Page 98 of 308 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 picture thread

Took it to the range this afternoon. I shot 150 rounds of 124 grain FMJ, and 50 rounds of 124 grain HST. Accuracy, function, etc. were all what you'd expect from Wilson. Easy and fun to shoot.

I did have a failure to feed in the second magazine of HST. I'm nearly positive it was from my thumbs rubbing against the slide too much during recoil, but it was frustrating regardless. It didn't happen anymore after that one time.

I normally like Straight 8-style sights, but this one has a plain black rear and a tritium front. That combination seems very fast, and I'll probably stick with it.

I've spent the last year dedicated to the Glock 19 for both on and off duty, for a variety of reasons. However, I've been thinking about switching back to the 1911, mainly because I'm required by policy to carry a railed 1911 for SWAT, and I don't particularly like switching back between the two. So, after I get enough rounds through this one, I'll probably end up carrying it for my normal, plainclothes on-duty work and off-duty.
    Last edited by TC215; 07-30-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Paladin that is going to be so damn sick.
    TC I love that Wilson.

So jealous of the 9mm commanders.

Site Supporter

My First 1911

Just picked this up last week, '77 built (best I can tell from serials, haven't sent to Colt) Series 70 9mm Government Model. Planning on sending it off to have it vintage custom'd and get her in good running order.

Name:  Colt Gov1.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  47.6 KB

Only two small issues with the gun that bug me a little but I'm hoping they can be cleaned up by a smith. One is a reassembly scratch that was pre-existing and the other is below. The slide stop notch is a little rough on both sides, more so toward the rear of the slide. There's some gouging/deformation there that I'm hoping isn't too significant to repair or re-cut and blend back to match the rest of the slide. Looks like it's from it being put into slide lock with a weak mag spring and poor engagement to the slide. Frustrating because this thing is in pretty damn good shape otherwise.

Name:  Slide Notch2.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  23.8 KB
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Two Baers

ETA: ^^^^^ Those look fantastic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    Just picked this up last week, '77 built (best I can tell from serials, haven't sent to Colt) Series 70 9mm Government Model. Planning on sending it off to have it vintage custom'd and get her in good running order.

Only two small issues with the gun that bug me a little but I'm hoping they can be cleaned up by a smith. One is a reassembly scratch that was pre-existing and the other is below. The slide stop notch is a little rough on both sides, more so toward the rear of the slide. There's some gouging/deformation there that I'm hoping isn't too significant to repair or re-cut and blend back to match the rest of the slide. Looks like it's from it being put into slide lock with a weak mag spring and poor engagement to the slide. Frustrating because this thing is in pretty damn good shape otherwise.
    Great pick up. Proofhouse.com is a very reliable source for Colt serial number data.

As far as fixing your two issues, anything can be fixed, it's merely a matter of money.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Name:  DSC_0008 2.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  80.0 KB

1974 Govt Model w/ Buffalo bone grips
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

You guys are killing me.
    Best I did was put a set of desert Ergo's on the range officer
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    .... The slide stop notch is a little rough on both sides, more so toward the rear of the slide. There's some gouging/deformation there that I'm hoping isn't too significant to repair or re-cut and blend back to match the rest of the slide.
    Looks totally fixable from here... people might be surprised at how many Colts of that era need the slide stop notch re-cut.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

One of my Novak blasters. Built by the late Joe Bonar on a Wilson Combat frame and slide. One of the last pistols built by Joe before his untimely death. I swapped out the Novak sights for a set of Trijicon HDs.

Name:  DSCN0034 (Medium).jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  81.0 KB

I just got this Combat Operator back from Dave Sams today. Work performed:

Install/fit KKM 1:32 ramped barrel
    Install/fit NM barrel bushing
    Install short Greider trigger
    Ed Brown magwell, blend with frame
    Slide/frame fit/lap
    Engrave SCG logo under pistol grip on frame
    Tightened loose plunger tube
    Grip screw bushings not flush inside magwell - flush cut

Check out the 50 yard test target, 10 shots from a machine rest.

Attachment 18924
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List