Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critical Review of a Kimber 1911

Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post

The 10mm extractors:

I see the little tensioning bump is missing on the Kimber. Makes me wonder if they used the same extractor on the 10/40 as the 9mm because for a while the were purposely shipping the 9mm with a 40 breachface.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I see the little tensioning bump is missing on the Kimber. Makes me wonder if they used the same extractor on the 10/40 as the 9mm because for a while the were purposely shipping the 9mm with a 40 breachface.
    FYI - those are both Kimber extractors. The black one is from Desert Warrior. Both extractors have machining flaws that cause me concern. The botched cut on the DW one really is nasty in real life.

I'm checking feed ramps and mag well right now. There is a wider variatiion between guns (the feed ramps) than I'd be comfortable with, especially since all these were made on CNC equipment. I'll be using the Colt's as the frame of reference for the 45s, and the Wilson for the 10mm.

Gotta get some work done first, though.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    FYI - those are both Kimber extractors. The black one is from Desert Warrior. Both extractors have machining flaws that cause me concern. The botched cut on the DW one really is nasty in real life.
    That lateral seam, do you think that is a casting artifact?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That lateral seam, do you think that is a casting artifact?
    No, would be MIM. You can't effectively cast steel w/ a parting mould. It would need to be an investment cast part - meaning no "parting line."

For the record: I'd buy a properly MIM'ed S5 extractor all day long. Foregoing my usual WC Bulletproof extractor w/o hesitation.

Note about that extractor: The bevel on the extractor is nearly non existant. The DW has a great bevel - and no parting line.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    No, would be MIM. You can't effectively cast steel w/ a parting mould. It would need to be an investment cast part - meaning no "parting line."

For the record: I'd buy a properly MIM'ed S5 extractor all day long. Foregoing my usual WC Bulletproof extractor w/o hesitation.
    Sorry, that was imprecise terminology on my part.

I'm not at all a MIM hater, although I have grown leery of Kimber's ability to, as you so aptly put it, 'properly MIM'.

FWIW, I don't think that Kimber's problems stem from them using some special, non-standard dimensioning on their pistols, but from an amazingly casual level of QC for the price point, a rarely*-equaled-in-the-industry willingness to allow customers to be beta testers, and a constant quest for cost-cutting measures to increase profit margins on an inherently low-profit-margin design (cf. the aforementioned 9/.40 breechface issue.)

*(*cough4thGenGlockcough*)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Sorry, that was imprecise terminology on my part.

I'm not at all a MIM hater, although I have grown leery of Kimber's ability to, as you so aptly put it, 'properly MIM'.

FWIW, I don't think that Kimber's problems stem from them using some special, non-standard dimensioning on their pistols, but from an amazingly casual level of QC for the price point, a rarely*-equaled-in-the-industry willingness to allow customers to be beta testers, and a constant quest for cost-cutting measures to increase profit margins on an inherently low-profit-margin design (cf. the aforementioned 9/.40 breechface issue.)

*(*cough4thGenGlockcough*)
    From what I've seen thus far, I tend to agree. I think the "non standard" dimensions bit is unfounded.

I have a TLEII to look at now too. On examination, the feed ramps of both Kimbers look cut at different orientation to the mag well.

RE the rusting, I work for a master Kimber dealer and maybe 1/5 guns they ship have some form of rust on them out of the box. Guns that have been sitting in the display case longer than a month or so start to get speckling on the barrel or barrel hood regardless of how much oil they have on them initially. We have a bag of steel wool sitting on the gun bench in the back specifically for touching up guns before customers buy them... So this is definitely not a rare occurrence.

I've seen some pretty embarrassing extractors, including ones so tight that the gun would not chamber a round from the magazine because the round couldn't slide under the hook.

We have some Kimbers in inventory for the folks on SRT to use if they so choose. The one our K9 handler was issued was rusting constantly as his air conditioning had to always be on due to the K9. The AC put enough moisture into the cab to rust the pistol. He swapped pistols with one of the guys working in the jail whose pistol had a better finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    We have some Kimbers in inventory for the folks on SRT to use if they so choose. The one our K9 handler was issued was rusting constantly as his air conditioning had to always be on due to the K9. The AC put enough moisture into the cab to rust the pistol. He swapped pistols with one of the guys working in the jail whose pistol had a better finish.
    Another 1911?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Another 1911?
    Yes. The K9 handler had a TLE/RL II, and the other guy had one of the Tactical Entry HD II models.

We are considering trading off the Kimbers on M&P45s but our S&W rep doesn't seem to interested in doing business.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List