Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Red dot sights vs. Iron sights

Better availability of holsters if you're going with the CTC option as well; assuming there's a LaserGrip available for your pistol. To this day the M&P LaserGrip is the best integrated laser I've ever played with, and the one I'd recommend without hesitation to people.

I like a green laser with an RDS equipped pistol...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Crimson Trace's CS is some of the best in the business, IME. I've had issues with some of their stuff durability-wise over the years, but their response has always been phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    I feel like it slows my initial shot way down. I never felt that way in IPSC. So I attribute this to the much smaller window of slide mounted red dots......
    Just a disclaimer that my observations are probably akin to tinkering, I have not put in a lot of dedicated time on this like I have rifle optics.
    This is more or less why I don't carry a MRDS pistol. I've never spent a full second wobbling an iron sighted gun around looking for the front sight. I've done that with my race gun; that I've shot 15k rounds through in the past year and spent hundreds of hours with in dry fire practice.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    This is more or less why I don't carry a MRDS pistol. I've never spent a full second wobbling an iron sighted gun around looking for the front sight. I've done that with my race gun; that I've shot 15k rounds through in the past year and spent hundreds of hours with in dry fire practice.
    I was at a two day match this weekend, and there were five CO shooters in my squad. I didn't have to hunt for the dot once over the about 400 rounds of the match. However, I spent a bunch of time watching my squad mates hunt for the dot, despite a number of them being open shooters.

That said, last weekend I was at a match, and one stage was a 20 second fixed par to take three arrays of steel. When I drew, I couldn't find the dot, and I am still not sure if the dot had blinked out (subsequently that dot started blinking out in recoil last week and I had to replace the Pro) or I just couldn't find it. I stood there for what seemed like eternity, finally just broke a shot, and then regained the dot. Here is the pain.

https://youtu.be/Qa6Q6U-bW9U

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ugh, I could feel your pain! It only happens anymore when I get forced into a strange position/ weak hand only. Given the amount of practice I do with that gun and compare that to what I'm willing to put in on my carry gun (which would be at the expense of the race gun), I'm happy to rock the iron sights for carry.

I just shot a match in single stack division with only around 2 hours of combined dry fire the week prior, and came in second. So I'm reasonably confidant in my shooting ability with the irons, even if it felt ridiculously slow. I did learn that I need to do that a bit more often than once a year though, the first stage was rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The RMR's battery life under typical use is measured in months.

I typically use setting #7, and change my batteries every 6 months generally.
    I change once a year. One year I forgot with that battery lasting about 20 months before it died. That is with my original RM02.

Our original RMR02's went over 3 years without a battery change.

My current training G19 with RMR06 is using a battery from September 2012 and is still working, although it gets turned off when not in use. My current daily carry G19 with RMR 06 had its battery last replaced in Feb 2015 and is still working just fine--it also gets turned off at the end of the day.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Our original RMR02's went over 3 years without a battery change.

My current training G19 with RMR06 is using a battery from September 2012 and is still working, although it gets turned off when not in use. My current daily carry G19 with RMR 06 had its battery last replaced in Feb 2015 and is still working just fine--it also gets turned off at the end of the day.
    I have been meaning to try something with a smaller dot and manual overide, but I have had such good luck with that 02 that I didn't want to be disappointed.

I have had zero issues with RMR battery life, with my original 02 models lasting multiple years, and I changed them even though they were still working. DP Pro is a different story.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List