Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr Hardcast Wadcutter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Did they seem to be loaded a little hotter than some?
    Not that I noticed, but I was shooting them side-by-side with BB wadcutters and Speer 135gr Short Barrel Gold Dot.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    It is about QC. Black Hills should not be used in the same sentence as DT, Underwood, BB, Cor-Bon etc. Those companies market to Unicorn chasers (nothing against a company for understanding the average inter-web ammo forum reader).
    First, he's talking about one of the lowest tech loads around, the 38 Special lead wadcutter. It's hardly a unicorn load or even particularly remarkable. Second, the companies mentioned aren't fly-by-night reloaders. While they're not necessarily top tier brands (though the BB stuff does have its applications), they shouldn't be considered untrustworthy. Finally, I assume this means you've never had a bad round from one of the vendors who sell to Military and LEO organizations? I haven't, but I've seen examples where others have.

Considering we're talking about 38 Special wadcutter loads presumably for recreational or target shooting, I'd have no concerns about any nationally known and sold brand. Self-defense-oriented loads using boutique hollow points? Sure. Let's stick to what DocGKR has proven to be good.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    First, he's talking about one of the lowest tech loads around, the 38 Special lead wadcutter. It's hardly a unicorn load or even particularly remarkable. Second, the companies mentioned aren't fly-by-night reloaders. While they're not necessarily top tier brands (though the BB stuff does have its applications), they shouldn't be considered untrustworthy. Finally, I assume this means you've never had a bad round from one of the vendors who sell to Military and LEO organizations? I haven't, but I've seen examples where others have.

Considering we're talking about 38 Special wadcutter loads presumably for recreational or target shooting, I'd have no concerns about any nationally known and sold brand. Self-defense-oriented loads using boutique hollow points? Sure. Let's stick to what DocGKR has proven to be good.

Chris
    Sorry my mistake,. I didn't realize from reading the original post that he was talking about Target or recreational shooting.

Many people on this forum carry full wad cutters in their J frames for protection..... Where the highest quality control and consistency would be desirable.

To the OP..... I find federal and Winchester match wad cutters to be very accurate from my J frames and hit two point of aim. Avoid any wadcutter above 650 FPS to 700 FPS out of a 15 oz or lighter revolver as they are not pleasant. You can find the above online for reasonable prices.

As always when looking for a accurate recreational load probably best to buy multiple brands of ammunition and see what works best in your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Sorry my mistake,. I didn't realize from reading the original post that he was talking about Target or recreational shooting.

Many people on this forum carry full wad cutters in their J frames for protection..... Where the highest quality control and consistency would be desirable.

To the OP..... I find federal and Winchester match wad cutters to be very accurate from my J frames and hit two point of aim. Avoid any wadcutter above 650 FPS to 700 FPS out of a 15 oz or lighter revolver as they are not pleasant. You can find the above online for reasonable prices.

As always when looking for a accurate recreational load probably best to buy multiple brands of ammunition and see what works best in your gun.
    Actually I am considering it for use in my wife's J frame for protection. I am considering it due to the following:

1. It utilizes a hard cast full wadcutter.
    2. It is locally available at an OK price
    3. It is factory produced ammo. (I could handload hard cast wadcutters to my own specification with all the superior QA/QC my 50+ years of precision reloading experience could provide and be perfectly confident and comfortable with the result but I take the advice of the experts and only use factory ammo for SD for legal reasons)

I just want to know if I can expect decent QA/QC from the DoubleTap loading and if anybody has any actual experience with this load or DoubleTap in general.

Site Supporter
    Actually I am considering it for use in my wife's J frame for protection. I am considering it due to the following:

3. It is factory produced ammo. (I could handload hard cast wadcutters to my own specification with all the superior QA/QC my 50+ years of precision reloading experience could provide and be perfectly confident and comfortable with the result but I take the advice of the experts and only use factory ammo for SD for legal reasons)

I just want to know if I can expect decent QA/QC from the DoubleTap loading and if anybody has any actual experience with this load or DoubleTap in general.
    My sample of 1 box seemed fine. Shot like any other factory wadcutter. Beyond that, I have no experience with Doubletap. It appears to be bog standard SAAMI spec full wadcutter ammo. No frills, nothing unusual, no outrageous claims. That said, the one box I bought wasn't that much cheaper than Federal's wadcutter load that's vetted and trusted around here.

Chris

That particular DoubleTap load will suit your purposes just fine.
    Buy, shoot and carry with confidence.

DoubleTap has never been known for poor quality, they just have a reputation for selling the sizzle instead of the steak (especially in calibers that tend to attract people who like style over substance. Like 10mm and 357Sig "fans").
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The Federal GMM wadcutter consistently penetrates to 16” from a 2” barrel in whatever you call the jello.

I see absolutely no need for greater BH or velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    The Federal GMM wadcutter consistently penetrates to 16” from a 2” barrel in whatever you call the jello.

I see absolutely no need for greater BH or velocity.
    That's kind of the conclusion I've come to as well.

Theoretically, the harder faster wadcutter might offer better intermediate barrier penetration, but I've never seen that idea validated by somebody that knows what they are doing, and if you are worried about intermediate barrier penetration, you should choose something other than a .38 Special wadcutter.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

From the good Doctor's sticky "BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp"

"Target wadcutters offer good penetration, cut tissue efficiently, and have relatively mild recoil. With wadcutters harder alloys and sharper leading edges are the way to go. Wadcutters perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame.

When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)"

Since I can't find any Federal GM38A anywhere right now that is not $45 - $50 for one box shipped, I'm going to go ahead and buy a box of the DoubleTap and give them a try. I've got some Speer 135gr +P on the way too. It will be interesting to see how the compare in recoil and POA/POI.

From the good Doctor's sticky "BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp"

"Target wadcutters offer good penetration, cut tissue efficiently, and have relatively mild recoil. With wadcutters harder alloys and sharper leading edges are the way to go. Wadcutters perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame.

When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work. A sharper edged wadcutter would even be better... Dr. Fackler has written in Fackler ML: "The Full Wadcutter--An Extremely Effective Bullet Design", Wound Ballistics Review. 4(2):6-7, Fall 1999)"

Since I can't find any Federal GM38A anywhere right now that is not $45 - $50 for one box shipped, I'm going to go ahead and buy a box of the DoubleTap and give them a try. I've got some Speer 135gr +P on the way too. It will be interesting to see how the compare in recoil and POA/POI.
    Winchester super match 148 WC work also....especially as the last time I bought 4 boxes for like $90 shipped. I trust Federal more and will buy those when i find a good price. The Winchester have been accurate and reliable for me.

User Tag List