Page 112 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1744

Thread: Weight Lifting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Concur with @scw2...even the two lil' wafer thin 2.5's you'll add every bench workout add up quicker than you think. I used to suck at bench and just thinking about the first time I hit 225x5x5 still makes me grin. I didn't have a spotter either, but since I'd put in the time to get to 225, I didn't question whether or not I'd be able to handle it. (I do use safety bars now that I have room to workout at home again.)

Those little 2.5 weights come in handy, especially when you start reaching your max potential.

That’s impressive on bench. Really impressive.

A Simple & Quick Workout for the Elderly

For various reasons I've replaced a "5 times in two weeks" intensity workout with a kinder, gentler, full-body exercise session done every weekday. The workout's emphasis lies at the intersection of strength and endurance.

Swings: 25 reps 04 sets. Recover your breath between sets.
    Get Up: 01 rep 05 sets (alternating sides), done Tai-Chi slow. Total: 10
    Carry : Treadmill 01 mile while carrying a kettlebell "suitcase" style. Alternate hands OTM.

If you play with this, don't let your weights be too heavy. Just let the volume work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Those little 2.5 weights come in handy, especially when you start reaching your max potential.

That’s impressive on bench. Really impressive.
    I also have a pair of 1.25 lb plates that I used for pressing overhead, sometimes I’d struggle with a 5lb increase

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I also have a pair of 1.25 lb plates that I used for pressing overhead, sometimes I’d struggle with a 5lb increase
    I need some of those for OHP.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Not too bad. I’m squatting 255 and deadlifting 370 on my work sets. I checked my notebook a few days ago and saw that this time last year I was squatting 180 and deadlifting 290. I had an injury last fall so had to work back up. Weeks ago I started finishing up with a conditioning move. Monday it’s tire flipping, Wednesday sled pushing, and Friday farmer carry. Not too bad for being 56 and 190 lbs I think. I usually do an hour on the rower Tuesday, ruck an hour Thursday, plain walking on Sunday, and yoga on Saturday.
    I hit a bit of a milestone for myself Monday. I did three sets of five squats at 275. A few years back I had worked up to a single rep at 275 but got injured not long after that.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Finally did my first Starting Strength "A" workout:

3x5 (low back) squats 135 lb
    3x5 bench 135 lb
    1x5 deadlift 185 lb
    First "B" workout:

3x5 (high back) squats 155 lb
    3x5 overhead press 85 lb
    5x3 power clean 95 lb

Got to start somewhere I guess... I'll probably spend this evening watching Alan Thrall videos to try and dial in my technique a bit more (and maybe revisit the book in a month).

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Hey, I meant to thank you for this and forgot - kind of a crazy week last week. Anyway things are settling down and I am reading it over now and agree, that looks interesting for sure; might start experimenting with that.
    Your welcome,I hope it helps.Please let us know if you try the program and your progress.

...I'll probably spend this evening watching Alan Thrall videos to try and dial in my technique...
    I was gonna suggest Thrall! I think I’ve learned more about technique from his vids than any other.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 09-01-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I was gonna suggest Thrall! I think I’ve learned more about technique from his view than any other.
    Yeah once I feel comfortable with the movements I'll probably drive a couple hours and get a form check from him. $125 should be cheap insurance against injury before trying to push big weight.

Site Supporter
    Yeah once I feel comfortable with the movements I'll probably drive a couple hours and get a form check from him. $125 should be cheap insurance against injury before trying to push big weight.
    $125 is very cheap indeed.

User Tag List