Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Keep moving!' Couple brandish an AR-15 and a handgun at protesters

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It's not trespassing if the gate is unlocked?
    So if a group of people decide to take a short cut through my back yard on their way between the street and alley it's all cool?

Interesting.
    I remember when the idea of responding to "a group of people decid[ing] to take a short cut through my back yard on their way between the street and alley" by charging onto your lawn with a carbine would have gotten you laughed out of most of the technical subforums on this board.

You remember that time, too.

I guess some people just can't wait for that Boogaloo, eh?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I think that the counterpoint provided by Tamara is valuable to the context of this discussion. Learning can occur...if we are willing to assess all the facts.

Who knows, it may actually prove useful to one of us in the near future. Certainly there is much to consider from the point of view of tactics...not just the law.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I remember when the idea of responding to "a group of people decid[ing] to take a short cut through my back yard on their way between the street and alley" by charging onto your lawn with a carbine would have gotten you laughed out of most of the technical subforums on this board.

Context. If you spent the previous 30 days watching your city burn while the media tells you it’s peaceful and the cops are forbidden by mayors to respond...

You're funny. Tell me another one!

Of course, these days it seems that "leans left" means "Doesn't have cheeto dust on her tonsils & doesn't automatically give a pass to any damfool stunt perpetrated by a cracker as long as they own a gun and are lighter than a paper bag."
    I think it would be swell if you’d refrain from using racial slurs.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Context. If you spent the previous 30 days watching your city burn while the media tells you it’s peaceful and the cops are forbidden by mayors to respond...
    I ain't typing this from Hicksville or suburbia. I still haven't put the plate carrier away from the first part of last month and the camera shop I patronize downtown just got glass back in the window they lost back during the first couple nights of rioting before the curfew was imposed. I'm living hip-deep in context, here.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I ain't typing this from Hicksville or suburbia. I still haven't put the plate carrier away from the first part of last month and the camera shop I patronize downtown just got glass back in the window they lost back during the first couple nights of rioting before the curfew was imposed. I'm living hip-deep in context, here.
    Then why make the statement that implies these homeowners overreacted because of how things used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I don't know if those were the circumstances in their area of operation. (Genuinely don't...as I haven't looked into it.)

Still believe that my initial thoughts on staying inside the home, but prepared to react to any attempt to breach, is most prudent.

Outside on the yard the couple is exposed to too many variables they can't take in (nor react to) all at once.

I respect the right to defend both life and property. I would simply question their tactical decisions based upon a totality of the circumstances.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm fairly confident that the situation being discussed in this thread is neither simple shortcut through a backyard trespassing nor angry mob with already-lit Molotov cocktails specifically targeting the McClosky mansion for destruction, but rather somewhere in between those two extremes. If a large crowd of "protestors" showed up in my neighborhood, I would definitely not be operating under the assumption that things would remain peaceful. (Recent examples across the whole country have shown how quickly a protest --> riot/arson transition can occur.) Directly confronting them with weapons outside my house, however, would not be on the menu for me. I have a hard time understanding why the McCloskys exited their house at all. Rifles in upper floor windows would seem to be safer/more effective, assuming guns need to be involved at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't know if those were the circumstances in their area of operation. (Genuinely don't...as I haven't looked into it.)

Still believe that my initial thoughts on staying inside the home, but prepared to react to any attempt to breach, is most prudent.

Outside on the yard the couple is exposed to too many variables they can't take in (nor react to) all at once.

I respect the right to defend both life and property. I would simply question their tactical decisions based upon a totality of the circumstances.
    Completely agree their tactics leave something to be desired. But we as gun owners should be supporting them and start pushing back on the media propaganda that says “protesters” can do whatever they want and it’s ok but anyone who stands up tho them is wrong.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It's not trespassing if the gate is unlocked?
    So if a group of people decide to take a short cut through my back yard on their way between the street and alley it's all cool?

Interesting.

Tell me what you would physically do in that situation? Tell me if you were the lawyer, what you would have done? Actually done, no political BS. You got the gun, they came through the gate. Your actual move.

What is your go point for pulling the trigger on the group of people? If they were going to break in, set fires, of course, you might have justification to use lethal force.

It has been claimed that the group was armed. One person supposedly displayed magazines. Is that enough to fire? If there are no really visible weapons, and they step onto your front lawn? Shoot then?

What is your goal state? Personal survival? Making a statement for Tucker Carlson? Mine would be to survive.

In many FOF, we tried to avoid conflict and shooting. Does that mean we are leftists? I recall one where a guy claimed I took his place on the FedEx line. Right in my face, yelling and screaming. I backed away and apologized sincerely. Got around him so I was close to the door and I left. Hand on a pocket J with Code Eagle.

You have to decide rationally what gives YOU the best personal outcome, not what's the best sound bit for Tucker Carlson. Tam is correct that lots of you are forgetting it.

So back to JodyH, what exactly do you do when you see someone crossing your lawn at night? I got shot up with Sims when I had to exit the house and look for them. We were forced to exit. Got shot in the hand, among other places and the red give me a start for a second. Shoot them from the window, if they are just walking across the lawn?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 07-04-2020 at 01:47 PM.

User Tag List