Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    7.62 nato rifles battle rifles are niche items.

Shooting through light cover, shooting at longer ranges 300 to 600/800 with enough ass to do damage and doing double duty vs large animals. There may be more but that is a start.

Other wise, for general purpose - yeah 5.56 all day.
    Hey, I'll go one more....7.62 NATO 'battle rifles' are fun to shoot. A short barrel FAL? Is like you're Thor wielding Mjolnir...it's damn fun and I'm all for that as an excuse to own one.

I tend to think of high volume hog hunting as being one of the few places where we regularly see conditions that favor 'battle' rifles over other platforms here at home. And even there, a 6.5G, 6.8SPC, or .300BLK will tend to do what is needed.

I agree that 7.62 is becoming more of a "niche" round. Particularly, now that we have 6.5G and 6.5CM, we're seeing the efficacy of the 6.5mm bullet profile at longer ranges from the Creedmoor, and at shorter ranges in the Grendel - there isn't much that 7.62 does better...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-08-2018 at 03:52 PM.

These days they are there so that you have one to shoot that plentiful .308 ammunition, and because they're cool.

There's nothing an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor won't do better, other than being 1960s cool.

Everything has a term now a days that butt hurts someone. But usually they also help someone understand what you are saying. Most seem to agree what the term battle rifle represents. I used it to try and simplify what I was looking for. A large caliber semi auto rifle, that is going to be carried quite a bit. Higher in capacity and shorter in barrel. I am not pretending to be or to do anything.

I prefer to have the best tool available. Or the most useful to my given circumstances. After listening to a lot of the people here I have realized that I can use what I have for most of my needs.

You could say most all civvies are larping. If you want to be that guy. What are the chances I need to carry a reload. Or a gun that carries more then 10 rounds. Needing a rifle for home defense. But being prepared is never a bad thing. I would rather own too many tools for my job and not need them, then need a tool when it matters. So my toolbox has multiples sometimes.

Does my car need 600hp? Does my truck need 37s? Does my wife have to look better than yours? Nope. But I like it and I am still a free man. So I am going to use the shit out of what was given to me. My great grand daddy came here from France a long time a go for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on a G3 with a welded pic rail for optics and some Spuhr goodies? Their stock and hand guards are interesting, if expensive, but seem to rectify some of the traditional ergonomic complaints. Having said that, I’ve got 0 rounds through any G3 pattern rifles and limited time on a MP5.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Any thoughts on a G3 with a welded pic rail for optics and some Spuhr goodies? Their stock and hand guards are interesting, if expensive, but seem to rectify some of the traditional ergonomic complaints. Having said that, I’ve got 0 rounds through any G3 pattern rifles and limited time on a MP5.
    It’s a good option. The welded pic rail a the real game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    My very first personally owned firearm was a HK91. It was AWESOME. Heavy, kicked like a mule, but shot well (in the day, I used to be able to iron sight E-type silhouettes with it out to 800 meters - love the diopter sights!)

That said, if I was looking to go old-school retro 7.62 "battle rifle", I'd have to go with the FAL. DSA makes a pic-rail upper that would likely be plenty OK for mounting magnified optics.

Having said all that, I can't imagine what either could do that a well-built AR10 pattern rifle that takes PMags doesn't...

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    20 pounds??? Dude. My 6.5G is under 8 lbs with a scope and suppressor.
    I need the exercise. Your needs are your business.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I prefer to have the best tool available.
    The best tool available? That would be the SIG PE57 fed with 7.5x55mm GP11 ammo. And you can get one for CHF 630.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

I have owned M1As, FALs, Valmets and a Galil over the years. All had their strengths. I currently only have a HK91 -- the same one for the last 20 yrs.

There are an abundance of G3 parts and mags available at very reasonable prices. The original HK scope mounting system is not ideal, but it works acceptably for me. If you can locate an acceptable HK91 clone in your price range, I think it would meet your needs. Five round "hunting" magazines are available from a few sources.

In S. Texas, the HK91 w/ a S&B short dot, HK 30mm mount, has proven to be a very good hog and deer rifle. Spuhr makes several excellent "upgrades" should you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    I need the exercise. Your needs are your business.
    Are you sure about that weight, though? That's how much an LMG with a belt weighs.

User Tag List