Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we making a rational argument?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am going to spend a little more time this year trying to figure out why Mccarthy and Feinstein are still in office, and see what it takes to get them removed.
    Their constituents. Good luck.

Jason Mattera and Bloomberg:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...ntrol-Question

Good on Mattera...
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am going to spend a little more time this year trying to figure out why Mccarthy and Feinstein are still in office, and see what it takes to get them removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Their constituents. Good luck.
    +1. IME, they are representative of their constituents. Which is how this is supposed to work. Instead of attacking the politicians, attack the mistaken beliefs of the voters that put them in office...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    +1. IME, they are representative of their constituents. Which is how this is supposed to work. Instead of attacking the politicians, attack the mistaken beliefs of the voters that put them in office...
    Don't they know they're supposed to represent broad-based public opinion instead of their constituents?

Quote Originally Posted by From article on foxnews.com:
    President Obama is suggesting that House Republicans on the issue of gun control appear neither willing to work with him nor inclined to listen to the American public on the issue.
    “The House Republican majority is made up mostly of members who are in sharply gerrymandered districts that are very safely Republican and may not feel compelled to pay attention to broad-based public opinion, because what they're really concerned about is the opinions of their specific Republican constituencies,” the president said in an interview with The New Republic.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2JJa1GR6e
    Seriously. You're damn straight they are (or at least should be) unwilling to compromise, and it's because they're listening to their constituents!

Statements like these really reveal a lot about how he thinks. And it's scary.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Seriously. You're damn straight they are (or at least should be) unwilling to compromise, and it's because they're listening to their constituents!

Obama's definition of "compromise" means "you do things my way."

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Isn't that really an apt description for our entire political system at this point?

It's like a bunch of chimps at a nuclear power station. There's all sorts of levers and shiny buttons. None of them are capable of understanding what they do, but they'll press on those shiny red buttons like a banana is going to fall out of a chute any second now...
    Absolutely.

You've always been quite the wordsmith

One cannot presume that logic will be effective on those who do not, themselves, use logic in their daily lives.

(Bonus points if you read that in Spock's voice... that's what I heard as I wrote this).
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Don't they know they're supposed to represent broad-based public opinion instead of their constituents?

+1000. That quote makes the disconnect glaringly obvious.

Site Supporter
    A friend sent me the below link earlier today..
    Protecting the Second Amendment – Why all Americans Should Be Concerned

There's a text version of the comments spread over 3 posts, and a linked PDF that I assume is the full version.
    I'm not a member, so I can't open the PDF..

We are current or former Army Reserve, National Guard, and active duty US Army Special Forces soldiers (Green Berets). We have all taken an oath to “...support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.…” The Constitution of the United States is without a doubt the single greatest document in the history of mankind, codifying the fundamental principle of governmental power and authority being derived from and granted through the consent of the governed. Our Constitution established a system of governance that preserves, protects, and holds sacrosanct the individual rights and primacy of the governed as well as providing for the explicit protection of the governed from governmental tyranny and/or oppression. We have witnessed the insidious and iniquitous effects of tyranny and oppression on people all over the world. We and our forebears have embodied and personified our organizational motto, De Oppresso Liber [To Free the Oppressed], for more than a half century as we have fought, shed blood, and died in the pursuit of freedom for the oppressed.

Like you, we are also loving and caring fathers and grandfathers. Like you, we have been stunned, horrified, and angered by the tragedies of Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Fort Hood, and Sandy Hook; and like you, we are searching for solutions to the problem of gun-related crimes in our society. Many of us are educators in our second careers and have a special interest to find a solution to this problem. However, unlike much of the current vox populi reactions to this tragedy, we offer a different perspective.

<snip>
    8. This is our country, these are our rights. We believe that it is time that we take personal responsibility for our choices and actions rather than abdicate that responsibility to someone else under the illusion that we have done something that will make us all safer. We have a responsibility to stand by our principles and act in accordance with them. Our children are watching and they will follow the example we set.
    The rest is here: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...198#post486198
    ETA: Better link for the full text: http://sofrep.com/16644/1000-green-b...2nd-amendment/

ETA-2: Follow up story: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...p=700001075741
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List