Page 1 of 160 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Scout rifle, circa 2016

Starting in the late 80's, I became enamored with the Scout rifle concept, as put forth by Jeff Cooper. In 1991, my wife and I attended API 270 at Gunsite, taught by Jeff Cooper, where we spent a glorious week being exposed to Jeff, the Gunsite staff and facility, all the while being enlightened as to what you can do with a light bolt action rifle that can both deliver a reasonably powerful rifle cartridge quickly up close, and reach way out there and touch something. Over the years, I have had built countless practical rifles, incorporating some to all the features Jeff Cooper thought should be on a Scout rifle. My favorite rifles have been model 70 based, and built by Jim Brockman.

Fast forward to today, where we have different rifles available, different optics available, different laws, and potentially different applications for the light rifle. Consider offerings from Tikka, CZ, Ruger, Kimber and others in the light rifle area that shoot accurately, carry light and cost a fraction of a full up custom rifle. Consider how the scout scope has largely been obsoleted by the low power variable and red dot. Consider laws that limit the action type of rifles and magazine capacity. Consider threats like we have seen in Baton Rouge, Dallas, Orlando, and San Bernardino.

To experiment, I have been thinking about putting together one or more currently available light rifles that will allow me to maintain bolt gun proficiency, shoot steel, paper, small game and even larger animals, and if necessary could be employed defensively. Some possibilities that come to mind are:

CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with a 30mm Aimpoint over the action. Inexpensive ammo, accurate gun, lightweight, tiny magazines, and an action that is slick as snot.

Ruger American, threaded, 16 inch bolt action in .300 BLK. $400, supposedly moa accurate, neat five round magazines. Either a red dot or fixed 2.5 power Leupold as glass.

Tikka CTR in 6.5 or .308, cut down to 16.25 inches to save weight, ten round magazines, great reputation for accuracy, and a yet to be determined optic.

What do you think?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    How about the new HOWA mini action 6.5 Grendel and a 1x4 optic? Nice mix of ammo now from Hornady AMAX and SST through PPU/Wolf brass case to Wolf steel case. Comes with mags so no need for conversion.

I like the list. I really love my CZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I considered the Ruger American bolt gun in 300 BLK before I bought my AR. I did read some reports that the magazines are somewhat cheap and less than reliable -- but they may have corrected the problems since then.

I think there are still some of the Remington Model 7 based rifles that AAC built available. They have a 16" threaded barrel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I considered the Ruger American bolt gun in 300 BLK before I bought my AR. I did read some reports that the magazines are somewhat cheap and less than reliable -- but they may have corrected the problems since then.

I think there are still some of the Remington Model 7 based rifles that AAC built available. They have a 16" threaded barrel.
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/aac-model...picatinny.html CDNN has the AAC Model 7 $699

CTR FTW!
    i used to wannabe

Have you seen this video?:
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ith-sauer-202/

Aimpoint, extended mag, 7mm Mag. Cooper would be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post

I bought my son a standard Ruger American in .308 as a hunting rifle. The only issue we've had with the mags thus far is the location of the magazine release. He was about to take a 200 yard shot at a deer from a box stand and as he leaned into the gun it slid forward on the rail of the stand and released the mag, which them fell onto the bottom of the wooden floor of the stand. It rattled him and he didn't take the shot.

Other than that, we've had no issues with feeding from the factory magazines.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

.308 or bust. Out of the three the CTR stands out but I prefer controlled feed in my bolt guns. I also like lighter contour barrels and the medium heavy on the CTR seems like dead weight.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 07-28-2016 at 10:55 PM.

I think we are very likeminded on scout rifles and I think you will be VERY interested in what I brought home tonight. Will posts pics tomorrow when I get my optics mounted.

User Tag List