Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Say "I've Got a Gun!"

Don't Say "I've Got a Gun!"

While carrying a weapon, a routine traffic stop can turn deadly if you don't know what to say. Just look at the case of Philando Castile in Minnesota. Massad Ayoob has experience on both sides of a traffic stop. Mas explains why officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted of all charges. He examines all the mistakes that Mr. Castile made that cost him his life. Understanding the correct terminology and proper movements during a traffic stop could keep you alive.

Good overview, per Mas’ usual.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

When I go through a license check I hand over my driver's license and CCW permit and have never had a problem.

He's completely wrong.

I rewatched the dashcan video. Castillo said "sir, I have to tell you I do have a firearm on me"

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    He's completely wrong.

I rewatched the dashcan video. Castillo said "sir, I have to tell you I do have a firearm on me"

Zincwarrior, please review the WC video carefully and tell us in detail what you think I had wrong.

He said politely that he had a firearm.

And he began to draw it while the officer was yelling at him not to take it out.

The point of the video was the profound difference between “I am licensed to carry” and “I have a firearm.”

Whenever I've informed a local officer that I'm (a retired LEO and) legally carrying, (required to inform in NC), the usual response is either "What are you carrying?" or "Just leave it where it is and I'll leave mine where it is".

Context, body language and wording are everything.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    And he began to draw it while the officer was yelling at him not to take it out.

The point of the video was the profound difference between “I am licensed to carry” and “I have a firearm.”
    Was there any body cam video? What we are seeing is patrol car. From the reactions of the cover officer (who wasn't really covering, IMO) he didn't see a pistol which shouldn't be surprising.

Absent from the video is any forensic evidence of where the pistol was found or where the driver's identification documents were found.

The officer testified that the driver was drawing a gun after the subject had told him he had a gun. Could the officer have been primed by the language (which was your point) and drawn and fired on the driver's movement before identifying a weapon? That seems to be the girlfriends contention.

Apparently the jury found the officer's story more compelling.

Didn't follow the case, but just the video raises those questions in my mind.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post

A fair point. I will watch the video again.

User Tag List