Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

I recently put together a MKE MP5 clone...though I don't think it would be competitive against the various 9mm ARs, I have a strange desire to shoot it in a PCC match because...reasons.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Curious whether this thread can get anyone thinking about my zero-responses-so-far 9mm carbine ammo post.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....s-9mm-carbines

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Curious whether this thread can get anyone thinking about my zero-responses-so-far 9mm carbine ammo post.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....s-9mm-carbines
    Here is some chrono data from a few days ago, from my 14.7 inch barrel MPX.

MPX 147 Lawman 1,085
    MPX 115 PMC 1,238

First question, is whether those velocities are outside the design parameters for 9mm, assuming comparable velocity for JHP?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I got a question on mag carriers.

For my Glock magazine PCC, I use this rig:

A few Ghost mag pouches up front for quick reloads, and Taco regular and long pistol mags behind to hold the 30 and 40 round Glock mags. This is my general Timmie rig, that I modify to accommodate whatever is interesting me at the moment. Incidentally, for Glock mags, most people are using Glock OEM 33 round mags with Taylor Freelance, Dawson or Taran extensions, to get around 40 rounds in the carbine to start.

For the MPX, I have a dedicated belt, and three Blade Tech MPX specific mag holders, which are available from Sig Sauer. On the MPX mags, I am using Springer Precision and Taran ten round extensions on the OEM 30 round magazines.

One of the best sources of PCC technical info is the PCC sub forum on Enos.

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.ph...ine-technical/
    Last edited by GJM; 01-04-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Spell better

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Tagged.

I've long thought that the pistol-caliber carbine doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's a fairly natural/obvious step between handguns and long guns, and you can shoot it in a lot of places where rifle cartridges are prohibited.

Interested to see how this develops.

Okie John
    So now people are liking PCCs? In other threads here (I think I started one of them) I've seen almost nothing but negative comments about them. I had been thinking about a suppressed 9mm carbine for home defense use, thinking it could be a little more effective than a pistol depending on circumstances. Especially as there are proven 147gr subsonic ammo offerings readily available.

Or is this thread just about sporting/recreational use and not for use in a defensive role?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    So now people are liking PCCs? In other threads here (I think I started one of them) I've seen almost nothing but negative comments about them. I had been thinking about a suppressed 9mm carbine for home defense use, thinking it could be a little more effective than a pistol depending on circumstances. Especially as there are proven 147gr subsonic ammo offerings readily available.

Or is this thread just about sporting/recreational use and not for use in a defensive role?

It is about whatever you want -- fun competing, excellent training for rifle caliber carbines, or defensive use, if you value an accurate shooting, quiet long gun that holds a bunch of rounds, and is easy to shoot well.

I can only speak for myself.

PCC as a ninja tool is pointless.

PCC as a fun gun is a lot of fun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can only speak for myself.

PCC as a ninja tool is pointless.

PCC as a fun gun is a lot of fun.
    I'm not a ninja. Is it less effective in the home defense role than a pistol of the same caliber? Some pros I can think of are: easier to shoot well, it's probably a better platform for a suppressor, lots of choices for good optical sights.

I think we can all agree that a pistol cartridge is not as effective as a rifle cartridge at stopping a threat. But then neither is a pistol compared to a rifle, and pistols are a common choice in the HD role.

I'm not a ninja. Is it less effective in the home defense role than a pistol of the same caliber? Some pros I can think of are: easier to shoot well, it's probably a better platform for a suppressor, lots of choices for good optical sights.

I think we can all agree that a pistol cartridge is not as effective as a rifle cartridge at stopping a threat. But then neither is a pistol compared to a rifle, and pistols are a common choice in the HD role.
    Maybe you could get Rob's attention with a PCC based on a Glock 19:

http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/

Sounds like you have it all figured out then.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Maybe you could get Rob's attention with a PCC based on a Glock 19:

http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/
    I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

User Tag List