Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about STI guns

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Warrior45, I have the Costa Carrry Comp in 9 which is basically the same pistol, different cosmetics I believe(and the optics cut). I was amazed at how good this pistol is. I am a hard core 1911 guy. The trigger is better than my Ed Brown and my buddies Wilson. The lockup is tight, the fitting is very good but most importantly it shoots exceptionally well. But worth is very subjective and includes factors well outside the actual item in question. 4k to one person may be a crazy number but to others its not much. So the comfort level and availability of disposable income become a factor. So to anyone contemplating such a purchase I would say, does buying it leave you with no money to shoot or train for a really long time? If yes then it might not be worth it. But if it has no impact on the other necessities then I would give it a healthy consideration. Its an excellent pistol.
    I have also been checking reviews and looking online for any information I can get on the DVC-P, Costa Carry Comp and the Omni. There really isn’t a lot of info out there. I have handled a couple STI’s and I am very impressed. I am very intrigued by these three pistols. I am just looking for more first hand accounts before I drop that much money. If I pick up one of these comped guns it wouldn’t hurt my ammo/training budget too much. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Site Supporter
    You will find out a lot more about STI and SVI pistols on the Brian Enos forum as the S_I have been seen as competition pistols - yes they have duty use also but I suspect MOST STI are competition oriented.

I have a older STI framed 45 2011 that I like a lot but "STI" seems to have gone through a reorganization and refocusing so it would be interesting to get feedback on the most recent STI offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    You will find out a lot more about STI and SVI pistols on the Brian Enos forum as the S_I have been seen as competition pistols - yes they have duty use also but I suspect MOST STI are competition oriented.

I have a older STI framed 45 2011 that I like a lot but "STI" seems to have gone through a reorganization and refocusing so it would be interesting to get feedback on the most recent STI offerings.
    I am more interested in the latest STI’s and how they hold up to duty use. Really interested to hear how the Staccatos hold up to USMS SOG use over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Website says C is aluminum frame. Unsure on P...doesn't say. Anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    All the P's are steel framed guns.
    Is this accurate? My Staccato P DUO 9mm is not a steel-framed gun. Mine has a polymer frame. The serialized portion may be steel, I am not sure, but these are not 100% steel guns, if that is what you are after. As stated in a previous comment, if that is what you want you will need a grip like the Cheely Custom or similar.
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    Is this accurate? My Staccato P DUO 9mm is not a steel-framed gun. Mine has a polymer frame. The serialized portion may be steel, I am not sure, but these are not 100% steel guns, if that is what you are after. As stated in a previous comment, if that is what you want you will need a grip like the Cheely Custom or similar.
    I guess we are both technically right. The actual frame containing the rails the slide rides on is steel on my P. The grip module attached to the steel frame is polymer. I have seen some aftermarket all steel/ aluminum frames in the past but unsure of the manufacturer.

I also find it interesting the price difference between the Staccato line and the DVC line. For instance, at my local gun store they have a Staccato P DUO 9mm (exactly like mine) and a DVC-P 9mm which also has the optic cut system. The Staccato P is $2499 and the DVC is $3399. The only differences between the two are the Staccato P comes with a magwell and the DVC-P has some cutouts in the slide. Other than that, they are identical pistols and the Staccato P even has an upgrade over the DVC-P (the magwell). They both also have complete IonBond finishes on the metal parts.

So my question is, why the huge price difference? You're not, in my opinion, getting $900 more gun with the DVC line. I understand with the OMNI and some of the other models that have the island comp barrel, but with the two pistols I saw, they were almost identical, one was just $900 more than the other one.

I think the Staccato P DUO 9mm is one of the best deals in the 1911/2011 market right now. I did not like a lot of STIs old products and was very hesitant to purchase one for years, but I saw a lot of good things regarding the Staccato P and with their DUO system and three mags for under $2500, I jumped on the one I have. It has a Holosun 507c on top (very pleasantly surprised with this optic as well for $250) and about 1500 rounds through it now with no cleaning. All I do is add some Wilson Combat light oil and then shoot it more. The gun is extremely smooth. I don't neglect cleaning my firearms, but when they simply do not feel like they need to be cleaned, I don't do it. I would rather just add more oil and shoot on. The trigger on mine is also very nice and comparable to $3000-5000 1911s I have owned. YMMV.
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Quote Originally Posted by CDFIII View Post
    I guess we are both technically right. The actual frame containing the rails the slide rides on is steel on my P. The grip module attached to the steel frame is polymer. I have seen some aftermarket all steel/ aluminum frames in the past but unsure of the manufacturer.
    Ok we are on the same page. I just wanted to make sure that anyone reading this that is interested in one understands that the grip is polymer.

Thank you for your response.

I figured this thread could use some pictures. Hope y’all don’t mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STI’s site says the Staccato-C is an aluminum frame, but does not appear to say what material the Staccato-P is made of.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    STI’s site says the Staccato-C is an aluminum frame, but does not appear to say what material the Staccato-P is made of.

The frame is polymer. The frame rails are steel. The slide and small parts are steel.

User Tag List