Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: think about it

Quote Originally Posted by donoo View Post
    Many young men spend thousands of hours playing violent
    video games. The purpose of these games is to kill as many of the targets as possible. as fast as they can.
    Then they watch violent movies and violent TV.
    Many also listen to violent music telling them to kill the cops and.do other unspeakable things .
    Paintball games let them sharpen their skills of make-believe murder.

Do you think---------No, it could not be and besides it makes millions of dollars for certain people and that is what counts in the usa!

This is also a point directly made by Col. Grossman in his research and writing of "On Killing". He makes the exact same arguments, except he uses an entire chapter, doesn't directly blame capitalism, and emphasizes the impact on the youth of America.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    This is also a point directly made by Col. Grossman in his research and writing of "On Killing". He makes the exact same arguments, except he uses an entire chapter, doesn't directly blame capitalism, and emphasizes the impact on the youth of America.
    Sean,

Can you offer your opinion on the writing you speak of? I spoke to two guys who grew up during WW2 and they were mentioning video games and TV and I just couldn't wrap my brain around the 'real' tough world these guys grew up in vs the make believe' tough world most of us grow up in today and somehow square that our make believe time has turned a generation into monsters.

Is it really TV or video game violence that makes someone more violent? Or is it more likely apathy and a sense of robotic like steps that many children are "encouraged" (drugged often) to follow in the name of 'success' that causes them to snap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Sean,

Can you offer your opinion on the writing you speak of? I spoke to two guys who grew up during WW2 and they were mentioning video games and TV and I just couldn't wrap my brain around the 'real' tough world these guys grew up in vs the make believe' tough world most of us grow up in today and somehow square that our make believe time has turned a generation into monsters.

Is it really TV or video game violence that makes someone more violent? Or is it more likely apathy and a sense of robotic like steps that many children are "encouraged" (drugged often) to follow in the name of 'success' that causes them to snap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Psychology and Sociology are not really my area of expertise.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Vampire: the Masquerade...Or it doesn't count.
    I've got that down. In spades, in fact, since I almost invariably wind up as a Malkavian (that's VtM for bat$***-on-a-sandwich insane for those on this board who might have social lives...).

Earliest clear memory: Listening to Alice Cooper when I was 2 years old.

Socially awkward: check

Heavily bullied in school: check, right up through 5th grade til I stood up for myself

Dark, twisted sense of humor: check

Heavy metal: What's life with out the Big Four? Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer, for those who aren't metalheads.

Martial Arts: check

Been around guns all my life? Heck yeah.

Video games? From CoD and MoH to Fallout and Mercs to Skyrim and Mass Effect (Glenn Beck can eat my shorts for his knee-jerk reaction to that particular series), I've got it covered. Heck, I still break out Doom, Painkiller, and Duck Nukem 3D from time to time.

Manifestly NOT a homicidal maniac and currently serve the country. I feel like an A.I. trying to make sense of a logical paradox here...

User Tag List