Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Px4 - What's in the box now, and Improved Factory Trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    This is part of why I can get away with a 5 lb, 14 oz DA pull with no light strikes. In effect, the hammer goes back a little closer to where the SA would be, so it hits harder. This is why other brands have light strikes with trigger pulls that are even heavier. I also run the D spring in my defensive Storms. I have 89,900 rounds on one with no light strikes.
    Hello Mr. Tracker. I'd like to thank you for your contributions to the forum! I have enjoyed reading many of your posts about the PX4 series.

What spring changes do you think could be easily done by most end users 'out of the box' without sacrificing defensive reliability? In the spirit of the thread title, I'm thinking in terms of what Beretta could be doing to deliver an improved factory trigger, with readily available parts, if they were ever so inclined to release such a SKU#. Also, could you describe how these modifications would be likely affect the pull characteristics in your experience?

On a side note, I have always struggled with DA/SA guns due to small hand size, even though I prefer the trigger system from a mechanical/administrative standpoint. The trigger is a long reach when decocked. The CZ P07 I used to own was a bit hard for me to deliver the first shot out of the holster when only using one hand. I have long wanted a G model PX4 in 9mm, but I am afraid I would have the same problem, unfortunately. Some day I will own one, but it always falls too low on my list of priorities to make the purchase. However, every time I read one of your posts I check the price!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Hello Mr. Tracker. I'd like to thank you for your contributions to the forum! I have enjoyed reading many of your posts about the PX4 series.

What spring changes do you think could be easily done by most end users 'out of the box' without sacrificing defensive reliability? In the spirit of the thread title, I'm thinking in terms of what Beretta could be doing to deliver an improved factory trigger, with readily available parts, if they were ever so inclined to release such a SKU#. Also, could you describe how these modifications would be likely affect the pull characteristics in your experience?

On a side note, I have always struggled with DA/SA guns due to small hand size, even though I prefer the trigger system from a mechanical/administrative standpoint. The trigger is a long reach when decocked. The CZ P07 I used to own was a bit hard for me to deliver the first shot out of the holster when only using one hand. I have long wanted a G model PX4 in 9mm, but I am afraid I would have the same problem, unfortunately. Some day I will own one, but it always falls too low on my list of priorities to make the purchase. However, every time I read one of your posts I check the price!

Thanks again!
    The hammer spring is an fairly easy replacement, mine has a Wilson Combat Hammer Spring, Chrome Silicon 12#, Beretta 92/96 (721CS-12), as well as an "upgraded" hammer, the Wilson Combat Deluxe Hammer, Beretta 90 Series (785).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

PX4 easy mods

Thanks again!
    Thanks for the kind words!

Although Beretta has to make the PX4 Storm for international use, where the possibility of very difficult primers or even rifle primers might be experienced in ammunition in other countries, they could also be more suited to the use in the United States and places where ammunition is well monitored.

While keeping the normal base type F model they currently make, they would do well to add another model that would address exactly what you're looking at without raising the prices to the point of the Compact Carry or Carry models.

If Beretta made a couple of modifications that would not cost them anything different, they could even call it a Pro model, as other manufacturers have used that term. This would indicate that it is for experienced shooters or a beginner, but it's best served for someone who knows what he's doing.

All they would need to do would be to install a Cougar D spring for the PX4 Storm, a low profile slide catch and Carry levers on the stock type G PX4. It would not raise the price and they should sell like hotcakes.

This would also be my recommendation for the end user to modify, if he is looking for a better trigger pull, easier decocking and smoother holstering. A chrome silicone 12# spring for a model 92 will serve just as well as a D spring.

These three things are very easy for the end user to do on his own.

This would reduce his double action trigger pull to about 7# or 8# (from the stock 10# or 11#) the single action to about 4# ( from the stock 5#)

I would suggest trying the small-sized backstrap to help with trigger reach. One of the things that I have found with the PX4 Storm is that backstrap allows it to be very small in the grip, front to back.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-05-2022 at 07:57 PM.

I have found that in some countries (perhaps due to distributor's handling for separate sales) that backstraps have been shorted
    That was certainly the case for me back in 2016 when I bought mine. But I do recall also reading about a U S. variant without backstraps in the box? A LEO version, perhaps?

On a side note, I have always struggled with DA/SA guns due to small hand size, even though I prefer the trigger system from a mechanical/administrative standpoint. The trigger is a long reach when decocked.
    How small are your hands? I use a Mechanix Fastfit II glove in size 8 / small, and I've done the majority of my handgun live fire shooting since late 2016 with a full size PX4. Things that have helped me a bit are the small backstrap, competition hammer spring, Talon Grips grip tape, and while others go for more flush fitting decocker levers I've gone the opposite direction - I've found the 92 style levers easier to manipulate one handed.

And above all else, practice - especially if you're used to shooting only single action or striker fired handguns, getting used to the longer and heavier double action trigger pull can take some work. Personally, what helped me learn the double action trigger pull the most was buying my first revolver - I had owned a TDA style pistol for a long time at that point, but it wasn't until I got a revolver and did dry fire every day for a few months until I truly "got it". Even to this day, while I don't get to shoot revolvers in live fire all that much (revolver ammunition is much scarcer and more expensive than 9mm), when it's time to do some trigger work at home I often grab a revolver. But that's me and my weirdness - there certainly isn't any reason you couldn't do the same with just working the double action pull on your pistol. The main thing is that you put in the work, which ever way you can maintain motivation in it is the way to go. I also had a medium backstrap and the stock hammer spring in my gun for quite a while, and the gun was quite shootable with those. The lighter spring and smaller backstrap are just tweaks that make the gun a bit nicer.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    That was certainly the case for me back in 2016 when I bought mine. But I do recall also reading about a U S. variant without backstraps in the box? A LEO version, perhaps?

How small are your hands? I use a Mechanix Fastfit II glove in size 8 / small, and I've done the majority of my handgun live fire shooting since late 2016 with a full size PX4. Things that have helped me a bit are the small backstrap, competition hammer spring, Talon Grips grip tape, and while others go for more flush fitting decocker levers I've gone the opposite direction - I've found the 92 style levers easier to manipulate one handed.

And above all else, practice - especially if you're used to shooting only single action or striker fired handguns, getting used to the longer and heavier double action trigger pull can take some work. Personally, what helped me learn the double action trigger pull the most was buying my first revolver - I had owned a TDA style pistol for a long time at that point, but it wasn't until I got a revolver and did dry fire every day for a few months until I truly "got it". Even to this day, while I don't get to shoot revolvers in live fire all that much (revolver ammunition is much scarcer and more expensive than 9mm), when it's time to do some trigger work at home I often grab a revolver. But that's me and my weirdness - there certainly isn't any reason you couldn't do the same with just working the double action pull on your pistol. The main thing is that you put in the work, which ever way you can maintain motivation in it is the way to go. I also had a medium backstrap and the stock hammer spring in my gun for quite a while, and the gun was quite shootable with those. The lighter spring and smaller backstrap are just tweaks that make the gun a bit nicer.

I'm not sure how best to measure hand size. Some work gloves fit me better in size M and some in size L. I do know that it's hard for me to get as much trigger finger as I'd like on a P07 or Glock without having to put the gun in a geometry that isn't optimal for recoil control-especially with one hand. I can shoot them okay, but it's quite clear that I have better speed and accuracy with my first shot out of the holster with an M&P or even a M&P Shield when using one hand, which is something I prioritize in a carry pistol. Regardless of how much I had trained or practiced with with a CZ P07, or a Glock 19, I could pick up a M&P 2.0 compact or a Shield and immediately it's as if I hit the 'easy button' for accurate one hand draws to 3x5 cards at 7 yards, at least compared to the aforementioned pistols. My assumption is that it relates to trigger reach issues.

Currently my priorities are lighter weight and red dot capability, so the PX4 got pushed down the priority list. However, I will own one some day when I find a deal I can't pass up and ammo prices aren't eating up such a portion of my gun related budget. It is just such a cool pistol. I don't suppose they will ever make an optics ready version. That is unfortunate.

Site Supporter
    I'm not sure how best to measure hand size. Some work gloves fit me better in size M and some in size L. I do know that it's hard for me to get as much trigger finger as I'd like on a P07 or Glock without having to put the gun in a geometry that isn't optimal for recoil control-especially with one hand. I can shoot them okay, but it's quite clear that I have better speed and accuracy with my first shot out of the holster with an M&P or even a M&P Shield when using one hand, which is something I prioritize in a carry pistol. Regardless of how much I had trained or practiced with with a CZ P07, or a Glock 19, I could pick up a M&P 2.0 compact or a Shield and immediately it's as if I hit the 'easy button' for accurate one hand draws to 3x5 cards at 7 yards, at least compared to the aforementioned pistols. My assumption is that it relates to trigger reach issues.

Currently my priorities are lighter weight and red dot capability, so the PX4 got pushed down the priority list. However, I will own one some day when I find a deal I can't pass up and ammo prices aren't eating up such a portion of my gun related budget. It is just such a cool pistol. I don't suppose they will ever make an optics ready version. That is unfortunate.
    Langdon makes optics ready PX4s and does optics cuts on existing guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Langdon makes optics ready PX4s and does optics cuts on existing guns.
    So he doesn't have to search

https://langdontactical.com/products/guns/px4-series/

What does the competition trigger group actually provide over the stock trigger group? How does it alter the operation?

Competition trigger group

Quote Originally Posted by star-dot-star View Post
    What does the competition trigger group actually provide over the stock trigger group? How does it alter the operation?
    The competition trigger group has different types of coating on the fire control unit frame, the hammer and a few other moving parts. This adds a lubricity that makes it a little slicker so that even when it is not lubricated it is more slick.

The competition trigger group comes with a stock weight hammer spring that is no lighter than stock, but it is coated for lubricity.

This results in no change in the double action. But it will reduce the weight of the single action pull, usually by almost a pound.

The competition trigger group has different types of coating on the fire control unit frame, the hammer and a few other moving parts. This adds a lubricity that makes it a little slicker so that even when it is not lubricated it is more slick.

The competition trigger group comes with a stock weight hammer spring that is no lighter than stock, but it is coated for lubricity.

This results in no change in the double action. But it will reduce the weight of the single action pull, usually by almost a pound.
    Thank you again Tracker!

User Tag List