Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Review my suppressor alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Finally, I definitely hadn't realized that flow through-type suppressors were quieter at the ear than at the traditionally-measured point one meter to the left of the muzzle. I should have mentioned that while I generally shoot alone and therefore my ears are my main consideration, I can also see using this rifle for home defense, so multiple inside walls might still rule out the flow through type. That will take some more thought. Price is still a consideration, but minor.

Thanks.
    Indoors it won’t matter much what you choose so don’t let the home defense possibility rule out some otherwise solid cans. They’re all essentially the same, sound wise, when you’re lighting off supersonic 5.56 inside a room. By they’re all the same, I mean they’re all going to be loud as hell. It’ll obviously be quieter than an unsuppressed rifle. Mostly you’ll be cutting dB levels down to below the “this causes me physical pain” level. The new hotness that’s already been mentioned here seems to be the HUXWRX Flow 5.56k flow through that’s already been mentioned. They were just awarded the FBI SWAT or HRT contract (I don’t remember if it was one or the other or both). That’s primarily an indoor mission.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    three thoughts spring to mind…
    1. Be prepared to be disappointed. Unless you’ve spent a fair amount of time testing and shooting suppressors, you’re likely going to be disappointed with just about anything you choose. Exceptions might be 300wtf and/or .22 shooting subsonics. Even I have to admit that both of those are giggle-worthy (particularly the former).
    2. don’t get too caught up by new hotness. By the time you get your can, it’ll be old busted. You can try your best to buy todays new hotness, but u less something has changed with paperwork wait times, by the time you have your can at home, something new will be out. To a big deal, but maybe alleviates any desire to try and buy today’s new hotness. Later on, it won’t be.
    3. Multitaskers are best. Unless you actually have a very specific (often professional) use case*, and given 1 and 2 above, you’re better off getting something that’ll work on multiple guns/calibers. IMO that’s a short (6-7in max), light (10-12oz max), .30 can that has mounts available to go between .223, 7.62 (x39 and x54), and 9mm. 9mm is maybe debatable, but why not. And I don’t mean 9mm handguns. IMO center fire handguns deserve their own can. Personally I want a mix of brake and hider mounts in both 7.62 and 5.56 and various thread patterns to work on AR, AK, etc.

*personal example of a specific use case. I have a 9mm SBR AR. I’ve had it for years. I use it at home for pest control with the can and subsonics, and I use it (infrequently, granted, with it was more) for PCC matches. So I have a 9mm can that has a qd flash hider mount. I can easily remove it for matches then come home and put the can back on for ‘coons. One thing I’d do different now is install a brake mount instead of the hider but I’m not burning down any scoresheets regardless so it really doesn’t bother me.

I don’t use the can on handguns, I don’t want “modular”, I just want something that goes easy on/off on a gun that serves dual purpose. That’s it. And even if/when I get a .30 multitasker, and even if it can also do 9mm, that future can will probably never go on this gun. The current setup works too well.
    Thanks. I appreciate the advice to be prepared for disappointment and avoiding the new hotness. I'm not sure about multi-taskers, but you might well be right. Right now I'm leaning towards a 7.62 can when I don't have a 7.62, both for possible future use and also because it might lessen back-pressure gas.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Indoors it won’t matter much what you choose so don’t let the home defense possibility rule out some otherwise solid cans. They’re all essentially the same, sound wise, when you’re lighting off supersonic 5.56 inside a room. By they’re all the same, I mean they’re all going to be loud as hell. It’ll obviously be quieter than an unsuppressed rifle. Mostly you’ll be cutting dB levels down to below the “this causes me physical pain” level. The new hotness that’s already been mentioned here seems to be the HUXWRX Flow 5.56k flow through that’s already been mentioned. They were just awarded the FBI SWAT or HRT contract (I don’t remember if it was one or the other or both). That’s primarily an indoor mission.
    I didn't know about the contract, but it's the most expensive one I'm considering.

I didn't know about the contract, but it's the most expensive one I'm considering.
    It was with HRT: https://huxwrx.com/fbi-awards-huxwrx...essor-contract

Ignore them saying that the FLOW 556k is only available to military/LE, that's since changed. I'll also note that HUXWRX has a pro deal that you can access through ExpertVoice, and that as a veteran you qualify, I recall the discount being fairly generous. Finally, the biggest strike against the FLOW 556k by my book is that it has a much shorter stated service life than some of its competitors:

10,000 rounds threshold with objective 20,000 rounds. Detailed cleaning will help ensure product performance and service life are not compromised - HUXWRX

Source: https://huxwrx.com/content/white-pap...hite-Paper.pdf

I don't doubt that it'll likely reach 20k rounds without much issue with your statement of just casual shooting, and suppressor life is definitely extremely variable depending on firing schedule; think of it like barrel life on an AR, where the same barrel can be burned out in a thousand rounds or two if you're going full auto, while if you're doing slow fire you could easily reach into the tens of thousands without issue. Still, when you have SureFire literally claiming that their cans have unknown service life due to the fact that they have cans with round counts in the 100k with minimal degradation of performance, it might give you pause that the HUXWRX cans have such a low number attached to them.

Just something to think about, as by all accounts, the FLOW 556k performs excellently in all other aspects, with its excellent acoustic suppression, minimal backpressure, and low size and weight.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice to be prepared for disappointment and avoiding the new hotness. I'm not sure about multi-taskers, but you might well be right. Right now I'm leaning towards a 7.62 can when I don't have a 7.62, both for possible future use and also because it might lessen back-pressure gas.
    what cans have you experienced firsthand so far?

This chart is outdates and (should go without saying) skewed towards my wants/needs/interests but might give you some good data points.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

this guy was high on my list after compiling all of that
    https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Reading this with great intensity as I’m also doing my first NFA/suppressor purchase. Primarily for .300BO and 5.56, but it would be nice to have the capability to put it on .308 and .300WM too.

A whole different world that I have zero experience in. Nobody I shoot with does either.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...this guy was high on my list after compiling all of that
    https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7
    I have fallen for the New Hotness and been disappointed, as have several friends.

No one I know, including me, has been disappointed by TBAC suppressors. My Ultra 7 6.5 is an excellent can.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I'm modifying my requirements from a can that will cover 5.56. 300 Blk, and 9mm, down to 5.56 only.
    For a dedicated 5.56 can, I like "k" size and weight cans. Even full size cans on 5.56 guns are still loud, so I'm not super concerned with the sound tradeoff. I'm a big fan of the YHM Turbo K. They showed and even shorter model that is wider at SHOT this year.

My next 5.56 can will likely be the Otter Creek Polonium K. I think the Flow 556k and the CGS Sci Six are really interesting cans too, but I have some concerns with warranty issues on a printed can that doesn't use the Energetic serial ring.

I’ve found the initial learning curve for sound suppression is very steep.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve found the initial learning curve for sound suppression is very steep.
    This is an understatement.

I’ve waited a LONG time to get to the point being able to purchase anything NFA. It’s daunting.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List