Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: CT Gun Laws

When I lived in East Lyme, about 5 years ago, I had my town permit in four weeks. Some towns like to add additional time and requirements,in violation of state law. IIRC the town has 60 days to approve or deny your permit. They are not allowed to add any other requirements other then what ismandated under state law.

If you don’t get your permit before moving there then just dropoff the application with other state requirements to the town you moved to. Ifyou don’t hear back in 60 days file an appeal to the state board. The clock starts the day you drop off the application.

http://ctpistolpermitissues.com/ct-p...ermit-process/
    Last edited by 5pins; 10-12-2018 at 06:34 AM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

In Suffolk County (Long Island) NY, they had at the time a 9-month folder system: as each month passed, those month's applications were moved one spot forward. After nine months, they called to let a person come in and pick up their license.

A friend of mine, a county police detective, said the entire application process, including sending the prints into the FBI, was no more than three or four weeks. It's all part of the strategy to discourage people from pursuing the license. BTW, in NY you need the license just to be able to lawfully posses a handgun, even in just your home. Does not appear that CT has gotten that bad (yet).

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Your AR pistol is a no go. If you want an AR you are going to have to buy one of these stupid "Others" that shops are selling now. Basically an 11"/12" barreled upper with a vert grip and an arm brace. You can not transfer your BCM lower into the state and lawfully poses it. Your only other option is to purchase a Pre 94/Pre-Ban lower which you will pay an exorbitant premium on.

As far as your local permit goes, it runs basically at the speed of your local detective bureau and the Chief's office. Your best bet is to make a call to the local PD of any town you are considering moving to and asking for a projected wait time. If you pick a town with a Resident CT State Trooper, you are almost better off because all permit paperwork goes right to the CSP Special Licensing and Firearms Unit and they are typically more efficient.

CT laws are beyond ridiculous, that being said we are still a "Free" state and you can buy a suppressor. You just can't have a threaded barrel on your pistol unless it's a pre-ban.

https://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494614

Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.
    https://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/s...re_06-7-16.pdf

https://www.jud.ct.gov/LawLib/Law/firearms.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    In Suffolk County (Long Island) NY, they had at the time a 9-month folder system: as each month passed, those month's applications were moved one spot forward. After nine months, they called to let a person come in and pick up their license.
    In CT if you do not hear in the allotted time you can file an appeal on the basis of constructive denial. However the appeals are already scheduled into 2020.

https://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp...&Q=602780&PM=1

Site Supporter
    In CT, can you purchase pre-94 firearms from out of state, or do they have to be already in-state to be legal?

AR-based “others” are interesting. Yes, they are, well, silly, but they can be rule-booker weapons where there are silly laws.

The first time I noticed this type of firearm was during my early retirement days, while waiting for my former employer to “process” my LEOSA/honorably-retired-peace-officer* paperwork, which would enable me to shoot a “retiree” qual. I very nearly bought a “multi” AR lower, and a long-enough upper, to make such a firearm. (In actual practice, I bought a fortuitously-available, like-new, pre-owned FN PS90, and carried some serious fixed-blade knives.)

*By the letter of state law, I seemed to be legal to carry any weapon, including a handgun, as I had fired recent quals while still active, but carrying a handgun after my retired date, and it being brought to official attention, before firing a retiree-specific qual, might have resulted in my former employer revoking the “honorable” part of my retirement status, with no clear path to regaining honorably-retired status.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    In CT, can you purchase pre-94 firearms from out of state, or do they have to be already in-state to be legal?
    Out of state is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    CT laws are beyond ridiculous, that being said we are still a "Free" state and you can buy a suppressor. You just can't have a threaded barrel on your pistol unless it's a pre-ban.
    So...how do you mount your legally purchased suppressor?

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Can't put a threaded barrel on a semi-automatic pistol that wasn't previously registered as an assault weapon. Bolt guns are okay with a threaded barrel.

You can use a muzzle device adapter on an AR type rifle if it meets the criteria others here have mentioned.

User Tag List