Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry Fundamentals

Mike is a great instructor, but carrying a Wilson 1911 isn’t the answer. If someone can’t safely holster a Glock, they should strongly consider more training.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Mike is a great instructor, but carrying a Wilson 1911 isn’t the answer. If someone can’t safely holster a Glock, they should strongly consider more training.
    I've been carrying Glocks appendix style since the late 80's and never realized that it was missing anything until Tom came out with the "gadget". Now I wouldn't be without one despite never having come close to a ND over those ~30 years on or off the job.

I realize Wilson's gonna Wilson but nonetheless, what is true is true. What is not...is not. It's okay to be discriminating as regards what one takes as gospel.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I've watched that video with a Glock 48 in AIWB, yet I don't have much disagreement with him.

If the industry made something like 48 and 19 sizes, but DA/SA with a good optic interface, my Glocks would have been a history.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've watched that video with a Glock 48 in AIWB, yet I don't have much disagreement with him.
    I watched it with a P-07 AIWB. With a decocker, no thumb safety.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    We could parse this thread down to just the above quote. Most excellent answer.
    AIWB, and gun saftery in general is a software issue.
    Safeties, SCD's and such are just hardware backups to software failures.

Kind of how most AD's, when cut down to the bone of it, are usually an ND, due to not following the simple rules.
    Last edited by wvincent; 08-21-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Bonus points to S&W M&P 2.0 Compact with thumb safety for AIWB?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The only nitpicks I have are no mention of thumbing the holster on a revolver/DA gun and the assumption the fight is over if you are reholstering. That's not always the case, as I've mentioned before. I had another encounter that illustrated that point not too long ago. In a nutshell, meth fueled guy with a large knife at a "cover but don't shoot yet" distance, charges, throws the knife and is now empty hands, but still closing. Sometimes you do need to get the gun out of your hand quick.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree. I also agree with the comments that training/software issues lead to NDs. However I'm not perfect and can screw something up. I'd much rather have another layer of safety for appendix carry even if it isn't strictly required.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The only nitpicks I have are no mention of thumbing the holster on a revolver/DA gun and the assumption the fight is over if you are reholstering. That's not always the case, as I've mentioned before. I had another encounter that illustrated that point not too long ago. In a nutshell, meth fueled guy with a large knife at a "cover but don't shoot yet" distance, charges, throws the knife and is now empty hands, but still closing. Sometimes you do need to get the gun out of your hand quick.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree. I also agree with the comments that training/software issues lead to NDs. However I'm not perfect and can screw something up. I'd much rather have another layer of safety for appendix carry even if it isn't strictly required.
    So would you rather have to do that with an AIWB holster or one mounted elsewhere?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So would you rather have to do that with an AIWB holster or one mounted elsewhere?
    Personally? I'd rather have strong side carry in a manner I can clear concealment, if required, one handed and while bladed from the aggressor.

The vast majority of the time you'll have the luxury of "looking the gun into the holster", pelvis thrusting as required. However that's not the same as always, so mostly what I take issue with is the blanket statement the fight is over if you are holstering.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Appendix Carry Fundamentals

So how would a compact Beretta storm px4 that’s been converted to decocker only make as an appendix carry pistol? It used to have a manual thumb safety but not no more. Lol. It’s safety now is the long 10-pound pull DA trigger when not cocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by corneileous; 08-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.

User Tag List