Page 86 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Might be out of the price range but a lot more build quality and made in USA.

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/...cabinet-smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'm not spending that much on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Are you set on a vertical? If so, is it due to space constraints or something else?
    I have zero space constraints. I am primarily attracted to the fact it's insulated and can be used in very cold weather. I can't smoke right now without going through a metric shit ton of charcoal and dealing with a lot of temperature fluctuation due to the freezing temps and wind. The combination of insulation and thermal mass of the water seems like it'd be a good option for smoking with snow on the ground.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I have zero space constraints. I am primarily attracted to the fact it's insulated and can be used in very cold weather. I can't smoke right now without going through a metric shit ton of charcoal and dealing with a lot of temperature fluctuation due to the freezing temps and wind. The combination of insulation and thermal mass of the water seems like it'd be a good option for smoking with snow on the ground.
    I might be inclined to go with one of the "green egg" style in that situation. Can't really beat them for insulation!

A friend also has one of these guys, which are insulated
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...-grill-series/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I've only got two smokes on it but my Weber Kamado has held temp very well in cold and wind. It also didn't break into a million pieces when the wind blew it over (this is Kansas).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I might be inclined to go with one of the "green egg" style in that situation. Can't really beat them for insulation!

A friend also has one of these guys, which are insulated
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...-grill-series/
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I've only got two smokes on it but my Weber Kamado has held temp very well in cold and wind. It also didn't break into a million pieces when the wind blew it over (this is Kansas).
    thanks for reminding me. This is what I meant to link to
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...kamado-series/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Yeah, I'm not spending that much on it.

I cooked/smoked on a charbroil kamado Akorn for 3 years. It was a good cheap one I bought to try out the kamado style cooking. It worked very well for a $300 unit but did not last due to water intrusion/rust because I didn’t bother to really take care of it. I should have bought a replacement bottom/ash collector and kept it. It does take some getting used to how to cook on it and the space was not great but the elevated rack set up makes it possible to smoke a few things at once.

AKA: SkyLine1

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I cooked/smoked on a charbroil kamado Akorn for 3 years.
    Seems kind of small. How many ribs or chicken breasts could you reasonably expect to do at a time? I see it would have more versatility in temperature range.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Seems kind of small. How many ribs or chicken breasts could you reasonably expect to do at a time? I see it would have more versatility in temperature range.
    For ribs I used a rack that would stack 3 large and 4 small (length) ribs on the sides, then a large rib on the elevated grate.

8 2-2.5lbs chuck roasts

AKA: SkyLine1

Where do you guys like to buy bulk spices? I have a Penzey's not far from me, but have to imagine there is something cheaper online. Any recommendations based on 1st hand experience?

Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Where do you guys like to buy bulk spices? I have a Penzey's not far from me, but have to imagine there is something cheaper online. Any recommendations based on 1st hand experience?
    Have you checked Sams or Costco

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Amazon can be good for some things. I like a lot of Asian foods, so, I have great luck shopping spices and various prepared seasonings (Chili Crisp, shrimp paste, etc) at the local Asian markets. There's a lot of good BBQ seasoning (packets of dry spices for cheap) with an Asian flair to be had there too....

I've had good luck with this place online... https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/ and we shop Penzy's occasionally too.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List