Page 85 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Rain, rain, rain this weekend.... So... We're stuck inside (and on the covered patio) making tacos.

Friday... Smoked Cod.
    The green stuff is shredded Brussels Sprouts with a dressing my wife made that was delish, but I didn't pay attention to what went in it.
    A couple of years ago I made some hot chow-chow with shredded brussels sprouts instead of cabbage. IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!

I will have to see if I can find the recipe.

pat

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Any reason to not buy this: https://www.bbqguys.com/backwoods-sm...er-lvpbsch3400

Any better (NON ELECTRONIC) options for the money?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I’m looking at buying my first pellet grill. I currently have a propane grill and a Masterbuilt electric smoker. The pellet grill would take over primary smoking duties, mainly ribs, pork butt, and brisket. Maybe some chicken. All of this is currently being accomplished on the MES.

Where I am stuck at is sizing. Most of the time it’s just me and the wife, may have small groups over in the 6-8 adult range. I’m leaning towards the smallest option with 340 sq in of space and a 170 sq in add on grate option. A buddy has a similar grill that’s 340 sq in and he said he’s never had a problem with enough space.

What size grill/smokers are you guys using? Have you ever needed more space? The only reason I haven’t ordered is I’m concerned I’ll regret the smaller grill but the space and dollar savings would be nice. Next size up is 590 sq in and +$300

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Any reason to not buy this: https://www.bbqguys.com/backwoods-sm...er-lvpbsch3400

The backwoods looks like a good smoker. I like the *easily* removable charcoal basket and ash pan, and it looks like it has double wall construction for better temp control.

There are a bunch of charcoal smokers that are less expensive, but require more effort to cook and or clean. I have a pit barrel cooker that I bought after my royal pellet smoker had a burn back. I had just gotten a Weber genesis propane grill so price was a big factor. Now I'd choose the chubby over the pit barrel for ease of use and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    The backwoods looks like a good smoker. I like the *easily* removable charcoal basket and ash pan, and it looks like it has double wall construction for better temp control.
    Triple wall, if I understand it correctly:

Wall *insulation* Wall *hollow area for smoke to travel* Wall

Site Supporter
    Triple wall, if I understand it correctly:

Wall *insulation* Wall *hollow area for smoke to travel* Wall
    Your post got me thinking about getting a new smoker....

Did a little searching and found this review of a related smoker (its based on the chubby) on amazing ribs https://amazingribs.com/smoker-tailg...-smoker-review

They liked it for a silver medal rating. The main gripe was that it was a moist cooking environment making it tough to get crisp skin or bark.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    Your post got me thinking about getting a new smoker....

Did a little searching and found this review of a related smoker (its based on the chubby) on amazing ribs https://amazingribs.com/smoker-tailg...-smoker-review

They liked it for a silver medal rating. The main gripe was that it was a moist cooking environment making it tough to get crisp skin or bark.

I looked at the Red Box initially, but I think it's too small for what I want. Hence moving up the food chain (heh) to the Chubby.

I looked at the Red Box initially, but I think it's too small for what I want. Hence moving up the food chain (heh) to the Chubby.
    Might be out of the price range but a lot more build quality and made in USA.

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/...cabinet-smoker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Are you set on a vertical? If so, is it due to space constraints or something else?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’m looking at buying my first pellet grill. I currently have a propane grill and a Masterbuilt electric smoker. The pellet grill would take over primary smoking duties, mainly ribs, pork butt, and brisket. Maybe some chicken. All of this is currently being accomplished on the MES.

Where I am stuck at is sizing. Most of the time it’s just me and the wife, may have small groups over in the 6-8 adult range. I’m leaning towards the smallest option with 340 sq in of space and a 170 sq in add on grate option. A buddy has a similar grill that’s 340 sq in and he said he’s never had a problem with enough space.

What size grill/smokers are you guys using? Have you ever needed more space? The only reason I haven’t ordered is I’m concerned I’ll regret the smaller grill but the space and dollar savings would be nice. Next size up is 590 sq in and +$300
    You know best how you’ll wind up using it so it's hard to answer.... I never regret having more space. We tend to smoke in bigger batches then portion and freeze what won't get eaten promptly. Pretty common to smoke a bunch of fish filets (which take a lot of space per pound) over the first few hours of smoking a butt.

That said, the space you're considering is enough to smoke a couple of racks or a couple of butts. If that's enough for you, no reason to spend more for space you don't need.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List