Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oof...happiness then sadness...

Site Supporter
    My first duty gun back in 1973 was a 4" M28-2. I did carry 357 Magnums. When I got off probation I qualified with a MK IV Series 70 Government Model, in 45 ACP of course. Carried one model of 1911 or other until I retired. Still that old M-28 and a companion M-58 started me on a long love affair with N=frame S&Ws.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    If it’s in wunderbar condition mechanically, spend $200-$250 to get it re-blued. Your dad would be proud to see it restored. 👍
    If I sent it out to be reblued, my dad would probably disown me He'd probably be less offended if I spray painted it. At least you can remove the paint...a little patina and some minor divots are fine, sending it out to be buffed into a bar of soap would offend him in ways I really couldn't imagine doing...

The devil made me do it, Ed. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    If I sent it out to be reblued, my dad would probably disown me He'd probably be less offended if I spray painted it. At least you can remove the paint...a little patina and some minor divots are fine, sending it out to be buffed into a bar of soap would offend him in ways I really couldn't imagine doing...
    If memory serves the M-28 was Maryanne to the M-27’s Ginger. The finish was almost like they had been sand blasted and then blued. Extremely business like and handsome guns. It would be a shame to buff one, the OEM finish is pretty unique.

I remember an incident where a small statured female TX DPS trooper was on a traffic stop when a distraught lady basically ran up and took cover in the back seat of her cruiser. The source of her terror was a 300# 6’14” dude chasing her with an axe. The trooper drew her issue S&W M-28 howitzer and had him prone’d out on hot Texas asphalt for at least 20 minutes until I arrived as backup. I don’t know what she told him while he was frying but he was the happiest to be alive little fellow I ever put in the back of my cruiser.

Site Supporter
    That's "Police Work Patina" and that Revolver Earned It All. And I bet your Dad can tell some stories, even if it was an 8 Officer Department.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

The trouble with rebluing the 28's is that the matte blue is virtually impossible to reproduce. I think I read somewhere that the process Smith used was very noxious and they had to stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    That's "Police Work Patina" and that Revolver Earned It All. And I bet your Dad can tell some stories, even if it was an 8 Officer Department.
    This stories are all "So there I was, at the station, watching Barney Miller at 2am, when some guy called about a cat that kept meowing at him..."

Edit - should explain, my dad was reserves...so he only went in when everyone else was on vacation, holidays, parades, etc. He had a full time job otherwise. From what I can tell, a fairly sought after thing in small PDs in small upstate NY towns (upstate as compared to NYC anyway)...
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 10-14-2021 at 06:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have an M28-2 4" that I found at Clark's. It was in worse shape than yours when I got it; seems it was a Bossier Parish deputy's gun for his 20-year career. I had them re-blue it and do an action job and hone the chambers and it's now my "I'll probably get wet today" gun. It's loaded with .357 Magnum R-P 158-grain SJHPs when I carry it in town and a .38-44 load of 170-grain LSWCs over 6 grains of Unique in .38 brass when I'm in the woods. It's a keeper.

Site Supporter
    The nice thing about N-frame duty guns is that they were hard to bend when applied to hard heads. Knew a Dallas PD officer with a bent Model 19 barrel from such use...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    27's and 28's are particularly susceptible to having issues with the yoke and endshake just because of how heavy the cylinders are. It's a whole lot of mass if someone handles the gun stupidly or shoots it really, really fast. If you find it has functional issues Karl Sokol fixed my 4" model 28 quickly and for a very, very reasonable price even including the action job I requested.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List