Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Review my suppressor alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Also, cans on handguns are strictly a toy, IMO, the changes in POA/POI and how much more awkward the gun becomes afterwards
    Very much agreed. Just today I put the Octane 9 on my P30 for the first time in about 2 years. Thought it might be fun to shoot milk jugs at 100 yards. With Fiocchi 158 gr, it took about 5 rounds to find my hold point. No more jugs, and likely won't use it for another 2 years. With mild tinnitus, my ears are still ringing after only 15 rounds. So I ended up with an expensive, long awaited range toy that still requires ear pro. CF silencers on pistols are not that silent.

I've found in regards to accuracy, the Octane 9HD and P30 make a hell of an accurate combo. I can cut the x out of a B8 at 25 yards, but if the can breaks loose, it sends rounds off target in multiples of feet. I'm constantly torque checking.
    Taking a break from social media.

What do you mean by performance? Acoustic suppression, visual signature suppression, POI shift repeatability, gas blowback, etc.?

IMO, multiuse cans are very much compromises; if you have a trust, I personally would prefer to just get dedicated cans, unless the suppressor will be used primarily for funsies, which is fine, but your emphasis on performance is what struck me.

Also, cans on handguns are strictly a toy, IMO, the changes in POA/POI and how much more awkward the gun becomes afterwards means that I've thrown my pistol can on an actual handgun like twice, once just to see how it was, and once for my friends to play with, otherwise it lives on my PCC.

If you're really just looking to suppress the two ARs, and still really want to use just one can for both, I would do a hard pass on the Omega 36M, and look at the plethora of short .30 caliber cans (SilencerCo, Dead Air, Rugged, SureFire, YHM, B&T, etc.), assuming that maximum acoustic suppression on the .300 BLK isn't your end goal.
    I think the trend is heading the other way, but I fully agree.

Jack of all trades has disappointed me in almost every instance I can think of. I get the reason for it since cans are such a PITA to get, but I’m pretty happy sticking to dedicated caliber suppressors for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Pew science has a recent article with comparisons of flow through suppressors tested on a mk18 556 sbr and has discussion about soundlevels at the muzzle vs shooters ear. It may still be of interest even though it's focused on 556. While flow through seems to also mean pricey, it does seem to be effective at reducing sound levels at the ear per their tests.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...aming-the-mk18

I read that the Omega 300 hit a sweet spot when it was introduced in 2015, but since then there are others that match its performance in a smaller package with less back pressure. Is this accurate?

I'm modifying my requirements from a can that will cover 5.56. 300 Blk, and 9mm, down to 5.56 only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I read that the Omega 300 hit a sweet spot when it was introduced in 2015, but since then there are others that match its performance in a smaller package with less back pressure. Is this accurate?

I'm modifying my requirements from a can that will cover 5.56. 300 Blk, and 9mm, down to 5.56 only.
    That sounds about right about the Omega 300. It'll still work just fine, and realistically, my SWAG is that you'll not notice any real difference with the newer cans of the same design goal, even if they meter better, just because the human ear sucks at determining volume in a precise way, plus you'll want to have ear pro on anyway since the 5.56×45mm is still going to be supersonic. The back pressure issue is real, but given that it's a .30 caliber can, it shouldn't be a huge deal, since it'll be overbored anyway.

If you want a dedicated 5.56×45mm can, I'd suggest figuring out your budget, and how much weight you're willing to deal with, and go from there. A full-sized can will obviously give better suppression characteristics, both acoustic and visual, but will also be heavier, something to really consider on a 16" gun. For a 16" gun, for my personal preference, a mini can would probably be more my speed, as it'll both be lighter and have less backpressure when utilizing a traditional baffled design, though I also don't really prize acoustic signature reduction as much as other factors; a mini can on a full-sized rifle generally sounds pretty similar to a full-sized on an SBR. PewScience is an invaluable resource, I second the encouragement that you check it out, as they have lots of good data there.

Also something to consider is that flow through suppressor designs tend to be louder than baffled suppressors using traditional measurements (1 meter left of muzzle), they can be quieter for the shooter, due to the lessening of port noise due to reduced backpressure, so the question is do you care more about acoustic suppression for the shooter or for bystanders (or the targets downrange)? If it's for the shooter, flow through designs should definitely be something to look at if they fit your budget.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-22-2023 at 11:04 PM.

That sounds about right about the Omega 300. It'll still work just fine, and realistically, my SWAG is that you'll not notice any real difference with the newer cans of the same design goal, even if they meter better, just because the human ear sucks at determining volume in a precise way, plus you'll want to have ear pro on anyway since the 5.56×45mm is still going to be supersonic. The back pressure issue is real, but given that it's a .30 caliber can, it shouldn't be a huge deal, since it'll be overbored anyway.

If you want a dedicated 5.56×45mm can, I'd suggest figuring out your budget, and how much weight you're willing to deal with, and go from there. A full-sized can will obviously give better suppression characteristics, both acoustic and visual, but will also be heavier, something to really consider on a 16" gun. For a 16" gun, for my personal preference, a mini can would probably be more my speed, as it'll both be lighter and have less backpressure when utilizing a traditional baffled design, though I also don't really prize acoustic signature reduction as much as other factors; a mini can on a full-sized rifle generally sounds pretty similar to a full-sized on an SBR. PewScience is an invaluable resource, I second the encouragement that you check it out, as they have lots of good data there.

Also something to consider is that flow through suppressor designs tend to be louder than baffled suppressors using traditional measurements (1 meter left of muzzle), they can be quieter for the shooter, due to the lessening of port noise due to reduced backpressure, so the question is do you care more about acoustic suppression for the shooter or for bystanders (or the targets downrange)? If it's for the shooter, flow through designs should definitely be something to look at if they fit your budget.
    This post is something of a revelation to me by linking factors I didn't understand were linked.

The back pressure issue is real, but given that it's a .30 caliber can, it shouldn't be a huge deal, since it'll be overbored anyway.
    This makes sense but I hadn't considered it.

For a 16" gun, for my personal preference, a mini can would probably be more my speed, as it'll both be lighter and have less backpressure when utilizing a traditional baffled design...
    Right - give up a few dB in order get a setup that has less gas in the face. I also hadn't realized until recently that GITF was a real problem, and not just something I'd be able to ignore.

...flow through suppressor designs tend to be louder than baffled suppressors using traditional measurements (1 meter left of muzzle), they can be quieter for the shooter
    Finally, I definitely hadn't realized that flow through-type suppressors were quieter at the ear than at the traditionally-measured point one meter to the left of the muzzle. I should have mentioned that while I generally shoot alone and therefore my ears are my main consideration, I can also see using this rifle for home defense, so multiple inside walls might still rule out the flow through type. That will take some more thought. Price is still a consideration, but minor.

Thanks.

three thoughts spring to mind…
    1. Be prepared to be disappointed. Unless you’ve spent a fair amount of time testing and shooting suppressors, you’re likely going to be disappointed with just about anything you choose. Exceptions might be 300wtf and/or .22 shooting subsonics. Even I have to admit that both of those are giggle-worthy (particularly the former).
    2. don’t get too caught up by new hotness. By the time you get your can, it’ll be old busted. You can try your best to buy todays new hotness, but u less something has changed with paperwork wait times, by the time you have your can at home, something new will be out. To a big deal, but maybe alleviates any desire to try and buy today’s new hotness. Later on, it won’t be.
    3. Multitaskers are best. Unless you actually have a very specific (often professional) use case*, and given 1 and 2 above, you’re better off getting something that’ll work on multiple guns/calibers. IMO that’s a short (6-7in max), light (10-12oz max), .30 can that has mounts available to go between .223, 7.62 (x39 and x54), and 9mm. 9mm is maybe debatable, but why not. And I don’t mean 9mm handguns. IMO center fire handguns deserve their own can. Personally I want a mix of brake and hider mounts in both 7.62 and 5.56 and various thread patterns to work on AR, AK, etc.

*personal example of a specific use case. I have a 9mm SBR AR. I’ve had it for years. I use it at home for pest control with the can and subsonics, and I use it (infrequently, granted, with it was more) for PCC matches. So I have a 9mm can that has a qd flash hider mount. I can easily remove it for matches then come home and put the can back on for ‘coons. One thing I’d do different now is install a brake mount instead of the hider but I’m not burning down any scoresheets regardless so it really doesn’t bother me.

I don’t use the can on handguns, I don’t want “modular”, I just want something that goes easy on/off on a gun that serves dual purpose. That’s it. And even if/when I get a .30 multitasker, and even if it can also do 9mm, that future can will probably never go on this gun. The current setup works too well.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

And now a question….

Is there a .30 cal flow through can with QD hider and brake mounts in various thread pitches that’s ~6in long and ~10oz?

‘Cause “shooter’s ear” is literally about the only thing I care about when looking at suppressors.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    Pew science has a recent article with comparisons of flow through suppressors tested on a mk18 556 sbr and has discussion about soundlevels at the muzzle vs shooters ear. It may still be of interest even though it's focused on 556. While flow through seems to also mean pricey, it does seem to be effective at reducing sound levels at the ear per their tests.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signatu...aming-the-mk18
    Thanks. That pretty much changes everything I thought I knew about flow through and proprietary mount designs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    three thoughts spring to mind…
    1. Be prepared to be disappointed. Unless you’ve spent a fair amount of time testing and shooting suppressors, you’re likely going to be disappointed with just about anything you choose. Exceptions might be 300wtf and/or .22 shooting subsonics. Even I have to admit that both of those are giggle-worthy (particularly the former).
    2. don’t get too caught up by new hotness. By the time you get your can, it’ll be old busted. You can try your best to buy todays new hotness, but u less something has changed with paperwork wait times, by the time you have your can at home, something new will be out. To a big deal, but maybe alleviates any desire to try and buy today’s new hotness. Later on, it won’t be.
    3. Multitaskers are best. Unless you actually have a very specific (often professional) use case*, and given 1 and 2 above, you’re better off getting something that’ll work on multiple guns/calibers. IMO that’s a short (6-7in max), light (10-12oz max), .30 can that has mounts available to go between .223, 7.62 (x39 and x54), and 9mm. 9mm is maybe debatable, but why not. And I don’t mean 9mm handguns. IMO center fire handguns deserve their own can. Personally I want a mix of brake and hider mounts in both 7.62 and 5.56 and various thread patterns to work on AR, AK, etc.

*personal example of a specific use case. I have a 9mm SBR AR. I’ve had it for years. I use it at home for pest control with the can and subsonics, and I use it (infrequently, granted, with it was more) for PCC matches. So I have a 9mm can that has a qd flash hider mount. I can easily remove it for matches then come home and put the can back on for ‘coons. One thing I’d do different now is install a brake mount instead of the hider but I’m not burning down any scoresheets regardless so it really doesn’t bother me.

I don’t use the can on handguns, I don’t want “modular”, I just want something that goes easy on/off on a gun that serves dual purpose. That’s it. And even if/when I get a .30 multitasker, and even if it can also do 9mm, that future can will probably never go on this gun. The current setup works too well.
    I’ve already stated why I disagree (but understand) with point number three but I definitely agree with one and two.

1. A full size can on a 16” would be very long. I really only use my full size on my 14.5s when shooting off a bipod or tripod and that’s still an inch or so shorter than a 16” gun. But I was also told to not get a shorty for my first suppressor because of how disappointing it’ll sound in regards to actual suppression.

I was convinced to think of them as signature reduction more than sound suppressors and definitely not silencers. In that sense, at least on a 5.56 AR, I’m good with it. But if you’re really trying to get quiet, this will end in disappointment.

2. Because of all of the annoying NFA stuff and the huge assortment of proprietary mounts, I want the gold standard when it comes to suppressors. I think there is something ti be said for newest technology since this area is growing tremendously over the last few years like LPVOs and pistol red dots but I definitely don’t want to be a test subject when it comes to an NFA item. The SureFire RC2 and Mini still seems like the Glock 19 answer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List