Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Outside my lane as I have never owned/carried an OTF knife.

Would the lighter leash cap mitigate the chance of the knife firing open in a pocket as well?

I suppose if you ran it tip down with the "cap", you would have to tie it off so you could pull the knife "clear" before opening it?
    I'd say it would further reduce the improbability of that ever happening.

The vinyl cap not only seals the blade channel with a barrier the blade would not be able to pierce via spring tension, but also holds the firing button to the rearward position and prevents it from being able to slide forward.

Site Supporter
    Stumbled upon a UTX-70 today - didn’t realize just how small they are. Anyway, now it’s mine.

Name:  F37A6A1E-DB88-4F6E-BA79-B9462F4CA6C2.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  6E4AF657-2D50-41A0-8A30-ABB6F825D044.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  52.1 KB

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Thanks to @Crusader8207, my UTX-85 has a big brother. I returned the clip to the original side because I prefer it that way for left side carry. Gave both knives a spa treatment with RemOil, and applied DragonGrip decals to the new knife.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-27-2022 at 06:42 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    How do you like the Ultratech compared to the 85 ?
    I've been kicking it back and forth between a Ultratech
    and Guardian Tactical Recon 035
    I picked up my UTX-85 T 3-4 months ago and have
    carried it pretty much every day, I usually carry a new
    knife daily for a month or so to get a feel for it but,
    the 85 has stayed there.
    Its not a great slicer but keep it sharp and it'll get
    the job done.
    Not really shifting your grip to close one handed
    is a fairly big deal for me...
    I haven't bled all over it yet.

I'm way harder on the Microtech than most of my other knives mostly because I have to be with the near axe-blunt grind angle they chose (I reprofiled it about 5 degrees but it didn't really help). I'm assuming they ship with that trash grind angle because they're a bitch to sharpen without a clamp-style sharpening system. I still carry it way more than my others because the fun factor blows them away. Sometimes, I think I should've gone DE.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    I've brought mine down a couple of degrees
    to 20 per side on my KME, and touch up on
    my Sharp Maker, I'll go a little more next time
    it goes on the KME.

Good question. I'm not sure yet. They are more different than I expected. The activation switch on the UTX-85 is right under my finger when I draw the knife, while I have to reach for it on the full size Ultratech. That might just be familiarity. Edit: the new (to me) Ultratech is also quite a bit stiffer to activate than my '85. That might get better with some break-in.

@JCL has a Guardian Recon, and I'm impressed with it. He is not easy on his gear. I recall that he had to send it back for repair after cutting branches off a sapling that was blocking a rifle shot.

I like the tanto blade, but the D/E serrated is really useful. You are right that neither is a general purpose knife for slicing fruit or whatever. I would pick a Spyderco for that any day.

My OTFs are a substitute for a support-side defensive "get off me, stay off me" blade. They can also cut stuff ok and open boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    How do you like the Ultratech compared to the 85 ?
    I've been kicking it back and forth between a Ultratech
    and Guardian Tactical Recon 035
    I picked up my UTX-85 T 3-4 months ago and have
    carried it pretty much every day, I usually carry a new
    knife daily for a month or so to get a feel for it but,
    the 85 has stayed there.
    Its not a great slicer but keep it sharp and it'll get
    the job done.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-28-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Yes, I’m very impressed with my D/E serrated Recon. I like the ergos more than I do those of Clusterfrack’s knife due mainly to its fit in my larger hands. It’s designed for right hand carry but with some practice deploying it efficiently from the left (my support side) is easy. The sapling thing was a classic case of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should.” I’m guessing that a little more diligence in cleaning the blade before stowing it would have gone a long way. Sawing through thumb sized branches with the serrations was easy, but that’s work best left to a hatchet or machete. It would be perfectly adequate for EDC not involving forestry.

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    ...It would be perfectly adequate for EDC not involving forestry.
    LOL! That seems like a solid endorsement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good question. I'm not sure yet. They are more different than I expected. The activation switch on the UTX-85 is right under my finger when I draw the knife, while I have to reach for it on the full size Ultratech. That might just be familiarity. Edit: the new (to me) Ultratech is also quite a bit stiffer to activate than my '85. That might get better with some break-in.

@JCL has a Guardian Recon, and I'm impressed with it. He is not easy on his gear. I recall that he had to send it back for repair after cutting branches off a sapling that was blocking a rifle shot.

I like the tanto blade, but the D/E serrated is really useful. You are right that neither is a general purpose knife for slicing fruit or whatever. I would pick a Spyderco for that any day.

My OTFs are a substitute for a support-side defensive "get off me, stay off me" blade. They can also cut stuff ok and open boxes.
    I find the 85 to be pretty handy, more than I thought a tanto would be,
    a little more blade would be useful but the UT seems to be mostly more handle.
    My Spyderco's, ZT's, CRK have been left in the drawer lately.
    Sounds like a Guardian Recon gets a closer look.

User Tag List