Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: K Frame Stocks for High-Volume Shooting

RFI: K Frame Stocks for High-Volume Shooting

Ran a match over the weekend with a new Model 19-9 Classic. The round count was around 200, and I was shooting American Eagle 158gr LRN (fairly weak stuff).

I ran into two issues:

(1) The speedloader cut-out in the factory target stocks was fine enough for loading (using Comp-IIIs), but the relief cutout area was so thick that a single piece of brass would get caught between the cylinder and the stock every reload regardless of how vertical the muzzle was. Had to switch to right hand ejection by the second stage, which added time and motion.

(2) the factory stocks come up very high behind the trigger guard. By the third stage, the rear of the trigger guard had impacted my middle finger so many times that I was bleeding for the rest of the match. I was surprised; that ammo is not even rated for 120,000 power factor. I prefer to not bleed on blued steel to the extent avoidable.

I’m looking at options that provide more ejection clearance and occupy more space behind the trigger guard. It looks like the Miculek stock pattern and various other models from Hogue fit the bill, but I am also interested in options that might be available on the secondary market (used/older models of stocks) or from smaller makers than Altamont or Hogue. I’m not crazy about rubber or finger grooves, but I will consider all options.

I’d like to spend under $150, and I really don’t want to wait through most of the season for a pair. Any thought or suggestions?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    I've got Spegels on all of mine, but they don't sound like what you want, especially with the wait part.

Ahrends grips are a possibility. Brownell's shows them as out of stock, but you can see what they look like.

Hogues are available without finger grooves. You could also get a set of the rubber or nylon ones and have at it with a belt sander to achieve the contour you want.

VZ Grips

You might like VZ Grips Tactical model. They are very well suited to smaller sized hands. The Miculek Hogues are nice too.

Name:  6572FAFE-683E-4B82-92E4-DCC2377BF284.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  35.4 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Nothing bigger/better than these, commonly referred to as the "X frame grip":

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-gri...monogrip-black

S&W made the grip part of the frame on the biggest guns the same as the K&L frame. They don't really fit the N-frame perfectly, but you can stretch them on and they work OK.

If you try to trim off the finger grooves, you'll run into harder plastic fairly quickly.

RE speed loader clearance, I've had good luck modifying rubber grips by shaving them with a razor blade and then blending the contours with 220-grit sandpaper. Some people say to put it in the freezer so it's harder, but I haven't needed to do that on the rubber grips I've modded.

The "no finger groove" Hogue grip for the GP100 is pretty much the same in side profile, just without finger grooves. Kinda wish they'd make that for N frames.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Is the 19 Classic a square butt?

After trying Hogue finger groove rubbers, VZ Grips tactical diamonds, Ahrends tacticals with and without finger grooves, Altamont Bateleurs, Pachmayr Grippers (covered backstrap) and Pachmayr Gripper Professionals (open backstrap), the absolute best K frame square butt grip for me is the Gripper Professional. By a mile. Second choice would be the Ahrends tacticals with finger grooves.

If it's a round butt, get a set of Ahrends round butt finger groove tacticals and don't look back. Hogues are a distant second. Nothing else is worth a damn unless you have huuuuge hands in which case the various Pachmayr RB grips might work if they fit the gun (always a crap shoot with new Pachmayr products)
    https://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-par...ame-grips.html

Other options of which I have no personal experience:
    http://www.mcssl.com/store/billdavis...is-custom-grip

https://www.eaglegrips.com/29-smith-wesson-grips

I'll never again buy any of the following revolver grips:
    VZ: Too damned small. I wear a size 8 glove (so I don't have huge hands) and I barely have anything to hold on to with their square or round butt grips. They are sized for children.

Altamont: Whoever designs their grips has never held a revolver equipped with them and should be pistol whipped with same. Sharp edges everywhere they shouldn't be and a speedloader cut that is anything but.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-23-2020 at 10:12 PM.

I went through the police academy with a Security Six with the square butt Pachmayr Presentation grips. We were shooting Blazer 158 RNL and I found the combo pretty comfortable for a week or so of shooting every day.

The problem with most Pachmayr grips is that they're are either too large or too small for people with medium sized hands.

If you have average sized hands, all of their grips with the covered backstrap significantly increase reach to the trigger and all of their open backstrap grips (with the exception of the Gripper Professional) are too small.

The Gripper Professional is in a class of its own, but it's only made for S&W square butt K/L/X frames and for some Colts.

I have tried both Pachmayr Grippers and Presentation stocks with no luck. I have wide palms but short fingers, so trigger reach is an issue with covered backstraps. I’m seeing a lot of other suggestions that look like they are worth checking out.

Oh, and the 19-9 is a round butt.

I’m pretty sure Altamont made the OEM square-butt conversion target stocks, because they have all the classic Altamont features:

- very wide with no contour
    - gaps between the backstrap steel-to-wood fit
    - inexplicable sharp edges
    - poor fit to the point I had to make shims to keep the stocks from rotating around the base pin at the bottom of the grip frame under recoil
    - very pretty, well-matched wood
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I have tried both Pachmayr Grippers and Presentation stocks with no luck. I have wide palms but short fingers, so trigger reach is an issue with covered backstraps. I’m seeing a lot of other suggestions that look like they are worth checking out.

Oh, and the 19-9 is a round butt.

I’m pretty sure Altamont made the OEM square-butt conversion target stocks, because they have all the classic Altamont features:

- very wide with no contour
    - gaps between the backstrap steel-to-wood fit
    - inexplicable sharp edges
    - poor fit to the point I had to make shims to keep the stocks from rotating around the base pin at the bottom of the grip frame under recoil
    - very pretty, well-matched wood
    Yep, there's no good answer from Pachmayr for round butts and normal hands.

Your complaints about Altamont are about the same as mine. They are junk. Pretty junk, but still junk.

Just get these: https://www.topgunsupply.com/ahrends...ove-oiled.html

If you don't like them (and I doubt that), they are easy to resell.

If those turn out to be slightly too big for you, then the VZs will likely work. My fingers are long enough that VZs just need more meat to work for me.

User Tag List