Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Anyone remember Matt Helm?
    You bet. I was an avid follower.
    He had the age problem. Already older than the usual field spook when he got dragged back into intrigue in 1960, it just got worse. Many of his adventures arose out of him violating his own policy of shooting or knifing an opponent at the first opportunity.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    What's the knife that Reacher is carrying? It looked like a Kershaw assisted opener type. Why would a nebbish have one in the tool box? I have one in the box o' knives. In fact, was cleaning it out the other day as it got slow from misuse and crap in it. Don't carry it. I had it in a travel bag once and it opened on its own. Should it have been in a sheath, sure. Nope for carry.

Had to have a Desert Eagle for him - he's a big guy and that was the available gun. Not for 5'6 ish me. I did shoot a 44 magnum version once. Not impressed.

I am four episodes in so far.

It's entertaining. Good way to spend these dull winter afternoons and evenings.

I have read the books but it's been years ago and they really weren't that gripping. Therefore I have forgotten the plot of The Killing Floor, and it's like a new story to me watching it now.

The fights are rather one-sided. They seem to find any occasion they can to get the main character to take his shirt off. I'm willing to bet somewhere in the future there's going to be a plot twist with an unexpected bad guy reveal.

I actually enjoyed the cruise movies also. Always like the intellectual putting the pieces together to solve the mystery thing.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Wow John D. MacDonald is a blast from the past. I was a huge Travis McGee fan and always wanted to name a boat I owned The Busted Flush.
    I think that the first grown-up book that I read was "A Deadly Shade of Gold".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Dealing with character age is the price an author pays for a long running series of books.
    Sue Grafton did a good job of it, running her novels from about 1982 (when the protagonist was 32) to planning to end "Z" in 1990 (when the protagonist would have been 40). In her later books, she made some anachronistic errors as the 1980s became further back in time from when she was doing the writing.

I wasn't a big fan of her later books, but I'd have liked to seen how she wrapped things up. Damn you, cancer!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Am I the only one who thought that the new Reacher was incredibly poorly written and acted? Retro in a not good way? Like live action Scooby Doo or Starsky & Hutch?

Decent fighting though.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Am I the only one who thought that the new Reacher was incredibly poorly written and acted? Retro in a not good way? Like live action Scooby Doo or Starsky & Hutch?

Decent fighting though.
    It helps if you watch it as a super hero type series.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Decent fighting though.
    It was definitely poorly written after the first episode and quite campy. The best acting came from the lady playing the Roscoe character. Of course, she was also required to be nude in a scene that could have worked just as well without nudity. While I enjoy the female form as much as the next guy, some scenes need it to work and some do not. This one did not and felt quite exploitative. It felt like the writers were just checking the "hot chick nude" box.

The rest of the acting was overwrought at best and caricatures at worst. It was impossible to suspend disbelief.

Site Supporter
    Maybe Peacemaker is more your style for realism? LOL.

One thing, when Reacher was shown the Desert Eagle, it had two mags. He took it only with one mag inserted and then ran out of rounds. Now would any of us superheroes do that?

Could they not have come up with another name besides Roscoe though? Especially for a cop?

All I can think about is:

Name:  103048-full.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  44.6 KB

User Tag List