Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroin Overdose Epidemic - what is your perspective?

In my state, and many surrounding, it is. Admittedly we are ground zero for the fentanyl scourge, so maybe that is why we might be ahead of other states in that regard...
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Naloxone for nasal administration isn't an OTC drug?
    Things will probably move in that direction sooner than later.

Had an OD yesterday, 32yr old white male, died with the needle still in his arm in his running vehicle about two blocks from where he bought.

Family said he has a serious history of use and abuse. It's the same story for most I've dealt with lately.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Possibly interesting update from Vancouver B.C.: on the local news they're running a story about testing done at a supervised injection site.

173 doses of street drugs were tested for the presence of fentanyl over the past few weeks. Of the 173 doses checked, 148 contained fentanyl.

So yeah, it's pretty overdosey around here these days.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I haven't finished reading the whole thread, but in response to the size of Opiod scripts that are prescribed I know that in the two years I've worked as a pharmacy tech (started when I was in college, continued while I'm applying to PDs) its a rare day when we don't have bottles of Norco out in the first hour of opening. Its actually more rare to get scripts for low quantities of norco than high ones. I'd say the average norco scripts are written for 90/120/180 and I've seen as high as 300 tablets for every 30 days.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    I haven't finished reading the whole thread, but in response to the size of Opiod scripts that are prescribed I know that in the two years I've worked as a pharmacy tech (started when I was in college, continued while I'm applying to PDs) its a rare day when we don't have bottles of Norco out in the first hour of opening. Its actually more rare to get scripts for low quantities of norco than high ones. I'd say the average norco scripts are written for 90/120/180 and I've seen as high as 300 tablets for every 30 days.
    This are hydrocodone/APAP tabs or pure hydrocodone? Assuming 300/30 days is for 10qd and each is 500mg of APAP they are doing to scorch their liver sooner or later...

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    My fiance just got home from having her hip replaced. The first day she was back, she took a 5mg oxy every 90 minutes, or 16 per day on a 24-hour schedule. She's cut way back in the last couple of days, but I could see how someone with more severe/chronic pain might easily need that many or more. And given that I'm the only full-time caregiver at the moment, it would be very challenging for me to have to run to the pharmacy every few days to refill scrips. If that absolutely had to happen, I could do it because the pharmacy is half a mile from us, but someone out in the sticks without reliable transportation might have trouble.

Of course, we don't have some little knucklehead stealing her drugs and selling them on the street, so that's a blessing...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

With the current trend of legalize drugs, F the oppressive police, and a general negative attitude towards any level basic social decency and a required acceptance of everyone's special take on what society has to endure as a whole for "acceptance and tolerance", I simply cannot find it in my heart to give one iota of a care about folks dying of heroin overdoses that are self induced. For decades as a cop I rarely put much effort into heroin users as they were a self correcting problem. Short of jailing them for the crimes they committed to fuel their "victimless" habit, I was not one to be spending a minute of time arresting them for under the influence type charges.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    http://www.familysecuritymatters.org...n?f=must_reads

The trail of poison that led to the death of rock star Prince and thousands of other Americans begins in China, which President Obama will visit on Sept. 2. According the State Department's 2016 Narcotics Strategy Report, "China has become a hub for illicit drug consumption, drug and precursor chemical trafficking, and money laundering activities."

One way or the other, either as direct sellers of the finished product or as suppliers of precursor chemicals used to produce the finished product, Chinese narcotics traffickers have a hand thrust deeply into the very lucrative drug trade to the United States. The best estimate, from a RAND Corp. study of a few years ago, suggested that the retail illicit drug market in the United States is worth about $100 billion annually. If the Chinese take is only 5 percent, then it would be worth $5 billion a year.

With the traditional illicit narcotics such as heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine, China's primary role is that of a chemical precursor provider to the Mexican drug cartels. As the State Department report states, "China remains one of the world's top producers and exporters of precursor chemicals." There is at least one report of Chinese produced acetic anhydride, the precursor for heroin, showing up in an industrial-scale drug laboratory that Mexican authorities busted in 2011. But it is in Mexican methamphetamine production where the role of Chinese precursors is clearest: "China remains the primary source of the precursor chemicals used to manufacture methamphetamine consumed in the United States and is one of the world's top producers and exporters of precursor chemicals," according to the State Department. In some cases, the Chinese precursors are shipped directly to Mexico where meth is manufactured, but there are even reports of the precursors coming in through American West Coast ports and then trucked to Mexico. The Knights Templar is a Mexican drug cartel and, according to The Wall Street Journal, members "were able to control [Mexican] iron ore mines, sending metal to China and importing precursor chemicals, which they then used to make methamphetamines."
    Last edited by HCM; 08-31-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This are hydrocodone/APAP tabs or pure hydrocodone? Assuming 300/30 days is for 10qd and each is 500mg of APAP they are doing to scorch their liver sooner or later...
    Hydrocodone/APAP. They are usually 1-2 ts q 4-6 h with a max of 10qd.
    Obviously there are some people in states of disease that need the large amounts of pain pills. Others are very much just addicted to the pills when you can see their profile and the only thing they get are the 300 norco exactly every 27 days.

User Tag List