58 of 175 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I know money for power racks doesn't grow on trees, but now that I have a power rack there's no way that I'd bench outside of a power rack with safety pins in place. There are a lot of things a good spotter can do for you, but the greatest spotter isn't nearly as reliable at stopping a dropped barbell as safeties.

Rippetoe can probably refer you to a local (Wichita Falls) welder that can build you a great rack for a decent price. Even if you have to put it in the work gym, it's money well spent.
    I got an Amazon special cage for like 400 bucks. 5 years ago. Best investment ever.

RE: weight lifting

Congrats on your success with the weight lifting. Yes Creatine works, but get off of it 2 weeks out of every 10 to give your kidneys a break. Drink plenty of water. Taking Creatine and protein supplements makes the kidneys work double-time so you need to cycle it. You won't notice much difference in the two weeks you're off. A lot of the weight gain is water, so you may see some weight loss. Look long term, you can lift pretty much the rest of your life if you don't over do it. As far as the lifting part, vary your workouts.
    I don't know how you have your routine set up but I used to hit each body part twice a week when I was younger, and never did the same routine per body part twice in a row. Vary weight, type of movement, and intensity. Keeps it interesting and you won't plateau or burn out so easily. If you do the same routine time after time you'll start cheating subconsciously and won't even know it.
    Good luck keep after it.

Site Supporter
    Just did 245 x 20 today, and it sucked.... I mean sucked. I think I am still a little off from my 3 days of 20 rep squats last week.

I have a power rack at work, but I don't feel like I can go low enough on my bench using the safety bars.

Thinking about getting some personal training. Not sure if my form technique is perfect. Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press are things I'm looking at being coached on.

The powerlifting coach at my gym is NASM certified per his bio. "a Certified Personal Trainer through NASM... specialties include high intensity training, weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding".

The NASM website doesn't look very... well, it kind of looks like something you do just to get a piece of paper.

Is it going to be likely he's legit? Or is there a high chance I might end up with Rex?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Anyone try the 20 rep squats program?

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/si...e-workout-plan
    If you want a good squat program, and good lifting program in general, check out Wendler 5/3/1. You will gain size, and you will gain strength. If you do it as prescribed you will hit 20 ish reps on the 5+ week (first week).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Thinking about getting some personal training. Not sure if my form technique is perfect. Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press are things I'm looking at being coached on.

The powerlifting coach at my gym is NASM certified per his bio. "a Certified Personal Trainer through NASM... specialties include high intensity training, weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding".

The NASM website doesn't look very... well, it kind of looks like something you do just to get a piece of paper.

Is it going to be likely he's legit? Or is there a high chance I might end up with Rex?
    A good coach can be hard to find, especially when it comes to squatting a dead lifting. Some words of wisdom... there’s definite wrong ways to squat but there’s also multiple correct ones. Coaches have a tendency to put everyone in a box, black and white, 0 and 1, yes and no, when in fact how you squat, dead and press has a lot to do with how your built and your body mechanics.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    If you want a good squat program, and good lifting program in general, check out Wendler 5/3/1. You will gain size, and you will gain strength. If you do it as prescribed you will hit 20 ish reps on the 5+ week (first week).

I will probably do something like this once I finish the 20 rep squat program, but I want to push my self and stay focused. Thank you for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Just did 245 x 20 today, and it sucked.... I mean sucked. I think I am still a little off from my 3 days of 20 rep squats last week.

I have a power rack at work, but I don't feel like I can go low enough on my bench using the safety bars.
    That’s impressive.

On cheaper racks with 3”+ hole spacing, even if you chest is an couple inches above the safeties, they’ll keep you from getting seriously injured by a dropped bar, and on a failed lift there’s plenty of room between your chin and chest for the bar.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

When deadlifting, how do you know if your upper back is rounding vs your lower back?

I'm probably overly cautious but when I think I feel my lower back rounding I quit pulling.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Got 250 x 20 today. It’s probably that I’m a little bitch, but each session of 20 squat reps seems to take more and more out of me. After doing those and the other lifts listed in the t nation article, I did about 5 hours of house cleaning.

My legs are just a constant sore, and when my day was over , I passed smooth out in the recliner.

Wednesday will be 255 x 20.

Reps 1-10 are not too bad.

Reps 10-14 let you know life is about to get tough.

Reps 15-17 are when the last 15 reps really catch up with you.

Reps 18-20 are when it feels like you are doing a full workout in 3 reps.

What are the toughest/hardest workouts you all have done?

@txdpd

Thanks for the video on safety. Hopefully I can start improving my bench and pushing myself in that area. One thing I probably need to work on is tricep Strength.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-20-2019 at 07:04 PM.

User Tag List