Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Wilson Combat 9mm Commander

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Pop your slide stop out and see if there's a little copper rub on the lobe. If there is, file it off.
    Here is my slide stop.

Name:  BC6F7ECB-31C5-4349-B0D7-8749F9E76826.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  76.3 KB

No copper but it is very tight and difficult to remove for field stripping. I really think this slide stop has something to do with the issue but it seems to only occur with 147 grain loads and mostly with 147 grain JHPs.

I’m also curious if anyone else is running Tripp Cobra mags through their Wilsons. I’m really questioning this idea that it is common for these mags not to function properly in their guns.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-09-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Can't really tell from pics, but it looks like the link is tight.

If it's only doing it with 147 hp then the bullet is hitting it. It just needs to be clearanced a bit.

Swap slide stops with one of your other Wilson's?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Here is my slide stop. I’m also curious if anyone else is running Tripp Cobra mags through their Wilsons. I’m really questioning this idea that it is common for these mags not to function properly in their guns.
    I have a full-size, all-steel CQB-E 9mm that's about five years old. It's had thousands of rounds through it, mostly inexpensive 115gr FMJ, but also a variety of 115, 124 and 147 gr JHP. Best I can recall, the only failures it has had were a few failures to lock back on the last round, which were caused by my off-hand thumb riding the slide stop. In fact, the 9mm has been more consistently reliable than a similar CQB in .45 (which itself rarely has any sort of failure).

And my 9mm mag mixture is about 1/3 Wilsons and 2/3 Tripp Cobras (about 6 or 8 of the latter), all the standard 10-rd variety. All have worked fine, but I like the Tripp mags better, because the tube is a shade longer, allowing 10 rounds to fit more easily than in the Wilson mags. I'd not think the problem is the Tripp mags.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Swap slide stops with one of your other Wilson's?
    My other Wilsons are either 45s, EDCX9, or customized Berettas. So, the slide stops in those guns are not compatible with a 9mm 1911; the geometry on 45 and 9mm slide stops are different and 9mm parts are marked with a “9”.

Interestingly, I do have one other full size 9mm 1911. This CCU was customized by Wilson at roughly the same time the CQB Elite was being built.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ression/page11

It got a Wilson slide stop and came back with JHP feeding issues that were partially resolved with Tripp mags. I’ve chronicled my frustrations with that gun that I’d hoped were behind me. Unfortunately, I had 2 malfunctions with this CCU and Tripp mags last week with HST, and at least 1 was a premature slide lock (I was running drills on the other malfunction and quickly cleared what I thought was a FTF without checking the slide lock position). I’m taking it back out to the range with my GoPro to see if the slide stop on this gun is also misbehaving.

Just got back from the range with the CCU customized by Wilson. The was 1 FTF out of 50 rounds fired with 147 grain HST using ETM mags. It cycled 50 rounds of 124 grain AE without issue. No problems with premature slide lock. So, the slide stop does not appear to be an issue for this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Just got back from the range with the CCU customized by Wilson. The was 1 FTF out of 50 rounds fired with 147 grain HST using ETM mags. It cycled 50 rounds of 124 grain AE without issue. No problems with premature slide lock. So, the slide stop does not appear to be an issue for this gun.
    The only 10-rd mags that properly feed fairly wide nose JHP like the HST are the current generation WC ETM mags with the metal follower. Other makers 10 rd mags do not have the same reliability with JHP's as the ETM's since most do not have a front booster ramp.

What you can try is use a 15# recoil spring when shooting the 147 HST's. The 10rd mags are stiff when fully loaded and the heavier spring will enhance feeding and allow that flatter ogive bullet to skip up the ramp a little more positively. I carry SV 147 HST in my Wilson Commander and it is 100% reliable once the mags were broken in and I use a slightly heavier 15# recoil spring (Stock weight is 12 pounds..)

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/COMM...cID1/mID1/dID2

We only sell a 12# or a 17# or I would send you one. You can also clip a 16# 5" spring to fit...

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    We only sell a 12# or a 17# or I would send you one. You can also clip a 16# 5" spring to fit...
    Perhaps try a flat wire recoil spring? I'm currently running a 13# flat wire in my 9mm CQB Elite Carry with good results. I have a 15# spring that I've yet to try. I seem to recall ToddG ran a 15# flat wire spring by the end of his Springfield 9mm 1911 testing.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wi...oductinfo/774/
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Perhaps try a flat wire recoil spring? I'm currently running a 13# flat wire in my 9mm CQB Elite Carry with good results. I have a 15# spring that I've yet to try. I seem to recall ToddG ran a 15# flat wire spring by the end of his Springfield 9mm 1911 testing.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wi...oductinfo/774/
    He is using a Commander. That rod or spring will not work. I have had great results clipping a 16# Govt model spring.......

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    He is using a Commander. That rod or spring will not work. I have had great results clipping a 16# Govt model spring.......
    @Sensei ‘s is a 5” CQB Elite.

User Tag List