Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 grip options?

Same with me. The nice rubber/wood inset factory grips that came on my 4.2 inch SP101 were too small. Every Hogue grip whether nylon, rubber, or wood fill out where the web of your hand fits the grip. After trying the Hogue nylon grips for suitability, I have a nice pair of wooden grips on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Same with me. The nice rubber/wood inset factory grips that came on my 4.2 inch SP101 were too small. Every Hogue grip whether nylon, rubber, or wood fill out where the web of your hand fits the grip. After trying the Hogue nylon grips for suitability, I have a nice pair of wooden grips on the way.
    Which set did you go with Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Which set did you go with Tom?
    Bought these from Amazon; I frankly splurged. There are many cheaper Hogue wood grips available.

Hogue SP101 Pau Ferro Checkered 81301

Bought these from Amazon; I frankly splurged. There are many cheaper Hogue wood grips available.

Hogue SP101 Pau Ferro Checkered 81301

Looked at those online. Got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Looked at those online. Got any pics?
    Sorry, no. I expect mine to get delivered on Monday.

Tom & Caleb -

I'll expects pics and reviews of your new grips.

I received my Hogue Pau Ferro wooden grips for the SP101 today and after installation performed a couple of hundred dry fires. The grips exceed my expectations. The grips offer three improvements over the Hogue nylon grips:

1. The checkering on the grips is much more aggressive than on the nylon version.
    2. The grip slightly larger than the nylon grip, filling the palm of your hand and, for me, placing the first joint of the trigger finger comfortably on the trigger.
    3. The top of the backstrap, where the web of your hand fits, is much broader than the nylon grip and will doubtless aid in a reduction of felt recoil.

The grips were one piece and easy to install, sliding over the mainspring assembly of the Ruger. Fit and finish were excellent with no gaps or asymmetries. The grips are brown brown meaning they are lighter in tone than rosewood.

There are two potential negatives:
    1. The palm bulge of the grip is very slighter wider than the cylinder, which might be an issue for concealed carry.
    2. Pau Ferro may cause an allergic reaction in some people; if you are allergic to rosewood, this might also be an issue.

The grips look beautiful. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Never handle pau ferro. Rosewood does make my hands itch.

Any speedloader influence?

-------------

ETA

My Miculek stocks were pau ferro. Never any reaction.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 10-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.

HKS 36 speedloader rubs on grip going in, but no obstruction. Empty brass ejects with no issue.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Has anyone here actually shot an SP101 with the Eagle grips?

https://www.eaglegrips.com/ruger-sp1...checkered.html

They're the only SP grips I can find that look like they might work for me. The stock rubber/panels fall away at the top of the back strap, totally losing contact pressure, and they have no "T-grip" function in the front. My knuckle lines up perfectly with the trigger guard, and I'm not interested in experiencing that particular source of nerve damage again.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List