Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ccw change to revolver (S&W 327PC)

Site Supporter
    The larger diameter 8 shot cylinder might necessitate buying pants that are the next waist size up which may make them too large in seat and legs. This situation has occurred in my experimenting with iwb holsters and pants.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Just nitpicking here...that's true inside the wire. Outside the wire, the first thing you do is chamber a round. My last deployment was '03-'04 and that was SOP.
    Fwiw I carried with a loaded chamber in DC in 03 and Hawaii in 04, and obviously when in iraq

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post
    I carry revolvers more often than autos for the same reason--they can be appendix carried with a higher level of feeling safe (bc the gun is pointed at your femoral artery when you sit). Another reason is that a round butt revolver is way easier to hide than most autos. Even in relatively tailored clothing, a round butt revolver tucked at 1 o'clock simply does not print. That little bit of grip curve makes all the difference. Square butt revolvers print almost the same as autos. The grip length is not an issue--on both my j- and k-frames, as long as they are round butt, the grip length is not an issue--I use 3 finger grips on everything, usually Ahrends, but also Altamonts. For my hand size and shape the Ahrends direct the gun exactly to my natural point of aim (though they hurt with hot loads). You might have to experiment.

I use a belt clip on all my revolvers--other people might like thin holsters--and keep speed strips in my right pocket. If wearing looser clothes I'll carry speed loaders in my right pocket. This system allows me to grab my revolver and ammo when I grab my truck keys, as I'm walking out of the house, rather than having to belt on a holster. This means I am carrying more often, even if I'm just wearing gym shorts.

You will find that wooden grips are a little less comfy to shoot, but also help to eliminate printing. Rubber grips print like crazy bc they grab clothes and lift them.

When I appendix carry (most of the time), I carry a j-frame or sometimes a k-frame. For appendix carry the hammer needs to be bobbed or it will dig into your belly when you sit. I'm 5'9, 175, athletic build. Not sure I could carry an N-frame appendix. But a bobbed hammer K-frame is definitely do-able.

For anything other than appendix carry, you don't need the bobbed hammer. Otherwise, you do. I bob them myself with a Dremel cut off wheel, then hit them with a Dremel stone wheel to smooth them, then a little cold blue (which actually goes on better if you warm the metal with a cigarette lighter first).

Welcome to your life getting easier!
    I actually don't mind a hammer while carrying aiwb

Uncomfortable bits like hammers and adjustable sights can be managed by choosing a properly built holster with a body guard/sweat shield, as well. I personally like the ability of having a gun that shoots POA with my chosen load.

@overton,

Are you in northern Virginia by any chance?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't want a giant cylinder/full grip/no barrel revolver for carry. Seems great on paper until you think about how the barrel plays key parts in keeping the grip into your body, and how god damn bulky that cylinder is.

Grab 2 442's, pocket and appendix holsters for each side, wad cutters, sight paint, Apex duty kit for both, and call it great.

I have been wanting this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am trying to get a minimalist shoulder rig done now specifically for driving.
    Name:  holster_pistols_2_med.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  14.2 KB
    Maybe my soon to be (top of the wanna list) M-66 with my dad's M-60 (no dash) on the off side...

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I heard you cover that in the podcast, which I enjoyed listening to.

You don't feel that when someone says they don't feel comfortable with a loaded chamber, we shouldnt talk about training and instead talk about everyone's favorite subject, which new gun to buy?
    What I took was a person who is likely well past most of the population just by being on this forum, has made a decision that a striker fired pistol carried with a round in the chamber has a risk to gain factor they are not comfortable with and decided that a revolver is a better fit for their comfort level and is making inquiries on a forum where some people may actually have first hand knowledge of carry and use of that exact gun rather the gun counter and gun magazine guess work.
    This “you need more training” is really very subjective. I see a ton of folks carrying semi auto striker fired autos who do not train to the standard most of us would like to see with SAFELY drawing from a holster without getting their trigger finger in the trigger guard, have never been stress tested in their trigger finger management, and have never been stress tested holstering post shooting or crisis incident.....yet they are doing it right because they are carrying round chambered with a short travel striker fired gun. Meanwhile, person with some feelings that maybe I should be using a system more compatible with their ACTUAL training and crisis management experience is wrong to think that maybe a system with a simpler manual of arms and much more forgiving adminstrative procedures has something wrong with them. I HIGHLY disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Just nitpicking here...that's true inside the wire. Outside the wire, the first thing you do is chamber a round. My last deployment was '03-'04 and that was SOP.
    Why not all the time? Highly trained members of the warrior class of America? Did you trust everybody you served in the highly trained professional military to carry and utilize semi auto pistols condition one at all times? Bet you have NEVER seen a round fired into a unloading barrel ever because....military with far more training than most of the country’s firearms carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Fwiw I carried with a loaded chamber in DC in 03 and Hawaii in 04, and obviously when in iraq
    Did everyone in the military? From the time we began issuing the semi auto pistol back at the beginning of the 20th century a VAST majority of the time a vast majority of our Warrior class soldiers have not carried condition one. As a matter of fact, throughout the history of the modern military since it began issuing semi automatic pistols (so they should have it figured out pretty well), those needing a handgun capable of being fired immediately (military police, base guards, pilots, etc.) were specifically issued revolvers when a quite capable semi automatic was readily available.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 06-16-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Why not all the time? Highly trained members of the warrior class of America? Did you trust everybody you served in the highly trained professional military to carry and utilize semi auto pistols condition one at all times? Bet you have NEVER seen a round fired into a unloading barrel ever because....military with far more training than most of the country’s firearms carriers.
    Clearing barrels were the major source of NDs while I was there. Those NDs rarely happened when clearing weapons coming back inside the wire because everyone knew their weapon was loaded. They usually happened inside the wire when entering buildings where you had to clear the weapon again and everyone knew their weapon was clear...sure, retract slide/charging handle, drop magazine, pull trigger. The expressions on their faces must've been priceless. I never witnessed it myself, but at least two guys in my unit had those NDs, and they had lots of company.

Don't get me started on all those folks who carried M9s in horizontal shoulder holsters on base.

Site Supporter
    Not sure if sarcastic or serious......

But anyways, commanders and most folks in charge don't trust their troops with a toaster oven in the barracks. Simultaneously, they typically mandate an empty chamber, not better training. USAF basic gave me 30 rounds and 3 aluminum tan-follower mags on an M16A2, and FLIPPED OUT when I reloaded quickly, accurately, and was back on target stating that I will miss due to the speed of my reloads. WPAFB gave the dude with the worst gun handling, speed, and accuracy the marksman badge during the secfo augmentee process. I was told to load up with my M16 and kit, no mag in the rifle OR in the M9. I just didn't arm up due to how long it would take to get the firearms loaded, and there was a belt fed .30 cal in an unarmored humble 100 yards back.

So really, it's a cost and time issue - they don't want to put the time in and/or don't have/want to spend the money on proper training. The way you address that is zero rounds in the chamber to reduce the chances, and if there's a discharge, then the troop disobeyed a direct order and you as the commander are scott free.

I witnessed a M4 discharge at the armory.

so it's back to the revolver or condition 1 pistol, yet again.

personally prioritize, think it over well, and you'll know what compromise is better for you.

User Tag List