Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fed up with crappy Multi-tool Pliers?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    While the contractors were building my parent's house, I witnessed an electrician inadvertently "weld" a set of lineman's pliers together. For 12-year-old me, it was quite an eye-opener.
    I've done that too! The big one for me was a pair of needle nose. Nothing makes an impression quite like wiring in 220v hot and hitting a capacitor and jumping about 1000v through your needle nose pliers and watching chunks fly off of them as slag. Hardened Klein-made needle nose pliers at that, not some cheap junk. It's...something and makes you glad you have insulation around the handles.

This discussion just reminded me that I need a better set of cable cutters. The cutters on leatherman multi tools dont cut snare wire very well.

Looks like its going to cost about $65 to get a good set of cable cutters that can do it quickly and cleanly.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

For cutting thicker wire, I like the mini bolt cutters. They come in 6.25" & 8". I don't remember which ones I have, but I think they're the 8".

https://www.kctool.com/knipex-71-01-...-plastic-grip/

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    This discussion just reminded me that I need a better set of cable cutters. The cutters on leatherman multi tools dont cut snare wire very well.

Looks like its going to cost about $65 to get a good set of cable cutters that can do it quickly and cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by apex84 View Post
    For cutting thicker wire, I like the mini bolt cutters. They come in 6.25" & 8". I don't remember which ones I have, but I think they're the 8".

Thanks!

The trapping supply places seem to like the Felco C7 cable cutters,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Felc...ih=568&dpr=1.1

and I noticed that kctool has a similar type for similar money

https://www.kctool.com/knipex-95-61-...-plastic-grip/

Ive had dogs get caught in snares a couple times, once was dangerously close to fatal, and it wasnt easy to get the snare cut off her. In my 15 minutes of deep internet research that made me an SME, it looks like the cable cutters with the V type jaws seem to shear wire rope cable well.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If anyone cares, I'm using the info in this thread to come up with a small kit to replace a Leatherman. While the idea of an all-in-one tool is cool (and I've owned several Leathermans (Leathermen? Leatherpersons?), every time I actually break mine out, I'm disappointed by its performance. Since I never wear it as an EDC item (it's in my "adventure bag"), I figure a kit with purpose-built tools would be better if I can keep it small and light. These 5" Knipex cobra pliers seem like a great starting point.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

If anyone cares, I'm using the info in this thread to come up with a small kit to replace a Leatherman. While the idea of an all-in-one tool is cool (and I've owned several Leathermans (Leathermen? Leatherpersons?), every time I actually break mine out, I'm disappointed by its performance. Since I never wear it as an EDC item (it's in my "adventure bag"), I figure a kit with purpose-built tools would be better if I can keep it small and light. These 5" Knipex cobra pliers seem like a great starting point.
    As a regular Leatherman carrier, I probably use the tools in this order of frequency:
    Regular use:
    1. pliers (however, risk of rounding/slipping is often there)
    2. phillips screwdriver
    3. flat screwdriver
    Moderate use:
    4. file
    5. can opener
    6. wire cutter
    Rare use:
    7. Awl
    8. Saw (Used the saw actually just this past Christmas to cut an impromptu live tree down, like 2" diameter trunk )
    9. Ruler

Currently carrying an original Supertool since I lost my Wave a few years ago. When I did have the Wave the scissors probably would've been up around #3 or #4 in the Regular use category.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    As a regular Leatherman carrier, I probably use the tools in this order of frequency:
    Regular use:
    1. pliers (however, risk of rounding/slipping is often there)
    2. phillips screwdriver
    3. flat screwdriver
    Moderate use:
    4. file
    5. can opener
    6. wire cutter
    Rare use:
    7. Awl
    8. Saw (Used the saw actually just this past Christmas to cut an impromptu live tree down, like 2" diameter trunk )
    9. Ruler

Currently carrying an original Supertool since I lost my Wave a few years ago. When I did have the Wave the scissors probably would've been up around #3 or #4 in the Regular use category.
    Im interested in improvements, however....

I use the old leatherman PSTII quite a lot. Ive never thought "this is such a great tool for this task", its mostly seriously sub-optimal for most tasks, its greatest value to me is that its small enough I can pocket carry it along with the SAK Supertinker and other pocket junk. Its always right at hand. I muddle through with it, the handles suck, and it gets the job done. Despite its shotcomings, I wont replace it unless the alternative is similar compactness and ease of carry.

Id buy another PSTII if I could find one. Nothing else ive seen in newer models or other makes has the same basic tools in such a compact tool. Not interested in anything that requires a belt case to carry.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

It isn't super heavy duty, but pairing a pair of small pliers like the Knipex in the thread with a traditional Swiss Army knife works well. I like the Tinker Small for the smallest & lightest knife with flat & Phillips screwdrivers. A Victorinox Cyber Tool model or Farmer are also nice, depending on whether you want more drivers or a decent saw & awl. If you have a little more space, there are lots of bit holding screwdriver kits. This is one (https://www.kctool.com/wera-051024-k...-25-pouch-set/).

That's exactly what I did years ago. I put up a series of videos on YT as I went along and you may find some inspiration if you can endure my long-winded explanations, lol.

Here's my channel if you or anyone else is interested... At the risk of sounding arrogant, you may find some ideas you really like there.

https://youtube.com/@gearfondler3161

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    That's exactly what I did years ago. I put up a series of videos on YT as I went along and you may find some inspiration if you can endure my long-winded explanations, lol.

Here's my channel if you or anyone else is interested... At the risk of sounding arrogant, you may find some ideas you really like there.

https://youtube.com/@gearfondler3161
    Subscribed with notifications! Fun stuff! I have also put together a small pouch of compact tools that all began with the little Knipix plier then their adj wrench. But I'm a tool amateur so here we go.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List