Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tactical Cargo Pants

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    ...I have had the same size inconsistency issue with Tactical Distributors jeans. One pair is perfect, the other is 2 inches too big and 2 inches too long but the tag says it’s the same size.
    That was the dealbreaker for TD for me, along with my conversation with their CS who refused to take a return of 2 pairs of outsized pants after I had washed them.

2nd pair of Vertx Delta 2.1 inbound. Note that these run 1" narrow in the waist and about 2" short in length after washing.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GYCQR5B/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Random observations from a guy that has been doing "tactical pants" when 5.11 was Royal Robbins.

Day in day out, the LAPG brand exceeds the intersection of quality/value/feature set even at retail. A potential downside is much of their line in sewn in the PRC.

The knock against Vertx has often been inconsistent sizing and fabric behavior after washing. IIRC, this has been a thing since day one. It seems like early on, they were off loading a lot of inconsistent fitting product via Botach.

5.11, day in day out, has had some of the most consistent sizing and fabric behavior in the sub 80.00 retail space. A potential downside is that at retail, their pricing can be high and on sale, common sizes are often to find.

it is unfortunate that TD is having problems dialing their sizing in. The cut and feature set is often ideal for folks that want to move away from a more "tactical teddy" look to a 'hiker hank."

IMHO/YMMV

PS-I am still quite high on the 5.11 Defender Flex line.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Not to pile on TD, but I ordered two shirts that fit well so I washed them. When I tried to put the shirts on, the plastic snaps broke on both shirts. I tried to return them but I washed them so it was a no go. I am torn if TD stands for Tactical Distributor or Tactical Dumpster. The CR's that fit are nice, but the one with a couple of extra inches in the waist are horrible.

I did not pull out the tape but did lay all of my LAPG jeans and pants on top of each other and they show little to no variance in size. I have worn both pairs of my pants now and they fit exactly like the jeans.

I agree with VC that 5.11 makes some great stuff.

I’ve had good luck with 5.11 fit and sizing. LAPG stuff fits fine as well but the inseam has shrunk on every pair I own, from jeans to cargo pants. So even though I wear a size 34” inseam, I always order a size 36 inseam when it comes to LAPG. My TD pants have held up fine, but they fit a bit weird. Their slim jeans are almost like tight skinny jeans. And while their sale prices are decent, it’s hard to find my size when they’re on sale. But I agree that LAPG prices are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    2nd pair of Vertx Delta 2.1 inbound. Note that these run 1" narrow in the waist and about 2" short in length after washing.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GYCQR5B/
    The 2nd pair of Delta 2.1 arrived today. The sizing is identical to my first pair. And they are made in Bangladesh.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Random observations from a guy that has been doing "tactical pants" when 5.11 was Royal Robbins.

Day in day out, the LAPG brand exceeds the intersection of quality/value/feature set even at retail. A potential downside is much of their line in sewn in the PRC.

The knock against Vertx has often been inconsistent sizing and fabric behavior after washing. IIRC, this has been a thing since day one. It seems like early on, they were off loading a lot of inconsistent fitting product via Botach.

5.11, day in day out, has had some of the most consistent sizing and fabric behavior in the sub 80.00 retail space. A potential downside is that at retail, their pricing can be high and on sale, common sizes are often to find.

it is unfortunate that TD is having problems dialing their sizing in. The cut and feature set is often ideal for folks that want to move away from a more "tactical teddy" look to a 'hiker hank."

IMHO/YMMV

I second this. I've found LAPG's clothing to be just about the best value around. I've had really good luck with their pants and polo shirts, which fit true to size (a rarity these days it seems). Their Chino pants and jeans in slim fit/stretch sizes fit like a dream for those with a muscular build looking for something between form-fitting and baggy. They are loose enough to be comfortable and maneuverable but slim enough to look very professional for a business casual setting. Their polo shirts are some of the best I've found when it comes to fit and material quality. Over the years I've gone back to them for my daily business clothing, though I have limited experience with their cargo-style "tactical" pants. The only pair of those I own are fine but unremarkable. They also have a pretty generous rewards program that is free when you make an account (free points for leaving reviews, etc.).
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

I haven't found consistent sizing in the LAPG line. Won't buy any more trousers from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That was the dealbreaker for TD for me, along with my conversation with their CS who refused to take a return of 2 pairs of outsized pants after I had washed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Not to pile on TD, but I ordered two shirts that fit well so I washed them. When I tried to put the shirts on, the plastic snaps broke on both shirts. I tried to return them but I washed them so it was a no go. I am torn if TD stands for Tactical Distributor or Tactical Dumpster.
    Disappointing to hear this. I've had good customer service from TD on two different occasions with two different generations of their Neptune pants (one where the pocket mesh gave out and one where the fly button came loose). In both instances, replacement pants were provided immediately, even though the defective pants had been worn and washed a number of times. Granted, those were material defects and not sizing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Thanks for posting this. I have a 5.11 store about 3 miles away, I never even thought about checking our their jeans until you posted.

Work used to provide 5.11 pants for BDU style uniform. This year they are pushing pants from First Tactical. Initial impressions are favorable. Pockets are large and deeper than 5.11. The 5.11's had the option of a knee pad insert. I ordered a set and quickly realized the pocket for the pads was too high to actually protect your knees. The knee pad pocket in the First Tactical appear to be better placed. I tried the 5.11 pads and while they didn't fill the pocket, they sat at the right level. I ordered a set of knee pads for the First Tactical pants and they should be here this week.

https://www.firsttactical.com/collec...tactical-pants
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List