Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend A Spotting Scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Call out the correction in target fractions (up one full plate, right half a plate). The shooter can translate that to an angle using his reticle.
    Good point. I do that as well, but with small targets I strongly prefer mil calls. I also think there's a lot to be learned by being the spotter, and a mil-reticle scope makes a big difference.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good point. I do that as well, but with small targets I strongly prefer mil calls. I also think there's a lot to be learned by being the spotter, and a mil-reticle scope makes a big difference.
    Totally agree. The target fractions is a workaround since neither my spotter, nor most of them, come with a reticle.

I bought my Kowa 601 20 years ago to read mirage and target spotters when shooting NRA highpower.

How about this:
    Bushnell Legend T Series 781545ED 15-45X60 Fde Flp Mil Hash Reticle Box 5L
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BNSHXCU/

$500
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-20-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I have very good results from a cheap used KONUS out to about 800 yards. After that it's "cheap" quality optics make it harder to see hits. With good lighting, I can see hits to 1000 but even with best possible lighting, etc. cannot see at 1200 yards.

How about this:
    Bushnell Legend T Series 781545ED 15-45X60 Fde Flp Mil Hash Reticle Box 5L
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BNSHXCU/

$500
    I would second this recommendation. I have one of these that I carry around to long range matches. It is well worth the price of admission. If you are police, firefighter, military they have a discount that it would behoove you look into.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have very good results from a cheap used KONUS out to about 800 yards. After that it's "cheap" quality optics make it harder to see hits. With good lighting, I can see hits to 1000 but even with best possible lighting, etc. cannot see at 1200 yards.
    Hits on freshly painted steel, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Hits on freshly painted steel, I assume.
    Ha. A Kowa scope isn’t going to see paper holes at 800y, much less a Konus.

Man, that’s a tough choice. I recommend getting a spotting scope with a Mil reticle. Actually, I wouldn’t own one that didn’t have one. Otherwise, how can the spotter call misses or adjustments?

Looks like you can get a Vortex Razor HD scope and a mil reticle eyepiece for around $1500.

But... your budget is 1/3 of that... maybe look for a used one?
    Problem is the mil reticles greatly reduce the number of scope choices. And used $1500 scopes rarely depreciate to a third of original price.

Another problem is the OP isn’t a sniper trying to kill the Viet Cong tax collector. He’s hasn’t mentioned anything about needing it for his spotter buddy calling out corrections.
    Last edited by BigD; 01-22-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post

Don’t forget to get a decent tripod that will be stable for high magnification viewing.
    Big +1 on that.

I've got an older Leupold I got from Cabelas years ago. Scope is fine for what its price was, but the included tripod sucks. Any minor breeze will make you think you're observing an earthquake.

cc

User Tag List