Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N-frame carry sights.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

N-frame carry sights.

Attachment 705

In much the same way that I have a .405 Winchester barrel for my Encore in case, you know, a lion gets out of the zoo, I also have this Model 57 in case I ever find myself walking around where there are wild critters larger and having more fangs than a whitetail deer. (It's been with me the few times I've gone deer hunting, too.)

The one thing that it really needs fixed are the sights. It has the fragile factory sure-snag sharkfin with white outline on the back, and the marginally-more-hi-viz-than-stock red ramp up front.

I'm torn between the adjustable Bowen Rough Country, and the fixed C&S Extreme Duty. The C&S is obviously the more rugged and less snaggy of the two, but then I'm dialed in for only one load. Anybody have experience with both, or strong preferences one way or the other?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I have had both of the options you mentioned installed before and I liked the Bowen Rough Country better than the C&S sight. The bowen unit is very rugged and less likely to snag than the factory sight, plus for me it provided a better sight picture than the C&S option. Plus, with the Bowen sight you can switch rear sight blades for varying heights and designs -- it's a great product IMO.

I started using the Bowen rear sight, and have them on my Bowen Alpine and a N frame or two. Over time, I realized that the Bowen rear sight has less windage adjustment than the factory sight, and while it looks beefier, I don't break my N frame factory rear sights. Since I need a right rear deflection of my rear sight, windage is important to me. On the other hand, I love the Bowen DX front sight, and have them on most every N frame I own.

I carried a M19 as a Police Officer for close to three years. I carried a M19 for 16 years as a Special Agent for a Federal Agency before switching to a SIG P228 and later P229. I have never broke a rear sight on a S&W revolver. I have never met anyone who did. Could it happen? yes Has it happened? Probably, you could drop it on the sidewalk or a concrete floor. I like to have an adjustable rear sight, especially on a revolver. By the way, I have two "quad ported" revolvers, a M629 Mountain Gun and a M625 45ACP Mountain Gun. They both came with black rear sights and black ramp front sights. I like that Magnaporting. Enjoy your M57.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I have never broke a rear sight on a S&W revolver. I have never met anyone who did.
    I have.

Broken one, I mean.

Rear sight blade on an M629 Mountain Gun against the door frame of a fire door. I've seen a few other busted ones.

More important than the breakage issue is the razor-sharp rear sight assembly. I've drawn blood off the inside of my delicate right wrist more times than I can count when OC'ing an adjustable-sight Smith wheelie...

As long as we are talking N frames, I have found the regular Hogue rubber grips, with the finger grooves buzzed off, to be wonderful (slight exaggeration, but you get the point) on recoil, and to even improve the feel of the trigger pull on every N frame I have tried them on. However, I don't like the softer Hogue grips that come with the .500's, as they grab rather than slide in my hand, tearing skin. Since I mostly have .44 magnum Scandium N frames, the grips are a very important part of the package -- and wood grips hurt by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have found the regular Hogue rubber grips, with the finger grooves buzzed off, to be wonderful
    Personally, I hate the neoprene Hogues for the way they stick to clothes.

I've been meaning to replace the smooth hardwood Hogue on that 57 with some Eagle Secret Service grips for years now.

I had Bowen sights on my 625 and 686 when I initially started shooting revo in competition. I ended up switching them out for the C&S extreme duty which rally found to be, we'll, just better for rapid target aquisition. More light around the front post from the CS model and the near indestructability of same made them a winner in my book. If I ever start shooting revo seriously again they'll have Extreme duty sights.

Okay, yeah, those are kinda sexy right there. (The schweet sample photos helped.)

I think that and a gold bead front would be pretty much what I'm looking for...

User Tag List