Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Full Size Revolver"

In this instance Why do you guys specifically recommending the Match Champion over Standard or WC models?
    David S.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    In this instance Why do you guys specifically recommending the Match Champion over Standard or WC models?
    Well, the WC is a 3" gun, and in the way I personally catalog revolvers, full size doesn't start until 4". I don't know there's any real standard, this is just my personal bias.

The MC has several things going for it over the standard GP100. The grip, while fugly to me, is really a good grip. Concealment may suffer, but its certainly easy to shoot. The FO front sight and adjustable or Novak rears is a good set up for general outsoorsy type shooting. IIRC, the MC gets a polish job to the trigger at the factory (someone fact check me on that, pls). The half lug and champhered cylinder may not have much functional difference, but it looks nice.

I like the MC and the WC, just for different reasons. I think of the MC as more of a duty gun, the WC as more of a plain clothes/conceal gun. (Yes, I know, revolvers aren't cool for duty carry these days...but some of us do anyway).

Ruger GP100-in any of its 4" incarnations-full lug blued, half-lug blued, full lug stainless, half lug stainless, fixed sights or adjustable sights, "regular" or Match Champion.

I'd recommend replacing the grips with the original OEM compact grips that were the OEM G100 grips on the fixed-sight GP100; Ruger has recently re-introduced them as an after-market option on their www.shopruger site:

http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-wi...uctinfo/70084/

They're comfortable, superbly concealable, and relatively inexpensive. They're large enough that you get a full-handed grip with them, and even though compact, the revolver is still very controllable with them.

Best, Jon

The last image shows a OEM full-size grip next to the installed compact grip for comparison
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-30-2015 at 03:57 PM.

How about a Ruger New Model Blackhawk? Simple, built like a tank and accurate as all get-out. With the transfer bar safety you can carry six in the cylinder safely and it'll eat any .357 ammo you can stuff in it. Besides, cowboy guns are fun!

I've carried 357s on duty and off since 1971. I've owned close to 100 of them. Today I own 4, a 586 4", a Ruger Match Champion Adjustable sights 4", a GP 100 3" with adjustable sights that is currently with Clements Gunsmithy and a Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp.

My favorite of 44 years of carrying and shooting 357s, the Match Champion w/Adjustables. That may change when the 3" comes back from Clements. Close second is the 586 but I don't like the front sight, my old eyes don't like orange colored ramps!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Ruger GP100-in any of its 4" incarnations-full lug blued, half-lug blued, full lug stainless, half lug stainless, fixed sights or adjustable sights, "regular" or Match Champion.

I'd recommend replacing the grips with the original OEM compact grips that were the OEM G100 grips on the fixed-sight GP100; Ruger has recently re-introduced them as an after-market option on their www.shopruger site:

http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-wi...uctinfo/70084/

They're comfortable, superbly concealable, and relatively inexpensive. They're large enough that you get a full-handed grip with them, and even though compact, the revolver is still very controllable with them.

Best, Jon

The last image shows a OEM full-size grip next to the installed compact grip for comparison
    John, please advise which sights you have installed on your GP100... is that the Millet front sight I see?? Are you using the stock rear sight or have you changed that as well?
    Johnny Walker

Late to the party...

I'd either take Lost River's advice above, or skip all the above mentioned mid bores and go to a 44 or 45.

A 5" barrel is exactly as easy for me to carry/conceal/draw as a 4", and shoots much easier for me (more accurate and more powerful). You mentioned hunting, and if you mean deer when you say midsize critters, then I would much prefer the bigger bores. A 44 magnum or special can be loaded up or down for anything you want to do, even with factory ammo if you don't reload. (S&W 24/624/29/629 - tons of configurations)

A 45 Colt can also be factory loaded up or down, and a few will allow for ACP to be shot as well. (Redhawk, Blackhawk - though it sounds like you really want a DA revolver)

Without spending a lot of money, a 4" 29/629 would be my choice, though if the 45colt/45acp Redhawks start working better, that would be a very strong contender for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    John, please advise which sights you have installed on your GP100... is that the Millet front sight I see?? Are you using the stock rear sight or have you changed that as well?
    It has a Millett set comprising of the Millett Orange Bar front sight and Millett White Outline rear sight-sadly, both are currently made of unobtanium.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-29-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Late to the party...

I'd either take Lost River's advice above, or skip all the above mentioned mid bores and go to a 44 or 45.

A 5" barrel is exactly as easy for me to carry/conceal/draw as a 4", and shoots much easier for me (more accurate and more powerful). You mentioned hunting, and if you mean deer when you say midsize critters, then I would much prefer the bigger bores. A 44 magnum or special can be loaded up or down for anything you want to do, even with factory ammo if you don't reload. (S&W 24/624/29/629 - tons of configurations)

A 45 Colt can also be factory loaded up or down, and a few will allow for ACP to be shot as well. (Redhawk, Blackhawk - though it sounds like you really want a DA revolver)

Without spending a lot of money, a 4" 29/629 would be my choice, though if the 45colt/45acp Redhawks start working better, that would be a very strong contender for me.
    If you listen to this guy ^ then take a hard look at the Ruger Redhawk. In my samplings the standard RH's have better factory triggers than SRH's. The trigger reach on the RH is also shorter than the SRH - even with Lett grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    If you listen to this guy ^ then take a hard look at the Ruger Redhawk. In my samplings the standard RH's have better factory triggers than SRH's. The trigger reach on the RH is also shorter than the SRH - even with Lett grips.
    I'm a Ruger fan and I wouldn't buy another Redhawk for a nickel. Single action is ok but double action has a hump in the middle and is heavy. Unless you plan to reload heavy, the S&W 29 or 629 beats the Redhawk hands down.

User Tag List